News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Tranny fluid is brown

Started by RECHRGD, November 19, 2008, 07:22:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RECHRGD

Quote from: Runner on November 23, 2008, 02:20:05 AM
bob, tci has a terrible reputation for there trannies, i have no personal experiance though.  i did use a tci rebiuld kit in my tranny and it came with nice stuff.    i think you should see if john kunkel will biuld you one. id bet you would end up with a very nice tranny. im not sure if he does that kind of thing though.     it seems really hard to get good tranny work done, i dont know why but in this area it seems tranny shops and meth seem to go hand in hand.

Good to hear from you Mike.  I do remember years ago people complaining about the TCI converters.  I'll do some more research and maybe PM John.  I want to get the car together and get some time slips this spring!  At least I've got a 4 post lift now, so my old bones don't have to lie under the car on jack stands to do this. ;D
13.53 @ 105.32

gtx6970

metal debris / shavings of any size is not going to do a convertor ( or a coolor ) any good and no way would I re-use it without either replacement or extensive ( read cut it open)  rebuild

has the coolor been power flushed on each teardown ? if not this is most likely your problem source

Ghoste

Yep, get junk in the cooler once and you can easily end up living with it for a very long time.  It's another reason why bolting on an unknown used cooler is a bad idea IMO.  Ditto on converters.

RECHRGD

The cooler was a brand new unit because of the higher stall converter I went to this year.  It could not have been the source of the trouble.  I doubt that the new T/A converter was the cause (this is NOT a cheap converter).  I will be sure to flush the cooler and I think I'll go ahead and get new cooler lines.  The ones on there now are original, as far as I can tell.  Thanks,  Bob
13.53 @ 105.32

firefighter3931

Bob, if you are looking for a new trans check out CRT....John builds nice stuff.  :2thumbs:

I would install new lines and flush the converter and cooler out before installation.  :Twocents:

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

RECHRGD

Quote from: firefighter3931 on November 24, 2008, 09:32:43 AM
Bob, if you are looking for a new trans check out CRT....John builds nice stuff.  :2thumbs:

I would install new lines and flush the converter and cooler out before installation.  :Twocents:

Ron

Thanks Ron!  I'll check em out.
13.53 @ 105.32

lisiecki1

i've heard good things about cope racing transmissions www.coperacingtrans.com

anyone have any negative issues with them?

myself personally, i had a negative transmission experience many years ago and opted to build my own this time around...alto clutches, kolene steels, kevlar bands, bolt in sprague, stage 3 valve body, some drag racer tricks that help fluid flow, etc.....if memory serves me I only spent around 500 bucks on parts and built it in a weekend.....

i have a great book on building the 727 if you're interested i can find a link where you can purchase it....
Remember the average response time to a 911 call is over 4 minutes.

The average response time of a 357 magnum is 1400 FPS.

http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,52527.0.html

Runner

come on bob, if your going to lay out some cash for a well biult tranny go ahead and step up to a 5 speed manual in that bad boy.

71 roadrunner 452 e heads  11.35@119 mph owned sence 1984
72 panther pink satellite sebring plus 383 727
68 satellite 383 4 speed  13.80 @ 102 mph  my daily driver
69 superbee clone 440    daughters car
72 dodge dart swinger slant six

RECHRGD

Quote from: lisiecki1 on November 24, 2008, 05:46:00 PM
i've heard good things about cope racing transmissions www.coperacingtrans.com

anyone have any negative issues with them?

myself personally, i had a negative transmission experience many years ago and opted to build my own this time around...alto clutches, kolene steels, kevlar bands, bolt in sprague, stage 3 valve body, some drag racer tricks that help fluid flow, etc.....if memory serves me I only spent around 500 bucks on parts and built it in a weekend.....

i have a great book on building the 727 if you're interested i can find a link where you can purchase it....

Thanks!  Cope Racing looks like a good option along with CRT.  I don't think I'm up to doing the tranny myself.  I'm so old I can't remember what I did five minutes ago, much less having to concentrate on one thing for a whole weekend. :icon_smile_big:  Bob

Quote from: Runner on November 24, 2008, 08:18:42 PM
come on bob, if your going to lay out some cash for a well biult tranny go ahead and step up to a 5 speed manual in that bad boy.

Geeeze Mike, I'm still just getting used to the gear vendors O/D.  Where would I set my beer if I had to shift the car?  :rotz:
13.53 @ 105.32

lisiecki1

Quote from: Runner on November 24, 2008, 08:18:42 PM

Geeeze Mike, I'm still just getting used to the gear vendors O/D.  Where would I set my beer if I had to shift the car?  :rotz:
[/quote]

if you do look at manual options, talk to me about the gear vendors overdrive :D :2thumbs:
Remember the average response time to a 911 call is over 4 minutes.

The average response time of a 357 magnum is 1400 FPS.

http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,52527.0.html

BigBlockSam

Quotetci has a terrible reputation for there trannies

i've never read about TCI's reputation . i only know that i've had mine 8 yrs with no problems
I won't be wronged, I wont be Insulted and I wont be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to others, and I require the same from them.

[IMG]http://i45.tinypic.com/347b5v5.jpg[/img

62 Max

Quote from: idahogrumpy on November 22, 2008, 02:30:41 PM
Older kits used gaskets. I have one that uses gaskets, it was from B@M. Kyle

Depends on who's you buy.Put a Direct Connection deep pan on a 64 Dart that I changed to a  340/727.That was in 1975.Same pan,same extension with O-ring.

RECHRGD

I haven't heard anything one way or the other on their trannys.  I know several years ago that the guys over on moparts.com were complaining that their converters were junk.  That was a long time ago and maybe their quality control has improved over the years.  It's funny how a company can get a bad reputation and never be able to rid itself of it.  Bob
13.53 @ 105.32

Runner

Quote from: 62 Max on November 25, 2008, 01:18:21 PM

Depends on who's you buy.Put a Direct Connection deep pan on a 64 Dart that I changed to a  340/727.That was in 1975.Same pan,same extension with O-ring.

around 1990 i bought my mpoar performance deep pan and it came with a paper gasket.

tan top

Quote from: Runner on November 25, 2008, 05:27:02 PM
Quote from: 62 Max on November 25, 2008, 01:18:21 PM

around 1990 i bought my mpoar performance deep pan and it came with a paper gasket.

like i mentioned   !!  paper in mine ....  think it was 05 i got it ...  the pan is not as cast either !! its black in color so its the later type  :yesnod:
Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

RECHRGD

I talked to John Cope (CRT) today and ordered his 727-2 Super Street automatic.  It's rated at 450hp and I was thinking of going up to the next level to his pro-street unit, but he said the Super Street would be fine for my build and driving habits.  It should be here in about three weeks.  He'll be sending it with a junk tailpiece for shipping purposes only, as I'll be bolting on the gear vendors unit to it.  Hopefully this will be the last of my tranny issues for many years.  Bob
13.53 @ 105.32

Runner

ive been wondering about you bob.   how much snow did you end up with? im really sick of winter!        im sure crt will biuld you a nice tranny

RECHRGD

Quote from: Runner on January 20, 2009, 07:19:30 PM
ive been wondering about you bob.   how much snow did you end up with? im really sick of winter!        im sure crt will biuld you a nice tranny

Hi Mike!  Spokane got over 6 feet of snow in December (all time record) and we usually get about 25% more out here in the sticks.  I quit counting after about 4 feet.  The driveway is solid ice and not melting away any time soon.  Yea, a tropical island sounds good right now.  Anyway, in 2 or 3 months I'll be back in the Charger and all will be well with the world.  Bob
13.53 @ 105.32

firefighter3931

Great news on the tranny, Bob  :2thumbs: Hopefully these small issues are behind you forever and you can get some seat time in the car this year. I'm looking forward to your first track report with the upgraded engine combination.  :icon_smile_big:

Dang, that's a lot of snow.  :P Last winter we had over 14ft total accumulation...not nearly as bad this year but still heavy enough.  :-\

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

RECHRGD

Quote from: firefighter3931 on January 21, 2009, 10:28:54 AM
Great news on the tranny, Bob  :2thumbs: Hopefully these small issues are behind you forever and you can get some seat time in the car this year. I'm looking forward to your first track report with the upgraded engine combination.  :icon_smile_big:

Dang, that's a lot of snow.  :P Last winter we had over 14ft total accumulation...not nearly as bad this year but still heavy enough.  :-\

Ron

14 feet???!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! and I'm whining. :o :o :o  I'm hoping to get all the little issues dealt with too.  I still need to get the pinion angle dialed in better, deal with a couple of electrical issues, get new bushings for the leaf springs and better header gaskets.  I'm pretty sure that last tranny was slipping from the get-go and probably affected the dyno numbers somewhat.  So, yea, some time slips will tell the real story. :yesnod: :yesnod:   Bob
13.53 @ 105.32

RECHRGD

Thought I'd finish off this old post with good news.  The new CRT tranny is awesome and I can really feel more power making it to the wheels.  It does have a noticeable clunk on the 2/3 shift under light throttle, but I think that is something that just happens with the transgo shift kit.  Bob
13.53 @ 105.32