News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Say Hello to Project "SurpriseBird" (FINISHED) ...Updates Pg. 7 on 12-2-11

Started by CornDogsCharger, June 03, 2009, 08:18:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CornDogsCharger

Time to clean the car up... inside and out, top to bottom.  Here the car is on the wash rack getting a full detail. 

Justin
"CornDog"

1966 Dodge Charger
1969 Dodge Charger (DMCL Project)
1969 Dodge Charger (WB General Lee "GL#004")
1969 Dodge Super Bee

CornDogsCharger

After the inside and outside was cleaned, the underside needed to be detailed. 

Justin
"CornDog"

1966 Dodge Charger
1969 Dodge Super Bee

CornDogsCharger

Back when I first started on this car, I found an "S" on the passenger side frame rail... so I put it back.  It isn't exact but I was going on memory and I highly doubt every "S" was exact.  Anybody else seen this before??

Justin
"CornDog"

1966 Dodge Charger
1969 Dodge Super Bee

CornDogsCharger

I figured everyone would like this.  I never found a build sheet for the car but the original dealer invoice was a cool piece to have!!  Doug probably knows more about the history than I do from his old records.  The original owner traded in his '68 Chrysler towards the Superbird.  He was a traveling salesman and this 'Bird was his form or transportation.  Can you image that!  From what I understand, the salesman at the dealership caught the buyer eyeing the 'Bird as they walked past it and so he tells the buyer something to the effect of "Too bad you aren't as young as you once were.  That car would have been perfect for you".  I guess the salesman found his soft spot and talked him into buying the car.

Justin
"CornDog"

1966 Dodge Charger
1969 Dodge Super Bee

moparstuart

GO SELL CRAZY SOMEWHERE ELSE WE ARE ALL STOCKED UP HERE

CornDogsCharger

The owner really wanted the car to be ready for a local show Scarecrow Cruise.  This show has gotten bigger and bigger each year (about 400 cars now).  The show was on a Saturday and I finished the car on Friday evening before the show.  Here are a few pictures from the show.  The Tor Red bird belongs to JW Hames.  The Green and Vitamin C Orange birds belong to my boss and are the ones I built.  We tried to get a couple other local Bird owners to come to the show and line them all up.  Jeff Sables owns a white 6 pack car, Richard Hyatt owns a yellow 4bbl car, Paul Verdin and Calvin Cannon both own B5 Blue 4bbl cars.  It would have been cool if we could have had all of the local Birds there.  Oh well.  If you're wondering about the skulls on the cars... this show is usually 2 weeks before Halloween... so everyone that gets creative with their car's display usually go with a Halloween theme.  This isn't so much my bosses doing but more so his wife.  She likes to be creative and I think he would rather do without... haha

Justin
"CornDog"

1966 Dodge Charger
1969 Dodge Super Bee

oldcarnut

Wow, such talented work  :yesnod: .  I like to know more about the a/c he had.  I looked back a few pages and hope I didn't miss it but hows it work out for him and who's kit was it?  Would it fit under the 6 bbl breather?

CornDogsCharger

Quote from: oldcarnut on December 04, 2011, 11:28:37 AM
Wow, such talented work  :yesnod: .  I like to know more about the a/c he had.  I looked back a few pages and hope I didn't miss it but hows it work out for him and who's kit was it?  Would it fit under the 6 bbl breather?

Thanks for the compliments!  The A/C kit was from Classic Auto Air.  The tech guys seem pretty good so maybe they will be able to tell you if it will fit under a 6 pack air cleaner.  I wrapped up the restoration on this '66 Coronet Conv and we dropped in a 472 Hemi.  I installed the same A/C kit on this car and it seemed to fit well under the VERY LARGE air cleaner.  The compressor sits far enough forward, I think it should clear it.  The only clearance issue I had was against the cylinder head.  I had to take about 1/4in. off the corner and then relocate the coil.  

Justin
"CornDog"

1966 Dodge Charger
1969 Dodge Super Bee

FJ5WING

:drool5: :drool5:

AWSOME.......

I have a question about the Black "X" along with the pint inspection stamp. I only have the X on the right side fender. I assumed it was an X because the stamp was out of order or reach, whatever. Ive never seen another car with it so it was cool to see your work with it. Im pretty sure the inspection markings were only on the right side though? :shruggy:
wingless now, but still around.

CornDogsCharger

Quote from: FJ5WING on December 04, 2011, 01:53:29 PM
:drool5: :drool5:

AWSOME.......

I have a question about the Black "X" along with the pint inspection stamp. I only have the X on the right side fender. I assumed it was an X because the stamp was out of order or reach, whatever. Ive never seen another car with it so it was cool to see your work with it. Im pretty sure the inspection markings were only on the right side though? :shruggy:

Thanks man!  On the "X", I found it on the passenger fender... which was original to the car.  The driver fender was replaced when the car was t-boned.  At the time of doing this car, I just figured if it was on one fender then it would have been on both.  But now, looking back at some pictures I took of an original unpainted B5 blue car, his is only on the right side too.  If it is only supposed to be one side then I can easily go back and remove it from the driver side fender.  

The markings found on this car

Here it is on an original engine bay.  The "Paint OK" stamp is different than the original but if I can get a stamp just like the original then it will be an easy thing the fix.

1966 Dodge Charger
1969 Dodge Super Bee

CornDogsCharger

Another marking that I found on the car early on was this yellow line on the passenger side cowl panel.I don't know what it means.  The owner didn't really want that line back on the car.  At least I have a picture for reference.  

Justin
"CornDog"

1966 Dodge Charger
1969 Dodge Super Bee

tan top

Quote from: CornDogsCharger on December 03, 2011, 08:44:23 PM
After the inside and outside was cleaned, the underside needed to be detailed. 

Justin
"CornDog"

:o  :drool5:   :faint: :drool5:   awesome job  :2thumbs: :yesnod:
Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

ChgrSteve67

CornDogsCharger

Quote from: ChgrSteve67 on December 04, 2011, 11:12:47 PM
Thats increadable work Justin

Did you get to drive it ?

Heck yeah I drove it :) haha!  I strategically make the the cars un-drivable until I finish my part :)  I figure since I do the majority of the work, I should be the first to drive it.  I break them in good too.

Justin
"CornDog"
1966 Dodge Charger
1969 Dodge Super Bee

greenpigs

1969 Charger RT

Living Chevy free

CornDogsCharger

The green car handles nice at 100 with the radials but the orange car floats a little from side to side with the polyglass tires at 110. The red hemi Coronet, that car has plenty of pull left in it at 110!  And for some reason, it tends to leave a trail behind it when drive off. I'm still trying to figure out how to solve this problem.   :angel:

Justin
"CornDog"
1966 Dodge Charger
1969 Dodge Super Bee

hemi68charger

Troy
'69 Charger Daytona 440 auto 4.10 Dana ( now 426 HEMI )
'70 Superbird 426 Hemi auto: Lindsley Bonneville Salt Flat world record holder (220.2mph)
Houston Mopar Club Connection

Charger_Dart

68 Charger R/T & 68 Dart GT Convertible