News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Hey 3rd Gen owners

Started by AKcharger, November 17, 2005, 07:19:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AKcharger

I noticed when I drive my ’72 the steering wheel actually hits my legs when I get in and out…is this normal? I’m far from fat and bench seat and steering colum are original and standard…I did replace seat tracks but they look normal, not too tall or anyhting.

Anyone have this problem. I would take a picture but camera is on the fritz

Thanks

1970 FE5 RR

I have the same problem when I get out of my 74. :yesnod:  I am 6'5, I guess that may be at least one problem.
1970 Road Runner: 383 H.P
1971 Dodge Charger SE  440 H.P
1974 Charger SE    FOR SALE!

Dans 68

I posted this photo on the old board in response to the same general question. Here is a photo of my brother-in-law (6'-7", 300 lbs) behind the wheel of my '73. Looks tight to me.  :eek: Just the way they are built.

Dan
1973 SE 400 727  1 of 19,645                                        1968 383 4bbl 4spds  2 of 259

BigBlockSam

i'm tight in  b bodies with bench seats but ok in ones with bucket seats. Rene
I won't be wronged, I wont be Insulted and I wont be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to others, and I require the same from them.

[IMG]http://i45.tinypic.com/347b5v5.jpg[/img

Brock Samson

that's where a tough wheel comes in handy!   ;)

sorry make that a tuff wheel..

'CUDA360

Yup

'CUDAS too
I like it though, gives you that gokart feel

(and 'CUDAs have less headroom)

haueter66

Yeah Ive noticed things are tight in my 71...

AKcharger

Hmm OK thanks guys, I feel better...I noticed a real diffrece when I switched from the 70 buckets to the 72 bench.
Hey 360 do you have a bench seat in your Cuda?? I know that was an ultra rare option

SirNik73

Its the way the bench seat sits. in my dads 73 challenger i got about 4 inches between my legs and the wheel and in my 73 charger they hit.
1973 Charger SE
1973 Charger Parts car
1968 Couger... got this one for free! and it looks like it was free :)
1983 Toyota Tercel 4x4 Daily Driver
1984 Mercedes-Benz 300SD

'CUDA360

Quote from: AKcharger on November 17, 2005, 11:03:44 PM
Hmm OK thanks guys, I feel better...I noticed a real diffrece when I switched from the 70 buckets to the 72 bench.
Hey 360 do you have a bench seat in your Cuda?? I know that was an ultra rare option

Nope, but still I hit my head every once in a while. When I get my '74 Charger I will do some measuring but I bet there is at least a 2 inch difference in headroom between E and B bodies.

Nupe

:yesnod:  I'm 6'1" and the stock wheel was hitting me.  Nailed myself good a couple times getting in the car also.  Switched to a Tuff wheel and now it is fine.  I actually like the looks of the stock wheel better, but man that thing is big and is too thin on the rim.   :icon_smile_blackeye:

'79 Lil'Red Express.

AKcharger

Wonder when their going to start making new Tuff Wheels?

'CUDA360

I did a Grant GT Tuffwheel clone
It turned out OK but it wouldn't fool any mopar fans

I will probably do the same with the Charger I'm getting, no money for fancy steering wheels right now

TruckDriver

Quote from: AKcharger on November 19, 2005, 01:41:18 PM
Wonder when their going to start making new Tuff Wheels?

This place restores them. Pricey though. But they redo them with leather and they both style of stiching. I plan on haveing them do mine next year.

http://tuffwheelrestoration.com/

PETE

My Dad taught me about TIME TRAVEL.
"If you don't straighten up, I'm going to knock you into the middle of next week!" :P

twilt

funny you mention it. i smacked the crap out of my knees tonight hopping into the car i bought from Stormhammer. (not driving it yet, just having the fellas at work push it inside for the night ;))

SirNik73

is there a place to get the tuff wheel center cap? i got a wheel out of a challenger, but no center cap. and i haven't been able to find one.
1973 Charger SE
1973 Charger Parts car
1968 Couger... got this one for free! and it looks like it was free :)
1983 Toyota Tercel 4x4 Daily Driver
1984 Mercedes-Benz 300SD

Nupe

Highly unlikely SirNik.  If someone eventually does repop one, I hope it is just the '71 style since they were a much nicer piece than the all plastic kind.  :icon_smile_cool:

'79 Lil'Red Express.

ScottW

Quote from: Nupe on November 20, 2005, 12:24:11 PM
Highly unlikely SirNik.   If someone eventually does repop one, I hope it is just the '71 style since they were a much nicer piece than the all plastic kind.   :icon_smile_cool:

Hey Nupe, The site referenced above www.tuffwheelrestoration.com is reproducing the '71 horn pad base. It doesn't look like they are reproducing the pad though.  :(

It doesn't seem like it will be that long before someone repops the whole thing. Those things are getting pretty pricey.
1971 Dodge Charger SE 383 Magnum
1974 Dodge Charger SE 360/4v Sunroof

Darkness

Hey the 72 Charger my dad has a steering wheel from an 85-86 Dodge Daytona that kind of looks like a modern version of a tuff steering wheel. I actually like the look better than the original.

Nupe

Thanks Scott!  They must be up for the pad next.  I just think the horn pad with an actual pad looks a lot classier than the plastic of years later.  :icon_smile_blackeye:

'79 Lil'Red Express.