News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

1973 400cu/in Engine Recessitation

Started by Dads73Charger, May 18, 2009, 12:13:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dads73Charger

I am posting here to get an Idea of what I need to do before I start-up this car. I know I will need to change out the fluids and plugs, but what about the gas? Do I need to pull the tank off to drain? Or is there another method I should know about?
  What Brand of Plugs, Points, Cap , Etc is prefered?
  Dual Exhaust- what Brand of Headers? What is the correct size of pipe, 2.5"?
  At this time I DO NOT have a garage, so I am kinda limited to how in depth I can get a this time with restoration.
   This is what I am thinking at this time, so all you Pros let me know if I am off base or not.
-I would like to remove all the "anti-pollution" stuff of the engine to hopefully increase HP.
-I want to install a 4 barrel carb and dual exhausts. Any Pointers here on what brand or can I pull an old 4 barrel carb off at the wreckers and re-build it or is this even a good idea?
-I want this car to be able to eat all these "little, annoying, diarreahea sounding Honda's,etc" that are dominating our roads :D

I am going to try and find a copy of Mopar Action that has the article as on bringing a "Classic" back to life.
My Apologies for all the questions(dumb?) and I find it interesting that I am on the asking side this time. I am used to offering "Expert" advice on "Lionel/MTH" model trains repairs:lol:
So I do know how "some" can find these posts  a PITA. Thanx in advance for any advice.  Al

NHCharger

Your probably should have your gas tank cleaned also.
Also check the wiring in the engine compartment and under the dash. Sometimes little critters find our cars a great place to nest.
Last year I parted out a 72 Charger that had sat for 14+ years. I found acorns throughout the car.

Don't forget to check the brake system also.
72 Charger- Base Model
68 Charger-R/T Clone
69 Charger Daytona clone- current moneypit
79 Lil Red Express - future moneypit
88 Ramcharger 4x4-moneypit in waiting
2014 RAM 2500HD Diesel