News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Body work (Rusty Panels)

Started by SmashingPunkFan, July 05, 2009, 01:54:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Would you do your own body work?, or pay someone else to do it?

Yourself
17 (50%)
Someone else (Shop, individual, etc)
6 (17.6%)
Do the easy, pay for the hard
10 (29.4%)
Do the hard, pay for the easy
3 (8.8%)
Paint over it and go
2 (5.9%)

Total Members Voted: 34

SmashingPunkFan

How hard would you say it is to do your own bodywork? VS How hard is it to write, and pay the check for someone else to do it? lol  ;)

Seriously, is it something no amateur/beginner should try?
Tonight I'm Burning Star IV.
Projects:
1970 Dodge Charger SE (Main Project)
1973 Dodge Charger 400 cid. (Work in progress)
1988 Mustang 2.3 liter 4 cyl.

Looking for Seat tracks for bucket seats.

moparsons

I chose paint over it and go only because I have a cheap 4 door dart. But really I did some MINOR body work before I spray bombed it. If I had a charger, I would either pay someone or take some classes before I touched it.

suntech

I woted : do the easy, pay for the hard.

But......something that is easy to some, is hard to others!!
I will do all welding, and body panel swops myself, because that is something i can do, together with a couple of buddys, and leave final prepping and paint for the pros. (another buddy of mine). The way i see it, is that bodywork is mostly down to craftmanship, and can be done pretty much everywhere indoor, but prepping and paint needs a proper shop, with temperature and humidity control, and ofcause right equipment!!
Since we only live once, and all this is not just a dressed rehearsal, but the real thing............ Well, enjoy it!!!!

mikepmcs

I voted for do it yourself.  With some patience, some tools, and the passion to see it done right, you will prevail.  Also, you have the added benefit of some top notch auto body technicians/artists on this site to lead you in the right direction.  Guys like Brian(1hot68), Leon(hemi-hampton), Justin(corndog), there are many more, those are the 3 that immediately came to mind.  You are still a young man and who knows, you could turn into the next great body man. What have you got to lose?
I say give it a try and see if you have the metal(hee hee, get it) to git er dun. :2thumbs: :cheers:

All the research you need to prep the car and get it ready for the booth is on the internet and right here.

You'll need to get some basic tools and that will cost some cash but they will be yours to keep forever.
:popcrn:

Mike

Life isn't Father Knows Best anymore, it's a kick in the face on a saturday night with a steel toed grip kodiak work boot and a trip to the hospital all bloodied and bashed.....for reconstructive surgery. But, what doesn't kill us, makes us stronger, right?

ACUDANUT

I suck at body work. I let the pro's do it.  :Twocents:

knitz01

I have to doit myself, I can't afford someone else to do it. :rotz:

TylerCharger69

I chose myself for many reasons.  One, of course, is the cost to have it done. Two, you get more gratification from doing it yourself, not to mention bragging rights.  Three, how meticulous you want to be is all up to you.  Four....well a lot of body shops might sneak some bondo in there, which when putty is required, either polyester for finish work or some All Metal is better.....Plastic filler sucks.  I've seen many a person tell the body shop "no bondo" only to find out later on it was used.   Yeah.......I chose myself.

SmashingPunkFan

Okay, good vibes.  :cheers:

Hmm... I've never welded before, but there are plenty of places around me who can do it, little tinker shops
I need the lower rear quarter panels replaced, like below the side markers, and floor pans, and the trunk pan

Do you think it would be better to replace the whole quarter? or just sections?
And where the roof skin connects to the quarter, fixable?
Projects:

mikepmcs

I vote for replace the quarters cause it should take care of the issues you just asked about,  they are available from AMD.  My next question I guess is budget and intentions on resto.  Driver, show car, etc....
Life isn't Father Knows Best anymore, it's a kick in the face on a saturday night with a steel toed grip kodiak work boot and a trip to the hospital all bloodied and bashed.....for reconstructive surgery. But, what doesn't kill us, makes us stronger, right?

c00nhunterjoe

i am horrible at body work but for some reason i keep trying. i'm not a half bad painter though

Mike DC

The problem with backyard DIY bodywork is kind of like finding a good politician - if you're naturally qualified to do it, you're probably also gonna be more cautious about getting in over your head than the less-qualified people are.  So it seems like the least-qualified people are actually prone to doing more of it than the more qualified. 

SmashingPunkFan

Quote from: mikepmcs on July 05, 2009, 05:12:12 PM
I vote for replace the quarters cause it should take care of the issues you just asked about,  they are available from AMD.  My next question I guess is budget and intentions on resto.  Driver, show car, etc....

Budget: Pay check to pay check.
Resto: Daily driver (done nice, and thoroughly)

And do you think the deck filler needs to be replaced? or can it be patched?
And do the new quarters from AMD have the backside of the panel? look in the picture, it's section #2
Projects:

SmashingPunkFan

This too, roof skin? or can it be sanded out?
Inner skeleton is fine.
Projects:

sixty8charger

i got somewhat of the same issue on the roof skin.. "Rust-bubbles"  under my vinyl top.  in the interior i can see the rust but i have not seen any holes.  i can imagine replacing the entire skin would be a pain in the ass.. 
i will ask the same question. can this be sanded down and filled?...  or is it more cost effecient to replace the metal?
Jayson

HollyWoodCharger

I'm going to be doing alot of the work myself on mine......

I have 2 recomendations when starting a project like this...

(1) map out the project and decide everything that will be done step by step, this will save a lot of time and money.

(2) do alot of research yourself and especially buy a factory shop manual if your retaining a mostly stock restoration or repair, if your doing a custom build, map it out right down to the wheels, tires and lug nuts you want to use.

I'm still in the process of planning mine, work is scheduled to begin on mine by late august or early september.

superbirdtom

Quote from: SmashingPunkFan on July 05, 2009, 01:00:33 PM
Okay, good vibes.  :cheers:

Hmm... I've never welded before, but there are plenty of places around me who can do it, little tinker shops
I need the lower rear quarter panels replaced, like below the side markers, and floor pans, and the trunk pan

Do you think it would be better to replace the whole quarter? or just sections?
And where the roof skin connects to the quarter, fixable?

Loks like my charger.  you need full quarters and a roof skin and a lot more sheetmetal. but it will be like a new car when done.  big project!

mikepmcs

I agree, if that isn't surface rust and looks pretty thin, then I would go for a roof skin. 

Grind a piece of it and see if you have some good metal to work with under that rust first.  Hard to tell not being up close and personal.

Finn

The main part of the quarters might be hiding a lot more damage, which would help justify new AMD metal (and that is some nice stuff!). Before you go on a spending spree, Id take a DA sander over the entire car and wire brush any bondo you find to see what you're really working with before you start ordering metal. :Twocents:
1968 Dodge Charger 440, EFI, AirRide suspension
1970 Dodge Challenger RT/SE 383 magnum
1963 Plymouth Savoy 225 with a 3 on the tree.
2002 Dodge Ram 5.9L 360
2014 Dodge Dart 2.4L

Back N Black

Take a real close look at the car and write down what you think need to be repaired or replaced. Then figure what its going to cost in parts alone. How is the powertrain? does it run good?. these cars being 40 plus years old will take 20 grand just to make a half decent runner and about 40 plus grand to make it look real nice. Good luck with her and the key is to be patient.  :cheers:

Silver R/T

http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks

1968 silver/black/red striped R/T
My Charger is hybrid, it runs on gas and on tears of ricers
2001 Ram 2500 CTD
1993 Mazda MX-3 GS SE
1995 Ford Cobra SVT#2722

mopar73

I do my own work also.  Take your time and plan, plan, plan.  Take whatever your budjet is and increase it by half.

SmashingPunkFan

Quote from: Silver R/T on July 06, 2009, 07:55:26 PM
I do my own bodywork
Quote from: mopar73 on July 06, 2009, 10:11:32 PM
I do my own work also.  Take your time and plan, plan, plan.  Take whatever your budjet is and increase it by half.

Did you start with a Charger being your first car for body work?
And do you ever find it too difficult to perform what's needed? (so pay for it?)
Projects:

SmashingPunkFan

Does the metal from AMD line up correctly? or does it need to be worked in?
The body of my Charger is very straight, only has rust, so...
Projects:

The70RT

Replace what needs to be replaced and you won't have to do it again someday. If I was to start mine over I would have put on a roof and one full quarter. I did all my metal work and am pretty satisfied though. I don't think repro full quarters and roofs were available when I started anyway. My plan was to have it finished by a shop and still is but I had to start doing more myself since $$ is tighter now. I picked do the hard work, but getting the car really straight may be more of a challenge for me......time will tell.......or money.
<br /><br />Uploaded with ImageShack.us