News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

1972 Charger Restoration Project

Started by 1972Charger, May 19, 2009, 11:34:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

1972Charger

And so it begins. 

A friend gave me this car, and I intend on restoring it to it's original glory.  Or a little better.

400 V8.  Saw the car once, so I do not know the full info on it.  But I will post from time to time on progress.
The car is not in a horrible shape for being in a field for 10 years.

A main question I have is where can I find some informational sources on the techniques, parts list, ect to restore it?
I cannot wait to get started!

Also, a Hemi add is possible.

Thank you in advance!

69bronzeT5

Welcome to the site!!! Awesome start for a project :cheers:

A main question I have is where can I find some informational sources on the techniques, parts list, ect to restore it?

You're already here. It's the best place for that kind of stuff :2thumbs:
Feature Editor for Mopar Connection Magazine
http://moparconnectionmagazine.com/

1969 Charger: T5 Copper 383 Automatic
1970 Challenger R/T: FC7 Plum Crazy 440 Automatic
1970 GTO: Black 400 Ram Air III 4-Speed
1971 Charger Super Bee: GY3 Citron Yella 440 4-Speed
1972 Charger: FE5 Red 360 Automatic
1973 Charger Rallye: FY1 Top Banana 440 Automatic
1973 Plymouth Road Runner: FE5 Red 440 Automatic
1973 Plymouth Duster: FC7 Plum Crazy 318 Automatic

FlatbackFanatic

Welcome!! That body looks pretty good to start with. Good Luck on your resto. Any questions, just ask away.
Flatback Fanatic, Kurt  , MN

hs1973

mine is just like it you are velcome to ask anything you need know. ive been over mine from bumper too bumper so i know not all but alot about 3erd gen chargers. plus im a certified body man by trade. so feel free to ask

mikesbbody

Hi and Welcome  :cheers: is your Charger a SE? like the guy's said your in the right place
Also check out the 3rd gen site www.1971-1974dodgecharger.com   :2thumbs:

JPL

Quote from: mikesbbody on May 20, 2009, 03:07:12 AM
Hi and Welcome  :cheers: is your Charger a SE? like the guy's said your in the right place

+1
& I like the rims already....

devilgear

Man are those spider webs in the front? Yikes I would not want to get near it without a baseball bat...hhahha...Looks loke a great car to start with, just take her out and wash the grime off it and see what is left underneath...

69*F5*SE

Welcome aboard.  You came to the right place.    :cheers:  Looks like a good car to start with.   :2thumbs:  California car.

mopar_nut_440_6

Looks like a great project except for all the spiders! I hate spiders..

Lots of knowledge and helpful people here to help you out and a hemi would be awesome!!

Cheers,  :cheers:
1968 Charger R/T 440 
2004 Dodge Ram 2500 680 HP Cummins with attitude

PocketThunder

Judging from the Pepsi can in the front floor the car couldnt have been sitting for too long.  That can must be from the mid 90s.   :shruggy:
"Liberalism is a disease that attacks one's ability to understand logic. Extreme manifestations include the willingness to continue down a path of self destruction, based solely on a delusional belief in a failed ideology."

72chargerSE

Quote from: PocketThunder on May 20, 2009, 12:43:25 PM
Judging from the Pepsi can in the front floor the car couldnt have been sitting for too long.  That can must be from the mid 90s.   :shruggy:

He said the car was sitting in the field for 10 years.... 2009-10=1999

TUFCAT

Its unusual to see the bucket seats, console, and non-rallye cluster. Most Charger Topper pkg cars were 318's and built with bench seats.  Very few with buckets and a big block.

devilgear

Hmm...My car has buckets and a non rallyee dash, but no console and it is a 400...I have both the rallyee and the console now though...

bk72

nice charger. and it has some nice rims.  :popcrn:  :popcrn:  :popcrn:  :popcrn:

Foreman72

Quote from: TUFCAT on May 20, 2009, 01:50:25 PM
Its unusual to see the bucket seats, console, and non-rallye cluster. Most Charger Topper pkg cars were 318's and built with bench seats.  Very few with buckets and a big block.

thats exactly what i got...welcome to the site 72  :cheers: my car was the same price as yours  :lol: great place to learn absolutely everything...so any plans for it so far? i think i read something about you wanting to put a hemi in... :shruggy: i would keep the 400 for sure...especially since it is (most likely) on the rarer side... :Twocents:
Eric "Foreman"

Previous: 1972 Dodge Charger
Current: 2002 Volvo S60

"The steps of a man are ordered by the LORD, and He delights in his way. Though he fall, he shall not be utterly cast down; For the LORD upholds him with His hand.
=Psalm 37:23-24=
"But store up for yourselves treasures in heaven..."
=Matthew 6:19-21=
:pat

mopar_nut_440_6

Quote from: Foreman72 on May 20, 2009, 05:15:52 PM

thats exactly what i got...welcome to the site 72  :cheers: my car was the same price as yours  :lol: great place to learn absolutely everything...so any plans for it so far? i think i read something about you wanting to put a hemi in... :shruggy: i would keep the 400 for sure...especially since it is (most likely) on the rarer side... :Twocents:

Stupid question but what is a "topper" car? Is it the half hardtop?
1968 Charger R/T 440 
2004 Dodge Ram 2500 680 HP Cummins with attitude

Foreman72

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iv0vYc1x6po&feature=PlayList&p=6FDED8A51A153CD5&playnext=1&playnext_from=PL&index=6

thats a commercial for it...its was a special dealer offer...if you bought this dealer stock charger it came with certain options like hideaways, ralley gauges and such and they threw in a vinyl roof for free...i'm not totally sure...i'd love to hear what others have to say about it :2thumbs:
Eric "Foreman"

"The steps of a man are ordered by the LORD, and He delights in his way. Though he fall, he shall not be utterly cast down; For the LORD upholds him with His hand.

1972Charger

I really do not know all that much about it.  I intend on looking more into it this weekend.  A few questions...

Rallye cluster?  Where can I find out the build numbers/options for that year?  It has been tough tracking down certain options.  Like the front end looks familiar, but then the taillights are different.  I suppose that that comes down to build options.

Rarer side?  I always wanted a Hemi, but I DO like the original car feel.  I do know that the 400 was the 255 hp version.  Or so that I can find.

What I need are the different models and options for that year.  To kind nail down what exactly I have.

Thanks for all the help already!  I have been a member of a few car forums over the years for various vehicles, and this is the fastest and most responded to first post I have had.  I can tell that this will be a great experience.  Kudos for all your obvious love for your cars!   :cheers:

Foreman72

Eric "Foreman"

1972Charger

You guys are good. 

I guess I lucked out that the body is in good condition.  Engine work I can do myself.  The replacement parts will be a problem, since money is scarce.  I guess Ebay or something like that would be a resource.

I appreciate the help! 

And your car is freaking nice.

teamroth

Nice car to start. Don't know about rust, but I would get it running and see what some elbow grease will do first, and get that vinyl top off! Panels don't look bad, and interior looks like some things could be slavaged. Welcome!
I'd rather die than go to heaven.

mikesbbody

Sorry, I didnt look at all the pics before I posted. I had another look and can see it definitly is not a SE

C_stripes

Welcome to the forum. This is a great place. 

Looks like a nice car. I bet there are some black widows around that car, I also just got a car that had spiders in it. Mine were brown recluses though.

Good luck on the build.

Jeremy
I'm smarter than I act, But I don't act smarter than I am.

1972Charger

Quote from: mikesbbody on May 22, 2009, 12:41:48 AM

Sorry, I didnt look at all the pics before I posted. I had another look and can see it definitly is not a SE

How can you tell that it is not an SE?  I am horribly new to this, so I do not know what the signs are. 

And Teamroth, take the vinyl top off to replace it? 

There are a surprising number of people on here expressing a fear of Arachnids, for some reason!  :icon_smile_big: