News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

nichels EPA bird story

Started by moparstuart, July 25, 2009, 10:17:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

moparstuart

GO SELL CRAZY SOMEWHERE ELSE WE ARE ALL STOCKED UP HERE

4cruzin

Tomorrow is promised to NOBODY . . . .

Chris G.

The car and the guy (wearing the exact same clothes) were in the car corral area in Carlisle all weekend. They were really offering restoration services, rather than selling a car. They had a nice video looping and chains and poles around the car all weekend. 3 mil will never happen, but a cool car.

The guy was ready and willing to answer all questions, whether from kids or drunk shirtless hee-haws.

maxwellwedge

"This Vehicle has been certified and documented by Galen Goviea". 

http://www.everythingmuscle.com/

Wow! Another Galen!  :lol:

69_500

Quote from: maxwellwedge on July 25, 2009, 07:39:50 PM

Well that is mentioned on the same page that list a Alpine White Superbird as having a "FRAME OFF" restoration as well though.  :nana:

Ghoste

Quote from: maxwellwedge on July 25, 2009, 07:39:50 PM

Yeah, that's what we need.  ::) :D

moparstuart

tan top

remember the thread on that car !!  :yesnod:   rare & a piece of mopar history for sure , but  would you want it in that form , or back to stock :scratchchin:

3 million  ++++   just shows how crazy the prices are in our hobby  :coocoo:, but its a one of a kind  bird !  with history
Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

Aero426

Quote from: tan top on July 30, 2009, 09:51:29 AM
remember the thread on that car !!  :yesnod:   rare & a piece of mopar history for sure , but  would you want it in that form , or back to stock :scratchchin:

3 million  ++++   just shows how crazy the prices are in our hobby  :coocoo:, but its a one of a kind  bird !  with history

Before the restoration, it was for the most part, "back to stock" and unless you knew the background, it looked like a just another white Superbird.   Now that price is surely notgonnahappen.com, but what do you folks think it is worth?  

The good:
The car is the real deal modified by Nichels Engineering
It has documented history
It appears to be very well restored with original components and EPA sampling equipment
It is a one of one car.

The not so good:
Most people are not familiar with the story of the car
Some will not be excited about the government gray color even though it's done the way it should be.
It doesn't have a Hemi.

My prediction is there will be a relatively thin buyers pool who wants it and will pay a huge premium for it.  If you could buy a restored Hemi 4-speed Superbird for $300k or this car for $300k, most buyers will go for the restored stock Hemi car. I am not suggesting it's even worth 300k.   What do you all think?

moparstuart

3 million  ++++   just shows how crazy the prices are in our hobby  :coocoo:, but its a one of a kind  bird !  with history
Personally i would want it in the nichels modified form but thats my  :Twocents: :Twocents:.  Very cool piece of history , but the articles make it sound like it's a historic nichels race car (history value)  no it's not .  Yes it is a nichels modified car but not as significant as one of his race cars in my book ?  

moparstuart

Quote from: Aero426 on July 30, 2009, 10:09:41 AM

Before the restoration, it was for the most part, "back to stock" and unless you knew the background, it looked like a just another white Superbird.   Now that price is surely notgonnahappen.com, but what do you folks think it is worth?  

The good:
The car is the real deal modified by Nichels Engineering
It has documented history
It appears to be very well restored with original components and EPA sampling equipment
It is a one of one car.

The not so good:
Most people are not familiar with the story of the car
Some will not be excited about the government gray color even though it's done the way it should be.
It doesn't have a Hemi.

My prediction is there will be a relatively thin buyers pool who wants it and will pay a huge premium for it.  If you could buy a restored Hemi 4-speed Superbird for $300k or this car for $300k, most buyers will go for the restored stock Hemi car. I am not suggesting it's even worth 300k.   What do you all think?

300k is still way to high but much more inline then 3 mill

68X426

Let's just pass the hat (Plymouth hat) and collect one buck each. We can get to the 3 mill in no time.

The 12 Scariest Words in the English Language:
We are Here from The Government and
We Want to Help You.

1968 Plymouth Road Runner, Hemi and much more
2013 Dodge Challenger RT, Hemi, Plum Crazy
2014 Ram 4x4 Hemi, Deep Cherry Pearl
1968 Dodge Charger, 318, not much else
1958 Dodge Pick Up, 383, loud
1966 Dodge Van, /6, slow

Redbird

Doug, I agree with what you said.

First off, I really like the car, and the work that has gone into making it look like it does. It seems to have a pretty documented history and a lot of old EPA and Nichols parts are on it. I really like the work done to have it look as it was but more care than when it left Nichols. To me a really refreshing change from all the cars that look the same.

The bad, in my view, is that a previous owner erased most of the history. The car is more like a recreation of the Nichols car, built on the Nichols car body. Mind you I think it is increadable to have that work done to the level it is. I didn't realize that a lot of the modified parts had been removed in the intervening years. I think the current owner will pay a price at sale time for that.

At a one time auction it could go for a lot, or little. Big shot in the dark to me. Long term my guess is that the car will be worth about 1 1/2 times what a restored car sells for based on the factory engine/trans. It is a special car and there is a buyer for it somewhere.

A couple of weeks ago I was at the Car Craft Summer Nationals in St. Paul. There was a couple there that now owns Vern Judy's old Bonneville car (the car wasn't at the show), very nice folks. They said a previous owner had removed everything Vern had on the car, roll cage-everything. I guess they still have one old door that Vern had painted, and the parachute. So another car that was very unique had the history erased.

nascarxx29

Like you said another unique car with its history erased  .But there this to show how it was.And how it looks erased

http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,52688.msg583565/topicseen.html#msg583565
1969 R4 Daytona XX29L9B410772
1970 EV2 Superbird RM23UOA174597
1970 FY1 Superbird RM23UOA166242
1970 EV2 Superbird RM23VOA179697
1968 426 Road Runner RM21J8A134509
1970 Coronet RT WS23UOA224126
1970 Daytona Clone XP29GOG178701

nascarxx29

Here its known as the $3million dollar superbird.Its a highly recogonized notable car of history.Built by Ray Nichels.What it will be worth in dollars and cents?? But in historic retrospect its priceless :Twocents:
Just wondering starting with the 69 Propane X Charger 500 to daytonas and onto superbirds .Other highly recogonized mopar aero wing cars .In any order
1969 R4 Daytona XX29L9B410772
1970 EV2 Superbird RM23UOA174597
1970 FY1 Superbird RM23UOA166242
1970 EV2 Superbird RM23VOA179697
1968 426 Road Runner RM21J8A134509
1970 Coronet RT WS23UOA224126
1970 Daytona Clone XP29GOG178701