News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Interior heat/sound deadener

Started by sanders7981, November 25, 2013, 07:40:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sanders7981

I did this on the "cheap" by ordering some Fatmat on eBay, the getting some heat insulation from Lowes.  I saw that one of the members did this to insulate the roof, so I borrowed the idea.  Instead of covering the entire roof with Fatmat, I just cut some squares to place sporadically across the three sections to assist in sound deadening then covered with the heat insulation.  The heat shield is foil covered bubble wrap from what I can tell.  I cut each piece to fit the exact section and sprayed 3m adhesive to secure the piece to the roof.  The rear section required a wider strip, so I had to cut a smaller piece to fit it, then sealed the edge with 3m foil tape.  I used the rest of the Fatmat to cover the firewall and will finish up the rear floor.  I also used the rear seat divider as a template to cut a section of heat shielding to use as a sound barrier between the interior and trunk.  Since the interior is sealed up pretty tight, I am thinking about using a couple U-Haul blankets for the floor sound barrier.  They are kind of the same consistency as jute. 

twodko

Nice work! Nix on the blanket idea........moisture retention. Bad juju. :Twocents:
FLY NAVY/Marine Corps or take the bus!

Ghoste

I'd have to agree with both of those sentiments.  :yesnod:

sanders7981

Noted... I figure that the blankets would hold moisture. I will leave them out.  I probably don't need anything else between the carpet and the floor.  I am sure it will be fine as is. 

cdr

you did a great job on the install,,,,,but i hate to tell you,that bubble radiant barrier gets old & turns to flaky powder,ask me how i know  :icon_smile_big: 
LINK TO MY STORY http://www.onallcylinders.com/2015/11/16/ride-shares-charlie-keel-battles-cancer-ms-to-build-brilliant-1968-dodge-charger/  

68 Charger 512 cid,9.7to1,Hilborn EFI,Home ported 440 source heads,small hyd roller cam,COLD A/C ,,a518 trans,Dana 60 ,4.10 gear,10.93 et,4100lbs on street tires full exhaust daily driver
Charger55 by Charlie Keel, on Flickr

sanders7981

That's ok,  I think I got it sealed up pretty good so the flakes won't come through the headliner... And it'll probably be a few years before that happens.