News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Any one use sound deadner (dynamat) on their floors?

Started by Just 6T9 CHGR, April 22, 2009, 08:09:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Just 6T9 CHGR

Since I had the rear seat out again, I was thinking of putting some dynamat down in this area....any one use this stuff or equivalent?
Chris' '69 Charger R/T

moparjohn

Chris, My Charger has dynomat from the firewall to over the axle on the floors. It also has it on the doors and inner panels under the "door panels"  It is a great noticeable improvement!
Happiness is having a hole in your roof!

69bronzeT5

I'm putting sound deadner in the Duster and I was suggested Dynamat by numerous people. Not only does it reduce sound...but it also reduces heat coming from the driveline.
Feature Editor for Mopar Connection Magazine
http://moparconnectionmagazine.com/

1969 Charger: T5 Copper 383 Automatic
1970 Challenger R/T: FC7 Plum Crazy 440 Automatic
1970 GTO: Black 400 Ram Air III 4-Speed
1971 Charger Super Bee: GY3 Citron Yella 440 4-Speed
1972 Charger: FE5 Red 360 Automatic
1973 Charger Rallye: FY1 Top Banana 440 Automatic
1973 Plymouth Road Runner: FE5 Red 440 Automatic
1973 Plymouth Duster: FC7 Plum Crazy 318 Automatic

Mike DC

Does anybody have an idea about the total weight penalty for a full "floors & doors" coverage job?   

mopar_nut_440_6

I am going to be using Dynomat on my car. Great stuff from what I have heard and they use it on a creditable resto shop out in my area. I am going to use it on the floor, doors, under the headliner, and the rear package tray. $200 for a 50 square foot roll , I will need two.

Somebody posted a comment wondering about weight. Who cares we have Mopar drivetrain which makes up for that!!
1968 Charger R/T 440 
2004 Dodge Ram 2500 680 HP Cummins with attitude

Just 6T9 CHGR

Chris' '69 Charger R/T

mopar_nut_440_6

Quote from: NOT Just 6T9 CHGR on April 23, 2009, 02:20:36 AM
Man this stuff sure is pricey :rotz:

When I look at 400 versus the rest of the cost of parts versus what they cover I do not feel so bad! And your car is a driver so pull the interior out and soundproof it. I am looking forward to having paint on my car and being able to put it together!

Great car you have. Can't wait to see the new hardtop on it!
1968 Charger R/T 440 

moparjohn

I often joke I have a 100 pounds of it in my car, I just might!

mopar0166

I didnt use any sound deadner, just becuase i dont mind the sound of driving the car, just part of the experience for me i guess    :cheers:

rudyjrusa

Back N Black

This is the material i used, it the same material used in new cars today. it cost around $26 a box and you can get it at bodyshops and parts stores.

Just 6T9 CHGR

Quote from: Back N Black on April 23, 2009, 08:27:23 AM
This is the material i used, it the same material used in new cars today. it cost around $26 a box and you can get it at bodyshops and parts stores.

How many boxes did you use to do the floor?
Chris' '69 Charger R/T

Foreman72

Quote from: NOT Just 6T9 CHGR on April 23, 2009, 12:55:56 PM

looks like it would be very easy to work with...
Eric "Foreman"

Previous: 1972 Dodge Charger
Current: 2002 Volvo S60

"The steps of a man are ordered by the LORD, and He delights in his way. Though he fall, he shall not be utterly cast down; For the LORD upholds him with His hand.
=Psalm 37:23-24=
"But store up for yourselves treasures in heaven..."
=Matthew 6:19-21=
:pat

Ghoste

You know for some reason I was absolutely certain that you already had Dynamat in your car Chris.  Just for grins you should weigh it before you install just to get a good answer to Mike's question.

mopar_nut_440_6

That works as long as the fuel in the car is exactly the same!
1968 Charger R/T 440 

brant

Did my entire car about 5 years ago. Big improvement. Now I've decided to put new floors in and deal with some firewall issues. I've spent two weeks tearing up that shit to access the spot welds. LOTS OF FUN!  :brickwall:

Ghoste

Quote from: mopar_nut_440_6 on April 23, 2009, 03:37:34 PM
That works as long as the fuel in the car is exactly the same!

Weigh the boxes before installing and then weigh them along with the scrap and leftover pieces afterwards.

1970Moparmann

Is the dynamat just lay in the car, or is there glue also?  I know I saw this stuff on Hot Rod TV....  Bad memory. :shruggy:
My name is Mike and I'm a Moparholic!

Just 6T9 CHGR

Quote from: 1970Moparmann on April 23, 2009, 03:49:16 PM
Is the dynamat just lay in the car, or is there glue also?  I know I saw this stuff on Hot Rod TV....  Bad memory. :shruggy:
Dynamat is just one of many different brands out there....some are made of butyl rubber, others asphalt.  Most of the better kind is peel & stick....

Shawn, nope never had it in the car....I think the weight might be very negligible in my case since I will only be putting it in under the rear seat....if I get it at all
Chris' '69 Charger R/T

Mike DC

I go back & forth on whether or not I want this kind of muffling in old cars.  It makes the cruise easier, but is it diluting the car's character too much?  We love these things because they're primitive. 

Maybe use it on the floors & walls, but not as much on the firewall?  You'd hear the motor more that way. 

mikepmcs

Chris,

May be of some use.

http://www.sounddeadenershowdown.com/

http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,31166.0.html....although that thread needs bumped for more info

actually this thread below has different brands if you want to research(lizardskin,fatmat etc...)

http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,54275.0.html

v/r
Mike
Life isn't Father Knows Best anymore, it's a kick in the face on a saturday night with a steel toed grip kodiak work boot and a trip to the hospital all bloodied and bashed.....for reconstructive surgery. But, what doesn't kill us, makes us stronger, right?

Just 6T9 CHGR

Chris' '69 Charger R/T

Just 6T9 CHGR

Chris' '69 Charger R/T

Back N Black

Quote from: NOT Just 6T9 CHGR on April 23, 2009, 12:55:56 PM

I think it was 3 boxes, there is 10 pieces per box, each piece is 12" x 12" .

Silver R/T

Its pretty heavy, I don't see putting that stuff in Charger. Why would you want to quiet down your Charger, if you want quiet I'd go out for a corolla or something.
http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks

1968 silver/black/red striped R/T
My Charger is hybrid, it runs on gas and on tears of ricers
2001 Ram 2500 CTD
1993 Mazda MX-3 GS SE
1995 Ford Cobra SVT#2722

mikepmcs

Chris, very interested in some feedback and some pics if possible. Noticeable differences, etc....
What are the consequences should you decide to remove the product(gummy, gooey)?? Stuff like that.
Thanks
v/r
Mike
Life isn't Father Knows Best anymore, it's a kick in the face on a saturday night with a steel toed grip kodiak work boot and a trip to the hospital all bloodied and bashed.....for reconstructive surgery. But, what doesn't kill us, makes us stronger, right?

moparjohn

I added it because I drive mine ALOT, and a trip to GA is 14 hours each way, you still have a ringing afterwards. Not bad, still love the sound of the motor, less exhausting, pun intended

elanmars

interested in differences in driving with it too. if i end up keeping my '73 or get something else, i've been contemplating on getting some kind of sound deadener/mats things.
1969 Dodge Charger, pseudo General Lee., 1973 ratty Dodge Charger.

check out my photography: http://www.tomasraul.com
instagram: tomasraul
facebook: www.facebook.com/tomasraulphotography

Just 6T9 CHGR

Well I installed my eDead stuff with minimal effort.  I bought the 25sqft roll & had 1/4 of a roll left over after I did the rear seat area (right under the rear carpet back at the hump, up the wheel wells & across the package tray.  All this is hidden when the rear seat is in....
Definite improvement on the "hand-bang" test....more solid thud & no tinnyness when you hit the floor or the package tray.

It aint pretty but it will do ;)

First pic is the full roll(the kit came with the wood roller), second is the applied stuff, third is what was left
Chris' '69 Charger R/T

mopar_nut_440_6

Hey Chris,

Did you notice a difference when driving the car?

Cheers,
1968 Charger R/T 440 

Just 6T9 CHGR

Chris' '69 Charger R/T

Charger-Bodie

Do you really have a Dixie horn in your trunk??  :laugh:
68 Charger R/t white with black v/t and red tailstripe. 440 4 speed ,black interior
68 383 auto with a/c and power windows. Now 440 4 speed jj1 gold black interior .
My Charger is a hybrid car, it burns gas and rubber............

mikepmcs

That does appear to be the famed WOLO 430. I knew I liked that car for a reason. :lol:

Install looks nice.  Bunch left over too.

Just 6T9 CHGR

Quote from: 1hot68 on May 04, 2009, 05:10:01 PM
Do you really have a Dixie horn in your trunk??  :laugh:

Funkin'-A right I do!   Any self respecting '69 owner has to have one.   I just choose to hide mine  :misbehaving:
Chris' '69 Charger R/T

Rolling_Thunder

I am going with B-Quiet Extreme...      I have 4 rolls...    going to do the entire floor, roof, firewall, wheel wells, and doors...      :D
1968 Dodge Charger - 6.1L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.55 Sure Grip

2013 Dodge Challenger R/T - 5.7L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.73 Limited Slip

1964 Dodge Polara 500 - 440 / 4-speed / 3.91 Sure Grip

1973 Dodge Challenger Rallye - 340 / A-518 / 3.23 Sure Grip

PocketThunder

Quote from: NOT Just 6T9 CHGR on April 23, 2009, 06:06:08 PM
Well I went with eDead Xtreme 45 from eBay.
Its the butyl stuff & they had the best price for the small amt I needed (25sqft)

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/25-ft-eDead-Xtreme-Car-Sound-Deadener-Dynamat-Roller_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trksidZp1742Q2em153Q2el1262QQcategoryZ38655QQihZ023QQitemZ360149229191

Thats what i bought when i did my old 68.  Good stuff.   :yesnod:

Quote from: Rolling_Thunder on May 05, 2009, 01:33:24 AM
I am going with B-Quiet Extreme...      I have 4 rolls...    going to do the entire floor, roof, firewall, wheel wells, and doors...      :D

I did everywhere i could reach.  It made a world of difference.  Especially when you would like your spouse to ride around with you and you want to cut down on the complaining about how this car doesnt ride as nice as her newer car..
"Liberalism is a disease that attacks one's ability to understand logic. Extreme manifestations include the willingness to continue down a path of self destruction, based solely on a delusional belief in a failed ideology."

SuprB70

SFRT

Quote from: Mike DC (formerly miked) on April 22, 2009, 11:52:52 PM

Does anybody have an idea about the total weight penalty for a full "floors & doors" coverage job?   

approx 60 lbs. this includes trunk floor, rear quarters as well. I weighed the boxes I used. if you only do the pass compartment probably 25-30 lbs.

I love the dynamet. car is super quiet, doors close with anice 'chunk' sound.
Always Drive Responsibly

Uploaded with ImageShack.us