News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

One More Disc Brake Conversion Topic...

Started by CornDogsCharger, June 21, 2009, 10:46:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

CornDogsCharger

I have read many of the disc brake conversion topics but I still have a few questions.  Here is what I have.  I have a '69 Charger that was originally a 318 car with power drum brakes all the way around.  I also have a 1973 Dart Sport that was a 340 car with power drums in the rear and discs up front.  It is my understanding that an A-body disc setup will bolt on fine.  My questions is.... please list EVERYTHING that I will need to remove from the Dart in order to do the conversion to the Charger.  I will not re-use the old master cylinder but when I order one, should I order it for the Dart or Charger... or does it really matter? 

I know there are many conversion kits available out there but I am trying to stay on a budget (as most people are these days) and plus... I already have the A-body setup... why not put it to use!  Thanks for the help.

Justin
"CornDog"
1966 Dodge Charger
1969 Dodge Charger (DMCL Project)
1969 Dodge Charger (WB General Lee "GL#004")
1969 Dodge Super Bee

Rolling_Thunder

Parts needed:

Spindles
Rotors
Calipers
Caliper Brackets
Bracket mounding bolts
Brake hoses
Brake Pads
Inner / outer Bearings (include grease cap and inner grease seal)
Proportioning Valve
1968 Dodge Charger - 6.1L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.55 Sure Grip

2013 Dodge Challenger R/T - 5.7L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.73 Limited Slip

1964 Dodge Polara 500 - 440 / 4-speed / 3.91 Sure Grip

1973 Dodge Challenger Rallye - 340 / A-518 / 3.23 Sure Grip

CornDogsCharger

Thanks for your help.  Will I need the Dart proportioning valve?
1966 Dodge Charger
1969 Dodge Super Bee

Rolling_Thunder

oooops...     I believe so...    disc valves are different than drums...     List edited
1968 Dodge Charger - 6.1L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.55 Sure Grip

2013 Dodge Challenger R/T - 5.7L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.73 Limited Slip

1964 Dodge Polara 500 - 440 / 4-speed / 3.91 Sure Grip

1973 Dodge Challenger Rallye - 340 / A-518 / 3.23 Sure Grip

Foreman72

Eric "Foreman"

Previous: 1972 Dodge Charger
Current: 2002 Volvo S60

"The steps of a man are ordered by the LORD, and He delights in his way. Though he fall, he shall not be utterly cast down; For the LORD upholds him with His hand.
=Psalm 37:23-24=
"But store up for yourselves treasures in heaven..."
=Matthew 6:19-21=
:pat

bull

Quote from: Rolling_Thunder on June 21, 2009, 04:47:06 PM
Parts needed:

Spindles
Rotors
Calipers
Caliper Brackets
Bracket mounding bolts
Brake hoses
Brake Pads
Inner / outer Bearings (include grease cap and inner grease seal)
Proportioning Valve

I would only reuse about half of this stuff if I wanted 10.87" discs. Reusing rotors, pads, bearings and hoses is not really a good idea IMO. If you want the larger 11.75" rotors the only thing you can use from that list is the spindles. So are you going with 10.87" rotors or 11.75"?

CornDogsCharger

Honestly, I haven't decided about the size.  For now, I'll just use whatever will work.  As for the replaceable parts (pads, hoses, etc.) I will not reuse them.  I will buy new. 

Justin
"CornDog"
1966 Dodge Charger
1969 Dodge Super Bee

bull

Quote from: CornDogsCharger on June 25, 2009, 07:22:52 PM
Honestly, I haven't decided about the size.  For now, I'll just use whatever will work.  As for the replaceable parts (pads, hoses, etc.) I will not reuse them.  I will buy new. 

Justin
"CornDog"

Ok, the setup you have on the Dart will work but it's only good for the 10.87" rotors, which in my opinion are fine. Maybe not as good as the 11.75" rotors but much, much better than drums. If you just want to use that setup go to the parts store and buy all the new parts you need for a Dart, including the master cylinder. The only items I would reuse are the spindles, caliper adapters and bolts. The calipers will be good to pay for the core charge but I'd scrap the rest. If you want the larger rotors you'll need different caliper adapters, calipers, rotors, etc. I have a list if you want to go that route. You will end up spending about the same except for the cost of the adapters and those can be had fairly cheap.

CornDogsCharger

I think this is the route I will go.  Like I said before, I already have everything needed to swap the Dart stuff over to the Charger.  Plus, I have brand new rotors as well as everything needed to rebuild the calipers.  Really, the only thing I will need to buy are pads, hoses, bearings, and a master cylinder.  Thanks for everyone's help!

Justin
"CornDog"
1966 Dodge Charger
1969 Dodge Super Bee

bull

There are some differences in some of the replacement master cylinders so that will be another thing to keep an eye on. I needed one where the lines came out by the inner fender and the one I found is a new part from AutoZone by Dynapak (Fenco), P/N NM1672 for a '73 Dart (made is USA if you can believe it). Here's some reading on that issue:

http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,57257.0.html
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,55572.0.html
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,30312.0.html