News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

How would one go about radiusing the front wheel wells NASCAR style?

Started by Brock Samson, May 05, 2009, 12:16:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brock Samson

I've allways wanted to do that and I'd just like to know what's involved,.. the best way to go about it, and how much it might cost...  :shruggy:
thanks in advance.           

Ghoste

I'm sure it's not the way you want to do it but I once saw a picture of Dick Landy doing it by shoving a baseball bat between the tire and the lip of the fender opening and then sort of rolling it around up there.  Crude but effective, in fact, I think I may have once seen it as a Car Craft tech tip a long time ago too (which means it also works on Camaros)

devilgear

I have it in a mag too..people have used base ball bats with success, but I think the CC method was to cut the inside of the wheel lip with a saw at a few places and hammer and dolly them back...This way you don't risk screwing up your paint or body panels...Oh and my article came out of Hot Rods Paint and Body special form Feb 15 2005..

mopar_nut_440_6

1968 Charger R/T 440 
2004 Dodge Ram 2500 680 HP Cummins with attitude

PocketThunder

Quote from: Ghoste on May 05, 2009, 07:59:23 AM
I'm sure it's not the way you want to do it but I once saw a picture of Dick Landy doing it by shoving a baseball bat between the tire and the lip of the fender opening and then sort of rolling it around up there.  Crude but effective, in fact, I think I may have once seen it as a Car Craft tech tip a long time ago too (which means it also works on Camaros)

:smilielol:   :smilielol:   :smilielol:   :smilielol:    Aint that the truth!
"Liberalism is a disease that attacks one's ability to understand logic. Extreme manifestations include the willingness to continue down a path of self destruction, based solely on a delusional belief in a failed ideology."

Mr.Woolery

Did rears ever get radiused as part of NASCAR prepping?  I've also considered this mod to my car.

BTW, Brock if you're in Southern California...I happen to have an Eastwood fender rolling tool if you'd like to use it.  It'll make for really nicely radiused/rolled fenders, and you're more than welcome to stop by and use it.

-1971 Charger R/T clone restomod project

For details on my cars, check out my web blog

daytonalo

In no way is that Eastwood tool going to duplicate the #71 fender they must be Fabricated

Rolling_Thunder

yep - the eastwood tool merely rolls the lip in...      the nascar fenders are cut to almost match the contour of the tire...   the rears were as well i believe.
1968 Dodge Charger - 6.1L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.55 Sure Grip

2013 Dodge Challenger R/T - 5.7L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.73 Limited Slip

1964 Dodge Polara 500 - 440 / 4-speed / 3.91 Sure Grip

1973 Dodge Challenger Rallye - 340 / A-518 / 3.23 Sure Grip

Mr.Woolery

Quote from: Rolling_Thunder on May 05, 2009, 07:12:02 PM
yep - the eastwood tool merely rolls the lip in...      the nascar fenders are cut to almost match the contour of the tire...   the rears were as well i believe.

Cue the raspberry buzzer...  BZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZT!!!

Actually, you CAN use the Eastwood tool to pull fenders (in a limited manner).  We've done so using it on other cars (mainly imports to fit big rubber when just rolling the lips isn't enough).  Anything you can do with a baseball bat, you can do with the Eastwood tool, only MUCH cleaner.

Foreman72

Quote from: mopar_nut_440_6 on May 05, 2009, 02:44:55 PM
Eastwood makes a tool which "apparently" will do it. It bolts to the hub.

http://www.eastwoodco.com/jump.jsp?itemID=6159&itemType=PRODUCT

i was flipping thru that catalog this morning...that was the first thing i thought of too...
Eric "Foreman"

Previous: 1972 Dodge Charger
Current: 2002 Volvo S60

"The steps of a man are ordered by the LORD, and He delights in his way. Though he fall, he shall not be utterly cast down; For the LORD upholds him with His hand.
=Psalm 37:23-24=
"But store up for yourselves treasures in heaven..."
=Matthew 6:19-21=
:pat

SFRT

figure out what size wheel and tire your going to run, then bring it over to the shop. :2thumbs:
Always Drive Responsibly

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Cooperman

I have an Eastwood fender roller too, and as great as it is, it cannot remove four inches of fender! There's a whole lot of fabrication involved  :Twocents:
I am not a vegetarian because I love animals; I am a vegetarian because I hate plants!

Mr.Woolery

^^

I agree with that, that's why I said the Eastwood tool does have abilities with limits.  Ideally, a radius would be cut, then you can use the Eastwood tool to create a flared lip.   Obviously a full on fabrication shop will do a much more thorough job of radiusing a fender though. 

Brock Samson

:scratchchin: yeah,..  well runnin the pic of the K&K '71 Daytona is probably not the best example,.. after all that car was seriously prepped to run the salt flats at 200 + MPH,..  here with the hills and driveways that I like to take at 20 MPH  :icon_smile_wink: I don't think that's really a look i could shoot for...
Highbanked Hauler's got a fiberglass front clip with round front wheel wells,.. courtesy of an accident,..
Now that might be a way to go, but i belive he's got the only Charger street driven car I've seen on this site, maybe ever,.. that ain't a full on race car...
i'll try to find a pic of Hibanks charger 500 one of my Fav. cars on this site... it's near to Petty Blue too, it don't git much more bitchen then that in my book.    :drool5:

Mike DC

I think I remember hearing one time that in the 1960s somebody tooled up a stamped fender flare piece and sold them to everyone in NASCAR (all makes).  Like it was just a steel flare a few inches across, and you'd attach it to the edges of a severely hogged-out stock wheelwell opening in a stock steel fender.

Usually you see the front fenders fully reworked, and then the rear wheelwells either left stock or just slightly rounded out larger at the top.  You don't often see the big flared round holes in the back like you see on the front. 

---------------------------------------------

Doing this now, I would get a set of rusty used fenders and do the whole 9 yards like a NASCAR.

I would go to the junkyard and see about finding some other (probably modern) car's fenders that could donate some metal to get the nice flared & round shape that looks right. 

But the early NASCARs were so heavily lowered, like the entire floor/chassis was a few inches higher up into the sidewalls of the car body . . . I don't think a stock unibody'd Charger would even be able to truly replicate that stance even with the wheelwells totally redone.  You just couldn't get it low enough with stock parts. 

Maybe dropped spindles would get you closer to it.  But even then, you'd still be worrying about the chassis dragging over bumps.  You'd probably need to reach some kind of compromise for a street car with a stock unibody.  Some lowering of the ride height + some raising of the wheelwells, but neither one quite as far as the real NASCARS had them. 

SFRT

doing the front is easy. like he said, get a pair of AMD front fenders, we can make the flare. radius the back is easy..... :D airsaw and a piece of 3" pipe is all you need.....
Always Drive Responsibly

suntech

I think that car looks freak´n awesome, and the stance is just right, for a nose-coned /winged car. :2thumbs: IMO it looks a lot better like this, than what it does with "factory" fenders and rideheight.

On a "normal" Charger i think it might look a little bit to radical, and out of place, but a happy medium........ :D :D :drool5:

If i was going to build a Daytona clone, this would be the direction i would be going. Hard core purpose buildt!  :2thumbs:
Since we only live once, and all this is not just a dressed rehearsal, but the real thing............ Well, enjoy it!!!!

daytonalo

my Next Daytona clone is going to be as close  as I  exact   duplicate of the # 71 car , right down to lowered chassis and roll bar and goodyear slicks , and yes it will be street driven

bull

Didn't Highbanked Hauler do this to the front of his C500?

Brock Samson

his 500s' clip is fiberglass and one of my top favorite cars on this site..
still a mod I concider often..

Highbanked Hauler

Quote from: Brock Samson on March 03, 2010, 12:20:38 PM
his 500s' clip is fiberglass and one of my top favorite cars on this site..
still a mod I concider often..

NOPE, its all steel and if you are serious I would do it a little different than mine.
69 Charger 500, original owner  
68 Charger former parts car in process of rebuilding
92 Cummins Turbo Diesel
04 PT Cruiser

Brock Samson

so it's just the hood that's glass?..  :popcrn:
and how did you do it?..  :shruggy:

Highbanked Hauler

no, the hood is steel also. It was damaged in the front and I cut the inner frame away to straighten it.
92 Cummins Turbo Diesel
04 PT Cruiser

Brock Samson

:-\ wow,..  i was way off then, sorry I maligned your 500...  :shruggy:

Highbanked Hauler

Quote from: Brock Samson on March 03, 2010, 07:17:15 PM
:-\ wow,..  i was way off then, sorry I maligned your 500...  :shruggy:
NOT TO WORRY, most people think it is glass and its easy enough to do the hood. the fenders are a little more of a pain but I think its an easy fix but I haven't tried it yet.
    ABS sells a repair panel for the wheel well area of an 87 Ford PU bed. It looks like about the right flare angle to do a charger fender. It looks like it would be close to the 71 car fender.
92 Cummins Turbo Diesel
04 PT Cruiser

Brock Samson

lowering the front of the car would be a part of that i would think, after all,.. isn't that a large part of why the wells were currved to begin with?..

Highbanked Hauler

right, since they have drop spindles now that would be the way to go. Before that I was going to bring the frame rails up in the nose about an inch or two which you would have to take the aprons out to do but I never got that far. You definitely want the ride height set and tires and wheels on that you are going to use before you cut the fenders. depends on how far you want to go.
92 Cummins Turbo Diesel
04 PT Cruiser

69bronzeT5

Like Dave, I'm a huge fan of your 500......could you share some pictures of it? I never get tired of seeing it :2thumbs:
Feature Editor for Mopar Connection Magazine
http://moparconnectionmagazine.com/

1969 Charger: T5 Copper 383 Automatic
1970 Challenger R/T: FC7 Plum Crazy 440 Automatic
1970 GTO: Black 400 Ram Air III 4-Speed
1971 Charger Super Bee: GY3 Citron Yella 440 4-Speed
1972 Charger: FE5 Red 360 Automatic
1973 Charger Rallye: FY1 Top Banana 440 Automatic
1973 Plymouth Road Runner: FE5 Red 440 Automatic
1973 Plymouth Duster: FC7 Plum Crazy 318 Automatic

Brock Samson

i have several great pics on a memory stick but when i looked for them earlier today I couldn't find them...  :shruggy:

anyhow, as far as doing it to my ride,.. i feel it would be a shame to carve up my good fenders and it really rides so well now I wouldn't want to screw it all up.
but I am amazed with all these clones being built no one has done it yet.
If i was getting into building a charger or a daytona now instead of a quarter century ago,.. I'd sure do it.

Highbanked Hauler

Thanks,My son is supposed to set me up with an easy way to post pix. as soon as he does I will put them up.

Someone had a 68 charger on ebay that they were modifying for a Daytona Stocker which was half done. He had cut the fire wall and had the tubing in on the nose already.
92 Cummins Turbo Diesel
04 PT Cruiser

tan top

Quote from: 69bronzeT5 on March 03, 2010, 08:09:00 PM
Like Dave, I'm a huge fan of your 500......could you share some pictures of it? I never get tired of seeing it :2thumbs:

:iagree:    :drool5: .......... :popcrn:
Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

Highbanked Hauler

Thanks again, people either like it or hate it, there isn't any middle ground. I've gotten the (how could anyone do that to a 500) also.The thing most people don't realize is  those parts went on because of the wreck in 97. The tin that is on it was going on the stocker I was going to build.
92 Cummins Turbo Diesel
04 PT Cruiser

Patronus

that car would need to looses 6" in ride height to get that low
no way your runnin' that on the street, not in Anytown, USA
bag it maybe
'73 Cuda 340 5spd RMS
'69 Charger 383 "Luci"
'08 CRF 450r
'12.5 450SX FE

Brock Samson

my charger was two inches lower front and back when i was running the SB, of course the headers were pancaked the very first day, the wheels rubbed the front fenders even minus the wheel well stainless,.. and jumping a steep hill here in SF with five friends aboard I actually cracked a 904 trans in half... this all happened back in '84 the first week i got her on the road. I went thru another 904 before i adapted a 727 and raised her up an inch.  :shruggy:
That low it cornered like a slot car though.  :lol:

Brock Samson

found the pics I saved... of Highbanked haulers' Charger 500.  :drool5:

lisiecki1

Remember the average response time to a 911 call is over 4 minutes.

The average response time of a 357 magnum is 1400 FPS.

http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,52527.0.html

SFRT

Always Drive Responsibly

200MPH

Charger

Mike DC

Yeah, the car looks great.  

As for the NASCAR ride height, that's not truly gonna happen on an intact production unibody.  The racecars had the entire undercarriage sunk farther upwards into the sides of the body.  

Highbanked Hauler's C500 is about as close as you can practically get without hacking the unibody to shreds. 

Ryan

Quote from: Mike DC (formerly miked) on March 04, 2010, 08:34:29 PM

As for the NASCAR ride height, that's not truly gonna happen on an intact production unibody.  The racecars had the entire undercarriage sunk farther upwards into the sides of the body.  

Highbanked Hauler's C500 is about as close as you can practically get without hacking the unibody to shreds. 

You maybe able to get close if you were to get the engine and tranny up higher, and tuck the exhaust up out of the way..... obviously it would still require a lot of floor work, but its doable. A NASCAR styled charger is on my list of project cars...... Hmmm.... maybe that 68 r/t on the side of my house could be a good candidate.
69 charger r/t Triple Black
   572 HEMI, Passion 5 speed, 4.10 Dana under construction

2014 viper TA

Mike DC

If you're gonna cut up the flooring & raise the motor . . . I would just go all the way and do it like the old NASCAR teams did. 

Highbanked Hauler

Quote from: Mike DC (formerly miked) on March 04, 2010, 08:34:29 PM

I think what they did was after the firewall and cowl are cut out was to bring the front frame rails up into the nose a couple of inches and that will drop a car at the cowl about the same amount as it uses the wheel for a pivot point. That way the motor stays at the same hight and the body drops over it with the least amount of work. I can't prove it but I think that is what they did.

Brock thanks for posting the pictures of  the 500 :2thumbs: Some day I'll learn how to do it. :yesnod:
92 Cummins Turbo Diesel
04 PT Cruiser