News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

.509 VS .484

Started by MoparMotel, November 09, 2005, 10:24:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MoparMotel

I am thinking about which cam to get but cannot decide. I want a .509 becuase of how they sound at idle. I really want that loppy sound at idle, that sounds awesome. Does the .484 still idle a little irratic?

Thanks Nick
1968 Dodge Charger

darkside

The lsa on a cam is what determines its sound.the 484 lift cam that mopar makes has a nice choppy idle.

Ghoste

I have the 484 and it's a nice sounding idle.  Personally, I care more about how it performs in the other parts of the rpm range though.

cudaken

484 has a nasty little idle as well no mistaking it for being a stocker. Like I have said, I have ran both and need to stick the 484 back in the Runner.

Cuda Ken

I am back

Duey

But if you have a high stall converter (like 3500-3800 rpm) and a 4.10 SG, then I figure a .509 should work reasonably well, right?

Cheers,
Duey
73 SE Brougham, F3 , 440, 850 Pro-form, 727 w TA 10", 4.10SG

Runner

what motor?  a 440 mellows a cam our a fair bit over what it sounds like in a 383.   

71 roadrunner 452 e heads  11.35@119 mph owned sence 1984
72 panther pink satellite sebring plus 383 727
68 satellite 383 4 speed  13.80 @ 102 mph  my daily driver
69 superbee clone 440    daughters car
72 dodge dart swinger slant six

Ghoste

I was going to reply that the 484 in my 383 car isn't that bad.  It has a nice lope but it doesn't sound like a snarling beast that can barely run under 1200 rpm.  Then I remembered what a difference it makes opening the headers in my combo.  It's very loud even by open header standards.  It also has a distinctive snap to it when opened. 
Is it the rod length that makes this difference?

8WHEELER

Street car 484, Street Strip car 484, Strip only car I would still run a 484 but a 509 under
strip use only tuned properly will out run a 484 on the top end for sure. I ran the 509 for
about a year street and strip ''90% street, and it was a pain in the but to be happy with
the same tune for both application. The 509 can sound a bit more nasty but the 484 sounds
great as well but will not give you fits to drive on the street, I run a 2600 stall behind my 440.

Dan
74 Dart Sport 360, just for added fun.

Ghoste

I will add one exception to that even though we are discussing cam use for a 440.  The 483 when it's used in a 383 doesn't make a whole lot of vacuum.  Enough to streetable but just quite not enough to make carb tuning a snap.

8WHEELER

Yep the 509 will have 3-4 inch's less vacuum than the 484, so manual brakes are a must, not that the
484 cam has enough but some people I have talked to can run the 484 with power brakes.

Dan
74 Dart Sport 360, just for added fun.

Ghoste

This would be the part where I raise my hand for 383's with 484 cams and power brakes.  It stops, but it wouldn't take much of a leak to leave me needing more foot pressure.

RD

I have a 484 in my 400.  I have the idle set at 1000 rpm in neutral, slap in drive it goes to 800 rpm.  stock converter.  nice choppy idle, but does not die.  I always get a thumbs up or a "man that sounds healthy" remark.
67 Plymouth Barracuda, 69 Plymouth Barracuda, 73 Charger SE, 75 D100, 80 Sno-Commander

RT DAVE

I think you should consider how well the cam will actually work in your setup as opposed to what it will sound like.   If you are going on sound alone, go with the 509.  If you want to know what will actually work best in your car, we need to know the car, trans, stall speed, rear end gear, break system (if you like being able to stop)...   
68 CHARGER RT<br />06 MAGNUM RT<br />02 INTREPID SXT

RT DAVE

Quote from: Duey on November 09, 2005, 02:06:24 PM
But if you have a high stall converter (like 3500-3800 rpm) and a 4.10 SG, then I figure a .509 should work reasonably well, right?

Cheers,
Duey

I believe so.  Don't know how well it will work with power brakes.  Was told by mopar performance that I would be able to stop a few times with that setup you describe (with power brakes) and then not at all after that.   Don't know if it's true.

Ghoste

You can still stop.  You just have to push a LOT harder!!!

Duey

Quote from: RT DAVE on November 10, 2005, 10:32:49 AM
Quote from: Duey on November 09, 2005, 02:06:24 PM

Cheers,
Duey

I believe so.  Don't know how well it will work with power brakes.  Was told by mopar performance that I would be able to stop a few times with that setup you describe (with power brakes) and then not at all after that.   Don't know if it's true.

Dave, it's pretty true...looking at a manual set-up.  I thought I had a ruptured bladder in the booster diaphragm until
i opened it up...then meaured how much vacuum I didn't have.  Notwithstanding idle and lower rpm, the 509 is pretty stron at 3500-400 and above...right where my gears and converter will put it...  ;D

heck, if I wanted an easy car to drive, I'd get a new '06 Coronet!  :P

Cheers,
Duey
73 SE Brougham, F3 , 440, 850 Pro-form, 727 w TA 10", 4.10SG

1970440RT

I've got the 509 in my 440 Challenger and the 484 in my 440 Charger.  They both sound great, better than stock.  The Challenger is pretty much a street car and runs awesome.  The Charger is also mostly street but has been giving me fits since the engine has been dropped in.  I got the 484 to be able to tune it easier but the opposite is proving to be true. :flame:  The 509 likes alot more initial and total timing.  I have power brakes in the 509 car and have no problems.

MoparMotel

This cam is going in a 1967 HP 440 magnum. I bought the 440 to have an extra incase something happens to one of the other motors in my cars. I am almost positive the motor will go in one of the following cars.......i am looking for a rolling shell of one of the following. I would like to bolt it up to an 833 4 speed but am not sure yet.

-69 Charger
-70 Challenger
-66 Coronet

For right now i want to do a Holley street dominator intake, 750 DP, and have the heads ported. the engine is suppose to be rebuilt already but will have machine shop check it out

1968 Dodge Charger

RT DAVE

Quote from: MoparMotel on November 11, 2005, 03:29:52 PM
This cam is going in a 1967 HP 440 magnum. I bought the 440 to have an extra incase something happens to one of the other motors in my cars. I am almost positive the motor will go in one of the following cars.......i am looking for a rolling shell of one of the following. I would like to bolt it up to an 833 4 speed but am not sure yet.

-69 Charger
-70 Challenger
-66 Coronet

For right now i want to do a Holley street dominator intake, 750 DP, and have the heads ported. the engine is suppose to be rebuilt already but will have machine shop check it out

It sounds like you have a lot of other things to decide on in addition to the cam.
  ;)

What cam is in that motor right now?

MoparMotel

Yes, i do have alot of things to decide on. I have no idea what is in motor, just purchased it from Turners Auto Wrecking here in fresno, it was the son of the owners car in High School. He said he rebuilt it in High School, then got a 1971 Charger in College and stop driving this car. I heard the motor run, but not for very long. Sounded ok in the short time it ran though. The gas tank was dirty so he was feeding the carburator with a Mountain Dew bottle with a hole in the cap squirting it in the carburator. I am going to take it to a Machine Shop to have them check it out, and also install the cam. I would like to have it Balanced and Blue Printed, but might as well have the whole motor rebuilt again while i'm at it.

The pad says:

C440

8           23HP       2
1968 Dodge Charger