News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Door hinge pin replacement

Started by AmadeusCharger500, May 14, 2009, 07:12:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AmadeusCharger500

74 charger needs door hinge pins replaced. I've taken them off and sandblasted them to look real nice now I need to replace the pins. I got the kit with the bushings. I had this done by a machine shop before but now no one seems to want to do it. 2 shops body and machine,  looked at me crosseyed and said, can't you just get a replacement, Duh.

I remember doing this before by grinding the head off the pins on each side then driving them out.
But as far as truing up the hole, do I need a drill press?
and any other tricks to this or do I just say Duh.

Charger-Bodie

If you want to do it yourself, its pretty easy. Grind the crimo off off the headless end of the pin,then knock the old pin out. Next, drill the inner part to accept the bushing then pound in the new pin and youre done.

You can easily drill the holes out with a regular power drill. Just be sure to keep it straight and you will do fine.

Be careful not to drill the hole too big though,If you are unsure of the size start with a smaller bit and work up to the correct size.
68 Charger R/t white with black v/t and red tailstripe. 440 4 speed ,black interior
68 383 auto with a/c and power windows. Now 440 4 speed jj1 gold black interior .
My Charger is a hybrid car, it burns gas and rubber............

AmadeusCharger500

Ok I did the upper, succesfully but I'm wondering if I should do it different.
2 questions.
I Put the bushings in the inner hinge with the flange on the outer edge. That required a bit of grinding to allow the hinges to fit back together. IS that the proper bushing placement?

2nd question. I drilled the first hole from 3/8 to 13/32 to 7/16 and the bushing just slid in the hole. I kinda thought that was not good so I drilled the second hole to 13/32 and pressed the bushing in. Which way should it be done?

All in all the upper hinge seams to be great. It moves nice and tight by hand, which I assume will be good once its leveraged by the door.

Charger-Bodie

Quote from: AmadeusCharger500 on May 17, 2009, 09:52:45 AM
Ok I did the upper, succesfully but I'm wondering if I should do it different.
2 questions.
I Put the bushings in the inner hinge with the flange on the outer edge. That required a bit of grinding to allow the hinges to fit back together. IS that the proper bushing placement?

2nd question. I drilled the first hole from 3/8 to 13/32 to 7/16 and the bushing just slid in the hole. I kinda thought that was not good so I drilled the second hole to 13/32 and pressed the bushing in. Which way should it be done?

All in all the upper hinge seams to be great. It moves nice and tight by hand, which I assume will be good once its leveraged by the door.

Id stop at the 13/32 if the pin still goes thru........as for where you put the bushings , yes that is right.
68 Charger R/t white with black v/t and red tailstripe. 440 4 speed ,black interior
68 383 auto with a/c and power windows. Now 440 4 speed jj1 gold black interior .
My Charger is a hybrid car, it burns gas and rubber............