News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

DRIVE SHAFT QUESTION / PROBLEM

Started by PURTBOY, July 29, 2005, 03:17:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PURTBOY

HEY ALL I GOT 2 DRIVESHAFTS WITH MY 68 CHARGER AND NEITHER ARE CORRECT!!! 1 IS TO LONG AND 1 IS TOO SHORT. MY QUESTION IS CAN THE LONG ONE BE CUT TO SIZE, AND IF SO WHAT KIND OF PLACE WOULD DO SOMETHING LIKE THIS? WHAT ALL WOULD IT TAKE TO GET THE RIGHT MEASUREMENT TO GET IT CUT?? AND ALSO WHAT KIND OF PRICE WOULD IT RUN!!! I REALLY APPRECIATE ANY HELP!!! MY ENGINE IS A 318, WITH A 727 AUTOMATIC, AND NOT SURE ON THE REAREND !!!

THANKS,
BRIAN

73 Charger 440

There are shops that will cut and balance your driveshaft, or a new custom made guarenteed not to break for life driveshaft from Denny's is about $400 if I recall correctly.

Wakko

First determine what your end result is going to be and go from there.  If you're ultimately gonna put a 400 horsepower big block in there, and you've already got a 727 workin, go ahead and get a better driveshaft.  If you're going to stick with the small block or you really need to scrimp for now, check into having yours shortened or finding a decent used one.  The problem is the yoke...they wear out.  To check the wear run your finger along the smooth outer surface and feel for ridges or irregularities.  If yours is bad, it will eventually take out the bushing and rear seal of the tranny.  My driveshaft place told me they don't make them anymore, maybe someone else knows of a source.

To measure your driveshaft requirements, simply measure the distance from the end of the tranny to the centerline of where the U joint will sit on the rearend.  Measure repeatedly and talk to the local driveshaft rebuilder and find out if he has an alternate method.  You're probably looking at 200 bucks to recondition and shorten your existing driveshaft, maybe even a bit more.  Make sure your yoke is the right one for your tranny before bringing it in...ask me how I know!!!
Ian

'69 Basketcase, bluetooth powered

Boynton 236 F&AM

toqwik

I just had a drive shaft shortened and balanced for a hot rod I built this winter.  It was 120 bucks and that included both new u joints.  I used a shop thar specializes in big truck repair...good luck

Ghoste

I spent quite a bit on a driveshaft a year ago but I went to a larger tube with bigger u-joints.  You can find a driveshaft length by putting you yoke in all the way and then pulling it out one inch and measuring from the center of the u-joint cup to the center of the u-joint cup on the rearend yoke.
DO NOT waste your money on the MP yoke.  It will not likely fit.
There are a number of reputable custom driveline makers around.  Where are you located?

KMPX2

Just call the local auto parts store I am sure they can tell you of a place that can do it near you.

Ghoste

Or better yet, contact some local racers.  If there are some drag cars or stock cars near you, chances are they have had to use this service at some point.