News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Recomended lift points for my Charger

Started by Supercharged Riot, May 10, 2009, 11:49:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Supercharged Riot

Im trying to get beneath my car.  Im good on the rear because I can use the rear axle as a lift point, but I need to know about the front half of the car.

Where's the best place to use my car jack without damaging the frame?
And after the lift. WHere's the best place to put the jack stands?

THanks guys. (I already did the "search" tool)

FLG

Best places would be the front subframe under the drivers side or passenger side. Stay away from the floor!!

You can put the jack right were the frame meets the torsion bar cross-member or you can put it anywhere along the frame, it will be fine. Just make sure you use jack stands, they can go somewhere near the jack on the front rail. Also i tend to drop it on the jack stands then if i have the room ill put the jack back up and just gently rest it against the frame just for added protection if something happens.

If you need pics ill take some tomo.

Finn

I always like to place an extra stand under the K-member as well. :Twocents:
1968 Dodge Charger 440, EFI, AirRide suspension
1970 Dodge Challenger RT/SE 383 magnum
1963 Plymouth Savoy 225 with a 3 on the tree.
2002 Dodge Ram 5.9L 360
2014 Dodge Dart 2.4L

Mike DC

Funny thing is, the K-frame is technically NOT a safe jacking point according to the factory! 

But these cars have probably been jacked up by the K-frames a couple million times in the last 40 years so far.  It doesn't seem to pose any real-world problem. 

Finn

Wow I didnt know that! I just was going off the Project Charger book I have that recommend placing a stand under there. I think its a safe bet, if the back end gets light the entire car tips from the front pretty easily.
1968 Dodge Charger 440, EFI, AirRide suspension
1970 Dodge Challenger RT/SE 383 magnum
1963 Plymouth Savoy 225 with a 3 on the tree.
2002 Dodge Ram 5.9L 360
2014 Dodge Dart 2.4L

Supercharged Riot

Sublime/Sixpack

Quote from: Mike DC (formerly miked) on May 11, 2009, 03:46:04 AM

Funny thing is, the K-frame is technically NOT a safe jacking point according to the factory! 

Oh oh, I've been doing that for years.   :scratchchin:
1970 Sublime R/T, 440 Six Pack, Four speed, Super Track Pak

green69rt

Lift on the frame.  Front at the cross member where the torsion bars are anchored.   At the rear use the FRONT sprint mounts!!   Do Not use these points if you are working the frame.  More support is needed both front and rear.

426HemiCharger

Quote from: Sublime/Sixpack on May 19, 2009, 09:28:21 PM
Quote from: Mike DC (formerly miked) on May 11, 2009, 03:46:04 AM

Oh oh, I've been doing that for years.   :scratchchin:

This is so because the car can slip and rock on the  K-member.  I tried to turn the wheels and it rocked.  This means it is sensitive.  THIS IS A WARNING. Be cautious when doing this.
------------------------Cars I have now----------------------------
1969 Charger R/T
1998 Ford Econoline 150
2002 Hyundai Elantra GLS
-----------------------Cars I wish I had----------------------------
1969 Charger R/T 4-Speed or Hemi Clone
1970 Charger R/T Hemi Clone
1970  Dodge Polara IL State Police Car
---------------------------Future Posibilities------------------------
2010 or later Ford Fusion Hybrid (Replaces 2002 Hyundai)

Mike DC

I've always been putting a pair of jackstands under the K-frame to get it stabilized.  Problem solved.

It's not the safest place to jack up these cars but it won't bend or break anything.   

426HemiCharger

Right. But I tried that and My front end groaned like an old tree in a wind storm.
------------------------Cars I have now----------------------------
1969 Charger R/T
1998 Ford Econoline 150
2002 Hyundai Elantra GLS
-----------------------Cars I wish I had----------------------------
1969 Charger R/T 4-Speed or Hemi Clone
1970 Charger R/T Hemi Clone
1970  Dodge Polara IL State Police Car
---------------------------Future Posibilities------------------------
2010 or later Ford Fusion Hybrid (Replaces 2002 Hyundai)

Mike DC

I've never really had that problem. 

I turn the jackstands sideways so that the two forks of the stand's tops are pointing to the right & left side of the car rather than front/back.  Then put the stands under the outer side walls of the kindney-bean-shaped holes in the bottom of the K-frame.  (Like where the internal swaybar mounts to the K-frame on a 1970 Charger or Chally.  In between the K-frame's front & rear mounting leg on each side.)