News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

A833 locked up!! Help!

Started by dstryr, April 19, 2009, 07:05:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dstryr

I backed the car out of the drive and tried putting car in 1st gear and pretty much could tell it was locked up.  Put it into 3rd and put it back in the driveway.  I've tried rocking the car, soft clutch dumps in 3rd gear and put the car on jack stands and taken the shifter rods out of the throws but can not get it to pop loose.  Any ideas?  Its going to be dark soon and I would like to put it away for the night :yesnod: 
dstryr, since 1986.

Bill of Rights
Must be 18. Void where prohibited. Not available in all states. Some restrictions apply.

Dans 68

You can put it in 3rd gear right now? Or is it totally locked up? If you cannot move the shift levers with the shift rods out at all then you have a problem that probably can only be resolved with a rebuild. Normally if the transmission is stuck such that you cannot select the gear you want it is a result of binding between the shifter levers (my experience) caused by improperly adjusted shift rods or a sloppy shifter (it's not an Inland, is it?  :P).

Let us know what happens. Good luck.

Dan

Edit: It may take a lot of elbow grease to move the shift levers. Don't be afraid of breaking something.
1973 SE 400 727  1 of 19,645                                        1968 383 4bbl 4spds  2 of 259

dstryr

I could put it in 3rd or 4th gear and move the car.  In 1st or 2nd it won't move because it is also stuck in reverse.  I put the car on jack stands and removed all the levers and I can not get it out of reverse and do not want to beat on it.  The shifter is sloppy, but it is a Hurst.  Last time this happened I crawled under, moved it out of reverse by hand and didn't look back.  That was last summer.  Incidentally,  I do have a rebuild kit that just came in UPS.  Looks like I'll be dropping the tranny this week. 
dstryr, since 1986.

Bill of Rights
Must be 18. Void where prohibited. Not available in all states. Some restrictions apply.

Dans 68

Good luck! Take some pics if you see anything out of the ordinary. Or do a photo "how to" on rebuilding the A833 if you have the time. Good learning tool.  :2thumbs:

Dan
1973 SE 400 727  1 of 19,645                                        1968 383 4bbl 4spds  2 of 259

dstryr

Thanks, Dan :cheers:

It's been 20 years since I rebuilt a Muncie M-20 and this shouldn't be too difficult to do in a weekend as long as there are no damaged parts. I have the bearings and synchros from Brewer's that literally came in on Thursday.  I wasn't anticipating doing the trans until the motor came out for the stroker swap I'm doing.  Looks like I'll have plenty of time to spend on the trans and z-bar and also get some of the pulleys and brackets blasted and re-painted since I won't be able to pick up the motor for a week or so.  Last thing my machinist needs to do for the motor is to get the heads on and order custom push rods. 
dstryr, since 1986.

Bill of Rights

John_Kunkel

There is a Reverse lockout feature that prevents engaging Reverse and 1st at the same time, if the Reverse lever in the case gets tangled with the interlock in the side cover it can jam Reverse. Simply removing the side cover ans installing it like the FSM says will usually fix it.
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

Supercharged Riot

Hey dstryr I'm in the same club!  My A833 is stuck in 1st gear (!). :flame: :brickwall:

I detached my shift linkages and was able to move my gears a little, but I didnt try too hard.  next thing  im mgoing to do is take apart myu car a lil and pull my shifter out and see it it's actually the one thing that's locking up.  I'll keep u guys posted also. good luck. Id like to know what happened also.

-C

Here's my thread...

http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,55483.0.html

dstryr

Haven't had a chance to get under the car.  Hope to try Thurs or Fri.
dstryr, since 1986.

Bill of Rights

Supercharged Riot