News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

That "gasoline smell", is it something old cars have?

Started by elanmars, June 02, 2009, 03:47:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

resq302

The thing is you will always have that gasoline smell around the car.  Main reasoning is that there is a bowl vent on the carb.  When the car is shut off, the gas will evaporate through that vent in the carb getting into the air surrounding the car.
Brian
1969 Dodge Charger (factory 4 speed, H code 383 engine,  AACA Senior winner, 2008 Concours d'Elegance participant, 2009 Concours d'Elegance award winner)
1970 Challenger Convert. factory #'s matching red inter. w/ white body.  318 car built 9/28/69 (AACA Senior winner)
1969 Plymough GTX convertible - original sheet metal, #'s matching drivetrain, T3 Honey Bronze, 1 of 701 produced, 1 of 362 with 440 4 bbl - auto

elanmars

where mine comes from, I've noticed, is from the engine bay itself. I shut the windows up, it's all good. I have them down and that smell is right there in your face.
1969 Dodge Charger, pseudo General Lee., 1973 ratty Dodge Charger.

check out my photography: http://www.tomasraul.com
instagram: tomasraul
facebook: www.facebook.com/tomasraulphotography

c00nhunterjoe

as said, the carb will smell of gas, its the way they are, but it should not be overwhelming. the exhaust smell is annoying but par for the course with carbureted vehicles. the bigger the cam the more overlap, and the more overlap the more exhaust odor. initial timing adjustments will help some with the hydrocarbons but not eliminate it. 

Charger440RDN

Every old car I have ever owned had the infamous exhaust smell and sometimes you can smell gas. i think it's normal for an older carbureted car. My wife always would complain about the exhaust smell, so i would just take the newer car when we would go somewhere.

resq302

The more I drive my car, the more I am thinking it has to do with the newer formula of gas.  We were at a show and our 70 chally vert was not started for a week.  It took forever to fire up and then took it out for a drive.  The next day we had that same gas odor in the garage.  For giggles, I checked to see how much squirt I had coming from the carb and there was minimal.  Again, it seemed to take longer than normal to fire up.  The carb was recently rebuilt and this problem just started since we were out at Carlisle.  Since then, I have noticed that all of the gas stations by me have put the 10% ethanol sticker on their pumps.  Now it is possible that the carb may be leaking down internally with the engine off, however, I am leaning towards todays crappy fuels evaporating faster than they used to.  Hence, the odor coming from the cars.
Brian
1969 Dodge Charger (factory 4 speed, H code 383 engine,  AACA Senior winner, 2008 Concours d'Elegance participant, 2009 Concours d'Elegance award winner)
1970 Challenger Convert. factory #'s matching red inter. w/ white body.  318 car built 9/28/69 (AACA Senior winner)
1969 Plymough GTX convertible - original sheet metal, #'s matching drivetrain, T3 Honey Bronze, 1 of 701 produced, 1 of 362 with 440 4 bbl - auto

TylerCharger69

Wow....i dont have the raw fuel smell problem......is something wrong then??

resq302

Tyler, could be a couple of things.... could be that you have a different carb on your car.  Could be that our chally is leaking down internally, or it could even be that you have better gas out where you live without the ethanol crap. 
Brian

Ghoste

1BAD68

Mine has a faint gas smell after its been running. I get a strange exhaust smell in the cabin when I floor it. I like it though it reminds me of a lot of cars I was in as a kid back in the early 70's.
One thing I love is the smell of my garage when I park my Charger in it after a long cruise, kind of a pleasant mixture of gas, oil, exhaust, etc... Its not strong or offensive but just mildly pleasant.

TylerCharger69

I'm just running a basic edelbrock 1405 with an open air cleaner......

autodynamics

convert to fuel injection....mine fortunately has lost the old smell......one of the benefits of doing the swap... :Twocents: