News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Shhhhhh, It's alive

Started by mikepmcs, May 25, 2009, 08:28:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mikepmcs

Life isn't Father Knows Best anymore, it's a kick in the face on a saturday night with a steel toed grip kodiak work boot and a trip to the hospital all bloodied and bashed.....for reconstructive surgery. But, what doesn't kill us, makes us stronger, right?

mikepmcs

Life isn't Father Knows Best anymore, it's a kick in the face on a saturday night with a steel toed grip kodiak work boot and a trip to the hospital all bloodied and bashed.....for reconstructive surgery. But, what doesn't kill us, makes us stronger, right?

skip68

:woohoo:  It's about time.   :nana:
skip68, A.K.A. Chuck \ 68 Charger 440 auto\ 67 Camaro RS (no 440)       FRANKS & BEANS !!!

mikepmcs

Yup it's running and almost whole again. Spent most of the day lining up the fenders and installing the hood and tweaking the front body as much as I'm going to.  It's almost a driver again.  The grille took quite a while shifting, adjusting, loosening, readjusting, but.... I had a lot of fun today just me and the old Charger.  Next is the bumper brackets/bumper and valance.  I still have to tighten the grille support in the center and that will take a little patience as well. Bumper bracket on the driver side appears to be a tiny bit tweaked because of how close it comes the bottom of the grille.  I figured no sense pushing it today.  I still have the rear end out(3.91's going in)  Yesterday I gave the chunk a good once over and cleaned up the pinion end, installed a new seal, greased er up and that's ready to go back in once I get the thrust spacers I just ordered.  Did a little wet sanding yesterday and will most likely do a little of that tomorrow night after I screw with the bumper.

I actually am in need of a few things so I'll post here and then post in the parts wanted section.  
- both red reflectors for the rear.  (mine are busted)
- both fender mounted hood stops/adjusters(I forgot to take them off when I got rid of my other fenders).
- passenger rear qtr window "c" trim(tail of the drip rail trim)

Thanks
v/r
Mike

69bronzeT5

Took 'ya long enough Mike! :icon_smile_big: :icon_smile_big: :nana:
Feature Editor for Mopar Connection Magazine
http://moparconnectionmagazine.com/

1969 Charger: T5 Copper 383 Automatic
1970 Challenger R/T: FC7 Plum Crazy 440 Automatic
1970 GTO: Black 400 Ram Air III 4-Speed
1971 Charger Super Bee: GY3 Citron Yella 440 4-Speed
1972 Charger: FE5 Red 360 Automatic
1973 Charger Rallye: FY1 Top Banana 440 Automatic
1973 Plymouth Road Runner: FE5 Red 440 Automatic
1973 Plymouth Duster: FC7 Plum Crazy 318 Automatic

mikepmcs

I know, bring it on, I deserve it. :eek2:

It still isn't all done yet, but it's a heck of a lot closer.

mopar_nut_440_6

That is great news Mike! Woo hoo big smoky donuts coming soon!  :2thumbs:
1968 Charger R/T 440 
2004 Dodge Ram 2500 680 HP Cummins with attitude

tan top

thats great  Mike  :yesnod:  looking forward to seeing more pictures   :yesnod: :2thumbs: :2thumbs: :popcrn:
Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

Just 6T9 CHGR

Mike I might have a spare corner trim sitting in my garage....Ill let you know what side it is...
Chris' '69 Charger R/T

Just 6T9 CHGR

Mike the one I have is for the drivers side.....sorry bro :(
Chris' '69 Charger R/T

mikepmcs

Chris,
Thank you for looking.   

mikepmcs

I'm good on the drip rail trim, I just hammered out and fixed my existing one and installed the drip rail correctly(PO installed drip rail trim underneath "C" trim)
I'm good on the hood bumpers.  Got a whole underhood kit off ebay for $18 last night.
Still need 2 red markerflectors.

Wet sanded some more tonight then started messing with drip rail on both sides.  Drip rail appears to have been a BK job(remember Jeff's drip rail...yeah I can rival that one) There is now a small crack right behind the "C" trim on the driver side where the drip edge was fu#$in bondo'd on.
I was adjusting the edge so my driver side c trim could fit and crack...... holy sh$#balls.  Anyway, both sides are at least installed correctly now.
Up to the front to finish securing the grille support.  Raised the grille up a little so my hood is off again.  I'll be massaging the hood release assembly to make everything fit the way I need it to.
I'm doing a real nice 3 point resto on it and it should be ready for the crusher here pretty soon.   :lol:

mikepmcs

Still going.  Grille, valance, bumper, etc... all in and aligned as good as he's gonna get. Car is mostly just waiting for a buff now and a little cutting here and there.
Still waiting on my thrust spacers that I got off ebay so I can put the rear end in.  I'll be cleaning up the rear end housing and prep for the gasket tonight and also putting in the turn signals.  Maybe screw with this NSS issue again as I leave it unplugged because my reverse lights come on in drive.  Timing and tune the carb after I clean the crap out of it with C&C Clean.

Also, still need 2 red rear markers if anyone has a set they would like to part with.  Both mine are broke in half.

mikepmcs

mikepmcs

:leaving:

Charger-Bodie

closer and closer all the time!  :2thumbs:
68 Charger R/t white with black v/t and red tailstripe. 440 4 speed ,black interior
68 383 auto with a/c and power windows. Now 440 4 speed jj1 gold black interior .
My Charger is a hybrid car, it burns gas and rubber............

mikepmcs

Thrust spacers must have come in the mail yesterday.  They were in my box today so I stuffed the chunk in there and got the rear back together, wheels on etc...... went through the gears for a bit....seems to be working pretty well. 
Went back out and started buffing again just to keep plugging away.  I need another wool pad or two.. I have to stop once the pad gets too caked(bad word, just to wet for my liking)  So I'll just wait til tomorrow night.  Gonna be a long week because I have to work late every night.  I guess my plan is to buff a little each night.  The pushbar is not all the way on yet(only one side is tacked)  I spent about 3 hours lining it up today using jack stands, wood, my knees.... :lol:  I stopped welding due to getting late and I like to give it ample time to see if something is going to flash. 

Put the passenger door pad on as well just now.  Looks decent and is 100% better than what was on there.  If anyone has a driver pad core that they want to donate I'd appreciate it. ;D
I pulled the vinyl back on the pass door pad that was on the car and holy sh$# I think it came from BK!  The hack that did the interior actually put bondo in the relief portions of the padding...yes, bondo under the vinyl covering.  I cant' get the lines perfect on the one I did but I'm happy with it and it fits perfectly now where the one that was on there ripped within a week of opening and shutting the door.

jb666

WOW Mike, that looks GREAT!! You did the paint work yourself on this??? I'm impressed!! I wish I saw this sooner..

I'd give you all of the parts you needed, but you know the condition of the things that came off my car, sorry man.

:drool5:

mikepmcs

jb666

Well ALL RIGHT Mike, he's looking great!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You've been busting your butt out there, great job!!!!!!!!!!

mikepmcs

Almost there, tomorrow, clean it up some more and hopefully :drive: thursday.  Still need a couple things though and to tighten some stuff here and there. 
Put another NSS in there and it still shines the reverse lights in drive. :shruggy:  That friggin thing is driving me crazy.  My shifter is adjusted correctly so I'm up for other suggestions.

jb666

Well post some more pics!!!

mikepmcs

That's it til it actually goes outside.  Gotta fix the garage door so I can open it(spring broke) 
That's how long it's been in there. :lol:

mikepmcs

Here ya go Jeff and gang.  I'm posting on my new dell mini 10 so cut me alittle slack as I try this out.  Lots of high tech stuff going on here in the last 20 minutes.  I'm getting cable internet back so they cut my dsl already those bastards. Good timing getting the laptop and air card.  :icon_smile_big:  That's all your fault BTW Jeff. :lol:

mikepmcs

:2thumbs:

mikepmcs

:icon_smile_big:

69bronzeT5

Quote from: mikepmcs on June 17, 2009, 07:43:34 PM

Mike, the car looks AWESOME!!!! Better than before!!! I used that second picture as my desktop background....guess what picture I had as my background but replaced it with your Charger.....my Duster! That's right, I replaced a picture of my Duster with your General Lee for my desktop background. That's how sweet your car looks! :cheers: You're making me want a General now :drool5:

mikepmcs

Thanks Cody for the kind words.  You come on down here and you can drive it whenever you want. Pictures might do the car too much justice as it really is just a driver but i like it and wouldn't trade it for another. 

So, the charger should be back on the road by weeks end.  Rain coming I hear though.

Some more tweaking and cleaning to do.  gonna run some new gas and see about that tuning issue. 

Mike 

69bronzeT5

Quote from: mikepmcs on June 17, 2009, 08:16:12 PM
Thanks Cody for the kind words.  You come on down here and you can drive it whenever you want. Pictures might do the car too much justice as it really is just a driver but i like it and wouldn't trade it for another. 

You should take it to Carlisle next year ;)

Charger-Bodie

Good to see your gettin really close Mike!!  :2thumbs:

Looks REALLY nice too!
68 Charger R/t white with black v/t and red tailstripe. 440 4 speed ,black interior
68 383 auto with a/c and power windows. Now 440 4 speed jj1 gold black interior .
My Charger is a hybrid car, it burns gas and rubber............

mikepmcs

Thank you kind sir,  and thanks for the couple boots in the arse along the way.
:cheers:

mopar0166

sweet general, i hope I can get there one day.  mine is driving and running ut still in progress

69*F5*SE

Charger looks cool. Congrats on being so close. That Challenger looks great too.

jb666

WOW, MIKE!!!  :o I'm not sure what I like best, your car(s), your truck, your land or your house!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Awesome setup.

And you're right, you certainly know how to take a Hell of a picture!

Since we have the same camera (Nikon) let me ask you, what are you using for a lense/filter here (or most often for outdoor shots)??

:popcrn:

mikepmcs

Jeff
Thanks
Actually that was on full auto so I just got lucky literally that they came out decent. I'm just using a uv filter to protect my lens.  If I want to trick it up i can play with settings on the camera.  This time it is unmolested WYSIWYG.  Outdoor shots can get tricky but most of the time the camera will adjust accordingy, just gotta watch where the sun/light is cause it can screw a shot up in a second. Perfect angle, take the shot and there's a fireball in the pic.  We've all been there.  I'm a total amateur but I do enjoy the aspects of photography.  Now Elanmars, that guy can snap em and what an eye!

Ok, i'm off on a tangent but thanks for the kind words. 

Registered the car today.  $38 and i'm all set for a year. :icon_smile_cool:

Anyone got any input on what might be the fix concerning my NSS issue.  2nd switch(cause i had a new one laying around to throw at it) and reverse lights still stay on in drive. 

TylerCharger69

Looks great Mike.....Mine is on the chopping block right now as we speak.  Hopefully  if all goes as planned, it will only be down for 2 or 3 months.  P.S.....I could sure use a set of those Vectors at a decent price...lol

tan top

looks real good Mike  :yesnod:   :coolgleamA: :coolgleamA:
Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 

aone415

We need a sound clip and some video!!! now get on it!

This Charger right here is a one of none, that means none before it, none to come.

PocketThunder

Do you still need a drivers side door pad?  I might have one if i can remember to look for it when i get home tonight. 

PT
"Liberalism is a disease that attacks one's ability to understand logic. Extreme manifestations include the willingness to continue down a path of self destruction, based solely on a delusional belief in a failed ideology."

mikepmcs

Quote from: PocketThunder on June 23, 2009, 03:09:22 PM
Do you still need a drivers side door pad?  I might have one if i can remember to look for it when i get home tonight. 

PT
I believe Troy(mxzx440} is hooking me up.  Thank you for the offer though.
v/r
Mike

PocketThunder

Quote from: mikepmcs on June 23, 2009, 04:11:46 PM
Quote from: PocketThunder on June 23, 2009, 03:09:22 PM

PT
I believe Troy(mxzx440} is hooking me up.  Thank you for the offer though.
v/r
Mike

Minnesota guys sure are nice...  :icon_smile_big:    :2thumbs:
"Liberalism is a disease that attacks one's ability to understand logic. Extreme manifestations include the willingness to continue down a path of self destruction, based solely on a delusional belief in a failed ideology."

mikepmcs

That is a very true statement...very good people out that way and the surrounding states. :2thumbs:

TylerCharger69

Mike....I'm in the process of tearing mine apart....what exactly is the color of your GL?  People tell me mine is too dark, and others say not.  I want to make sure it's correct....but I don't want it to be TOO orange y'know....lol    Thanks....Ace

mikepmcs

Ace,
I went with Big Bad Orange for the repaint.  I could not match whatever crappy color the previous hack blew on there.
BBO is supposedly the color used on the 05 movie cars and because mine looks most like the 05 movie car, I went with that.  It is a very nice color.

Correct would be Corvette Flame Red and maybe that is what is on your car so it appears darker.  Hemo Orange is always a good choice but as far as being correct, once again, it is debated and hashed over again. 
I'm sure MikeDc will chime in here and set us straight.  Jim Shine would really be the guy that I would ask because I value his opinion greatly but Jim doesn't come on this site anymore.  I'll ask him next time I talk to him.

v/r
Mike

TylerCharger69

Big Bad Orange...Is that a Mopar color?

mikepmcs

Don't hold me to this but I believe BBO is an AMC color.  I'm pretty sure when the boys at the Napa mixed it for me last year, my buddy behind the counter said AMC.

tan top

Quote from: mikepmcs on July 01, 2009, 12:35:11 PM
Don't hold me to this but I believe BBO is an AMC color.  I'm pretty sure when the boys at the Napa mixed it for me last year, my buddy behind the counter said AMC.

yeah i think your right  :yesnod:  :scratchchin:  AMC ........ :popcrn:

Charger Stuff 

TylerCharger69

Well  I do know that LEE 1 is Corvette Flame Red.  I also know that during the series there were many different colors used.  I prefer the darker ones myself.  When I got the first paint job on my car, my knowledge back then wasn't what it is today.  The color that was used back in 1996 on my car was DuPont Imron.  The color was 6543-U.  If this can help anyone with paint expertise and to help me out.  I'm going to go with the Big Bad Orange though.  Car looks great Mike!!!   Just one thing....are you going to paint those Vectors the black color?  I don't know why they make them in Grey like that....

mikepmcs

Ace,
I don't know why they made them gray either.  They are the ARE 47 repops.  I will, however,  leave them as is.  No repaint unless it becomes required and then they will become black.

6543U is Black imron.  That' s all I can come up with. I'm guessing they recoded it since 1996??

Mike

TylerCharger69

Well...I guess they did.  Unless the can had the wrong label on it.  I used to work in a factory that painted all of the Penske trucks.  So they would get that yellow or white by the pallet load. I purchased my paint through that workplace and that was the code according to the little sticker that was on the can.

mikepmcs

No i'm sure your right on. I just did a quick search and that's all that kept coming up.  I'll check the color charts down at my buddy's shop in the next couple days to see if I can get a chip.  I'll put it next to my car if I find it and see how big a difference it makes.

You want me to spray out a small panel with some BBO(have a half quart left) and send it to you so you can see what it will look like?

suburbanfireman

Car looks great.  Do you mind if I ask what size tires / rims you put on all 4 corners?  The stance looks perfect on your car (back tires are just right - not too small  :Twocents:).  I have the 15x8.5 AR vectors (repops) with 5 inch BS for my 68 - just need to buy tires.  I want to get it right the first time - otherwise I will be forced to "wear-out" my back tires quickly! 
Tim "The Toolman" Taylor: "I think I might be addicted to cars."

Jill Taylor: "Well, DUH!"

Tim "The Toolman" Taylor: "I'm thinking about checking myself into the Henry Ford Clinic!"

mikepmcs

Thanks.

UP FRONT:  15x7   235/60/R15 BFG'S   I wouldn't dare go too much bigger there.
OUT BACK: 15x8.5 295/50/R15 BFG'S   They yell at me every now and again when going slow taking a turn on a grade when the back end squats.  Nothing I can't live with.

American Racing repops just like yours as well. 

Mike

TylerCharger69

Yeah  Mike...that'll be cool!!!  I'm pretty sure that's what I'm going to go with, but to actually see it up close and personal would help finalize my decision.

mikepmcs

Ok, I'll BC/CC a panel this weekend and get your info after it's done.

Light or dark primer.  If you have an idea what primer you are going with, I'll throw a coat of that on there as well prior to paint

TylerCharger69

I imagine it'll be a light grey. I'm going to put the car in a full sealer coat and It resembles the grey primer

mikepmcs

Yup, we got some gray sealer down there I think.  I'll probably do it Saturday.

TylerCharger69

Mike....got the sample in the mail today!!!   That's what I needed to see so I can go order this paint.  I really appreciate that!!!  I guess mine was a bit on the dark side, but if you look at the pics....it's hard to tell...

mikepmcs

Glad you got it ok. Looking forward to updates on your build.   :cheers:

Lord Warlock

Nice to see another charger owner with a challenger as a daily driver.  Also nice to see them color coordinated,  I'm just starting the reassembly process on mine after years of work, and maybe will get some pictures loaded soon,  but i have a 2010 DY challenger r/t to go with the 69 Y3 Charger. 
69 RT/SE Y3 cream yellow w/tan vinyl top and black r/t stripe. non matching 440/375, 3:23, Column shift auto w/buddy seat, tan interior, am/fm w/fr to back fade, Now wears 17" magnum 500 rims and Nitto tires. Fresh repaint, new interior, new wheels and tires.