News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

8-3/4 Rear Question.

Started by Chris 69, June 25, 2009, 12:39:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chris 69

On my '68 Charger, the rear is an 8-3/4", 742 case. It started leaking oil out the front, so now I am going to replace the seal.

This is the first time I've tried this on any car.

Questions:

1. I have the drive shaft off the differential, is the yoke retaining nut (that was behind the u-joint) left or right-hand threaded?

2. Crawling around under the rear prior to removing the driveshaft, I noticed one of the u-joint caps was missing a bolt. Upon removing the cap, the missing bolt is sheared off (sometime in the last 41 years) inside the yoke. How do I get the sheared-off bolt out?

Thanks, Chris

lisiecki1

so the pinion seal is leaking?  It's been a while since I've removed a pinion yoke, but I believe the threads are standard right-hand threads.

and go to the auto parts store, or your local tool supplier and buy an EZ-Out kit for that sheared bolt.
Remember the average response time to a 911 call is over 4 minutes.

The average response time of a 357 magnum is 1400 FPS.

http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,52527.0.html

Chris 69

Quote from: lisiecki1 on June 25, 2009, 08:34:12 AM
so the pinion seal is leaking?  It's been a while since I've removed a pinion yoke, but I believe the threads are standard right-hand threads.

and go to the auto parts store, or your local tool supplier and buy an EZ-Out kit for that sheared bolt.

Thank you for the information.

Yes, I believe the pinion seal is leaking.

Chris 69

OK, this afternoon, I have been trying to loosen the pinion gear nut.

Here's what I tried (turning the nut counter clockwise, looking at the front of the differential):

1. My 1/2" drive socket.
2. My 1/2" drive socket + hydraulic bottle jack.
3. 18" breaker bar.
4. 18" breaker bar + hydraulic bottle jack.

So far, the nut has not budged.

Any suggestions as to how to loosen this pinion gear nut?

Thanks, Chris

lisiecki1

Hi Chris, would it be possible for you to take a quality picture of the yoke....maybe looking at it will give me some ideas....I don't know why you're having so much trouble....every one I've ever done was fairly simple.

Chris 69

Quote from: lisiecki1 on June 25, 2009, 10:19:04 PM
Hi Chris, would it be possible for you to take a quality picture of the yoke....maybe looking at it will give me some ideas....I don't know why you're having so much trouble....every one I've ever done was fairly simple.

See attached picture. Thank you!

Also, note the sheared-off bolt on one of the holes...

terrible one

Hey man,

I'm also facing removing my yoke and replacing this seal pretty soon. I haven't been home to try it yet, but my idea so far after trying to remove it/ keep the car from rolling, etc. was to use a socket and  breaker bar and starting the tool as far from the ground as possible, push the car forward as fast as you can. I'm thinking the weight of the car and the breaker bar on the concrete will leave the pinion nut with no choice but to give. If you don't try it first, I will!  :scratchchin:

lisiecki1

Quote from: terrible one on June 26, 2009, 12:49:14 AM

Hey man,

I'm also facing removing my yoke and replacing this seal pretty soon. I haven't been home to try it yet, but my idea so far after trying to remove it/ keep the car from rolling, etc. was to use a socket and  breaker bar and starting the tool as far from the ground as possible, push the car forward as fast as you can. I'm thinking the weight of the car and the breaker bar on the concrete will leave the pinion nut with no choice but to give. If you don't try it first, I will!  :scratchchin:

^ that is actually the way i did my first one....it was a single-trak 8.25, I left one tire on the ground and used the other tire to break the nut loose.  We still need to verify that those threads are standard threads though, I'd hate to see something that important get screwed up....

Chris 69

Quote from: lisiecki1 on June 26, 2009, 07:09:16 AM
Quote from: terrible one on June 26, 2009, 12:49:14 AM

Hey man,

^ that is actually the way i did my first one....it was a single-trak 8.25, I left one tire on the ground and used the other tire to break the nut loose.  We still need to verify that those threads are standard threads though, I'd hate to see something that important get screwed up....

I've been wondering about the thread direction as well. I've researched the topic on the web and can find no mention of the pinion gear threads being left-handed.

The only left handed threads mentioned in my service manual for the 8-3/4 are some bolts inside the case.

terrible one, I may try that method this weekend if nothing else is working.

Thanks.

Mick70RR

It's a right hand thread. I use a large pair of stilsons to hold the yoke against the garage floor and use a long breaker bar on the nut.
1970 Road Runner, 505 cid, 4 speed, GV overdrive, 3.91 gears
11.98 @ 117 on street treads

Chris 69

Quote from: Mick70RR on June 26, 2009, 03:59:03 PM
It's a right hand thread. I use a large pair of stilsons to hold the yoke against the garage floor and use a long breaker bar on the nut.

Thanks. I'll try that after work tonight. I have never heard of "stilsons" is that a pipe wrench?

Mick70RR

1970 Road Runner, 505 cid, 4 speed, GV overdrive, 3.91 gears
11.98 @ 117 on street treads

TylerCharger69

An impact air gun is what I used....and it is standard right handed thread

Chris 69

Finally removed the nut this afternoon. I used the pipe wrench on the yoke, a breaker bar on the nut, and my foot to push the breaker bar; and it worked! The seal has also been removed.

Now, it's time to try to remove the sheared bolt from the yoke.

Thanks for all of the help.

Chris

ACUDANUT

I know this is late but in the future, use a 1/2 inch impact gun. :Twocents:

Chris 69

Quote from: ACUDANUT on June 28, 2009, 01:01:12 AM
I know this is late but in the future, use a 1/2 inch impact gun. :Twocents:

Unfortunately, I do not own an impact gun. However, it is now on my long list of wanted tools (along with a compressor+air tank).

Thanks!

mopar0166

Yeah im doing the same right now and the impact gun did nothng

maxwellwedge

Beware that you may have othe newer problems as I believe those 8-3/4's used a crush sleeve and if you are lucky everything may be ok .....if your not lucky.....

Dana's do not use this method and removing and re-installing the yoke on them is ok as long as the torque is correct.

cdr

Quote from: maxwellwedge on June 26, 2013, 10:24:47 AM
Beware that you may have othe newer problems as I believe those 8-3/4's used a crush sleeve and if you are lucky everything may be ok .....if your not lucky.....

Dana's do not use this method and removing and re-installing the yoke on them is ok as long as the torque is correct.

no the 742 does NOT have a crush sleeve!!! so no problem there ,it is like a dana
LINK TO MY STORY http://www.onallcylinders.com/2015/11/16/ride-shares-charlie-keel-battles-cancer-ms-to-build-brilliant-1968-dodge-charger/  

68 Charger 512 cid,9.7to1,Hilborn EFI,Home ported 440 source heads,small hyd roller cam,COLD A/C ,,a518 trans,Dana 60 ,4.10 gear,10.93 et,4100lbs on street tires full exhaust daily driver
Charger55 by Charlie Keel, on Flickr

maxwellwedge

Ok - That's a good thing then.... :2thumbs:

chargerbr549

One thing to check after you get it back together is make sure the axle vent is not plugged if its plugged it will have a tendency to push oil out the seals. The way I check the vent is to take out the oil fill plug and use like an old rubber fuel line with a rag wrapped around it so you can seal the fill hole and blow into it, you should be able to blow air into the housing and hear it coming out the vent, if it tends to blow back in your face the vent is most likely plugged.

fy469rtse

Chris I'm more concerned that you should have checked for play or wear in the pinion bearings, almost always the cause of a seal going bad, if you get the factory manual for tension settings read it a couple times over then ask the guys here again to explain , not a straight forward tension to nut , I had a good friend of mine to show me and help, once shown I got it, read the manual, the nut is done up according pre load on the bearing