News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

disc brake conversion for 14 inch wheels

Started by c00nhunterjoe, May 17, 2009, 10:38:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

c00nhunterjoe

what disc brake conversions do you reccomend and what will fit 14 inch vector wheels? this is for a 69 charger

Rolling_Thunder

Stock Mopar disc brakes from 73+ A-Body...     Use the 10.78" Rotors and it'll fit just fine with a 14" wheel. 
1968 Dodge Charger - 6.1L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.55 Sure Grip

2013 Dodge Challenger R/T - 5.7L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.73 Limited Slip

1964 Dodge Polara 500 - 440 / 4-speed / 3.91 Sure Grip

1973 Dodge Challenger Rallye - 340 / A-518 / 3.23 Sure Grip

Mike DC

Wait a minute . . . weren't the calipers the interference point when the wheel size dropped below 15 inches, not the rotors themselves? 

68Charger4me

I used the 73 a-body discs on mine with 14" aluminum slots, it was a VERY tight fit.

bull

Quote from: Mike DC (formerly miked) on May 18, 2009, 02:01:09 PM

Wait a minute . . . weren't the calipers the interference point when the wheel size dropped below 15 inches, not the rotors themselves? 

Well, yes, but the smaller the rotor the closer the caliper is to the center of the wheel. See what I mean? With a 11.75" rotor the caliper is nearly a half inch further out than with a 10.78" rotor (actually, I think it's 10.87" not 10.78").

terrible one

FWIW, I did the conversion with 10.87" rotors and '73 Challenger calipers and my 14" slotted mags would not fit. Now a stock wheel, maybe but obviously it depends on the wheel for clearance with a 14" unless the Challenger caliper is bigger than an alternative.

Mike DC

If it was that close, did you consider just whittling down the calipers in the most offending areas? 

You could practice on a junkyard caliper just to get an idea how much material can be removed safely. 

bull

Quote from: Mike DC (formerly miked) on May 19, 2009, 01:24:34 PM

If it was that close, did you consider just whittling down the calipers in the most offending areas? 

You could practice on a junkyard caliper just to get an idea how much material can be removed safely. 

:o I don't know about that idea. Me thinks it's probably better to install parts that fit instead of carving on them.

HPP

Quote from: 68Charger4me on May 18, 2009, 06:16:40 PM
I used the 73 a-body discs on mine with 14" aluminum slots, it was a VERY tight fit.

Yes, but they did fit and provided more braking for than the equivilent 10.5 inch GM based rotor included in many kits. But, see below.

Quote from: terrible one on May 18, 2009, 11:03:04 PM
FWIW, I did the conversion with 10.87" rotors and '73 Challenger calipers and my 14" slotted mags would not fit. Now a stock wheel, maybe but obviously it depends on the wheel for clearance with a 14" unless the Challenger caliper is bigger than an alternative.

How old are those slotted mags?  What many of us have forgotten is that way back when, there were aftermarket wheels made to fit drum or disc equiped cars. For instance, the Torque Thrust D was to accomodate disc brakes becasue the stand TQ hit the caliper. Chances are your wheels are an example of this.

Quote from: Mike DC (formerly miked) on May 18, 2009, 02:01:09 PM

This is only an issue if you go with the 11.75 rotors as they will not fit in a 14" wheel, but will fit fine inside a 15" wheel.

Easy way to do this is find 73-76 Dart Duter or 76-85 Apsen, Volare, Mirada, etc. Use verything between the balljoints. Cordobas and St Regis variants are also a source, but you may end up with the 11.75 rotors which will not fit 14" wheels.

Steve P.

Terrible is correct. It DOES depend on the individual wheel. Some will and some won't work.

(BULL):  I have carved up many sets of calipers, caliper brackets and spindles. The castings are QC'ed about every other year, it seems.. I'm not talking about removing half an inch of meat. But I have removed about 1/4 inch without any trouble at all...  I mostly like to remove the casting flash and slag to smooth the parts and give them a custom look.. Plus I make sure all the grinding dust goes into my back grass. The grass loves the iron...  :2thumbs:
Steve P.
Holiday, Florida