News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Starter relay troubles.

Started by skywardpc, May 18, 2009, 10:40:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

skywardpc

:icon_smile_angry: Well tonight after putting a few items in the interior of the trunk tonight, I went to crank up the car and it would not start.  The ignition key would not turn the motor over.  The starter relay switch is a new one.  It was bought about 2 weeks ago.  I was having the same issue until I changed the old one with this new one.  The car cranked fine for about 2 weeks until now.  I can do the whole start it with a screw driver on the starter relay and can crank it there.  Any ideas on a possible problem or do you think auto parts place sold me a bad starter relay?  The car in question is a 74 Charger.

W4ATL

Make sure the ignition switch is closing the relay in the "crank" position.

Ghoste

Wouldn't hurt to make sure the neutral safety switch isn't the culprit too.

GN

My 74 is doing the same. Replaced it 4 times in the last year, twice in 2 weeks. However, this one appears to be lasting a little longer. (carry a spare now) I did replace the battery cables. The neg. small wire was coming apart and the positive was corroded to the starter. I belive that when starting the motor, the relay was drawing to much power and destroying the relay. If you find it to be something else please let me know. Thanks.

b5blue

Ghoste is right jiggle the shifter around a bunch or put a jumper on there to check it... check All the ground straps by taking them off and cleaning them too! 

y3chargerrt

Starter relays rarely go bad. The starter current does not flow through it.