News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Finally stopped raining and got some nice photos.

Started by dillon14, July 05, 2009, 05:27:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dillon14

Went to the car show today. 440 overheated on the way back. Ordered the Flow Kooler water pump and the Flexalite 1380 fan blade. Hope that will help. Stopped by the public landing and took some photos.

1970 Dodge Coronet R/T 426 Hemi 4-Speed 1 of 4
1969 Boss 429
1968 Shelby GT-500KR 4-Speed Convertible

mikepmcs

Car looks great, nice job!  I assume you have a shroud on the radiator as well.   :2thumbs:
Life isn't Father Knows Best anymore, it's a kick in the face on a saturday night with a steel toed grip kodiak work boot and a trip to the hospital all bloodied and bashed.....for reconstructive surgery. But, what doesn't kill us, makes us stronger, right?

dillon14

Quote from: mikepmcs on July 05, 2009, 05:31:12 PM
Car looks great, nice job!  I assume you have a shroud on the radiator as well.   :2thumbs:

No shroud. Would that make a big difference?

1969 Boss 429

mikepmcs

Is the car overheating at low speed or when it's at speed?  If it's overheating at low speeds then I would say the shroud would make a difference.  If it is overheating at cruising speed then I think there might be another issue.

Regardless, for proper cooling you will need a shroud.  Wait, light bulb just went on..... the fact that you have the nose on that car is definitely one of the reasons she is getting all hot and bothered.  There is no airflow there, so you need every advantage you can get here.

I think it's time for the aero gurus to chime in and make some recommendations.
Life isn't Father Knows Best anymore, it's a kick in the face on a saturday night with a steel toed grip kodiak work boot and a trip to the hospital all bloodied and bashed.....for reconstructive surgery. But, what doesn't kill us, makes us stronger, right?

ozziemoparnut

That is an awesome car love color combo & the wheels very well done  :2thumbs:

sucks on the cooling issue a good fan shroud wouldn't hurt it thats for sure  :Twocents:

FJ5WING

get yourself a shroud along with doing what you mentioned.  :2thumbs:

remember to keep the sun at your back for great pics with less shadowing.  :icon_smile_wink:
wingless now, but still around.

histoy

On another site I read about changing the water pump pulley to a 318 pulley.  It's suppose to be smaller in diameter so it will spin the water pump faster for improved cooling.  A friend of mine plans to do it to his 440 engine with over-heating problems.

dillon14

Here are the (2) things that I purchased to help with cooling. I have in the car now a 2949059 radiator which is a 1969 B-body, 26" for a 318ci with auto transmission and AC.

1969 Boss 429

GeneralLeeTESH

Have you thot of running a 1978 Chevy camper special truck radiator, which I use in the Duketona/ I had the car at the track yestetrday  n  it never went over 130 deg  F  even @ low speed and

i am running a HEMI in it with cast iron block/heads ! It has a 3 row core in it stock !

The TESH

talkiemopar

Here's what I've done with my bird to eliminate over heating problems - I have a 3 core factory radiator that I had re cored, ran a fan shroud, regular factory fan ( NOT a clutch fan) and a 160 thermostat.  Worked for me since '91'
Rick

tan top

Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

resq302

Correct me if I am wrong but didn't ALL 26" rads come with a shroud?

BTW - Excellent pics. Love to own a car like that.
Brian
1969 Dodge Charger (factory 4 speed, H code 383 engine,  AACA Senior winner, 2008 Concours d'Elegance participant, 2009 Concours d'Elegance award winner)
1970 Challenger Convert. factory #'s matching red inter. w/ white body.  318 car built 9/28/69 (AACA Senior winner)
1969 Plymough GTX convertible - original sheet metal, #'s matching drivetrain, T3 Honey Bronze, 1 of 701 produced, 1 of 362 with 440 4 bbl - auto

hemi68charger

Awesome looking car !!!!

Yes, you need to put a shroud on there. Also, you HAVE to get all the seals for that thing. I can't see from the photos, but looks to me you're missing a bunch of seals that channel the air in from the two lower openings and grille to the radiator. There's still debate on the faster the coolant is moving, the cooler your car will be. The coolant/water needs to stay in the radiator long enough to cool. If it moves TOO fast, the water doesn't have time to exchange its heat through the radiator. Direct drive fans I'm finding is a big plus. Also, if you're not going to be able to totally seal off the nose cone, you may want to put in a pusher fan on the front of the radiator. I'm having overheating problems too. I have changed out the thermostat to a 160 (maybe going to a 180 would have been better, but oh well). I'm hoping the thermostat that was in the car was sticking. Now, I have one in there I know all about. I'm running distilled water with Water Wetter and a water pump lubricant additive. I've got her all together and have run her in the garage and all seems to be fine, but I'll take her out today or tomorrow to check.

Good luck....
Troy
Troy
'69 Charger Daytona 440 auto 4.10 Dana ( now 426 HEMI )
'70 Superbird 426 Hemi auto: Lindsley Bonneville Salt Flat world record holder (220.2mph)
Houston Mopar Club Connection

dillon14

Quote from: hemi68charger on July 06, 2009, 07:26:00 AM
Awesome looking car !!!!

Yes, you need to put a shroud on there. Also, you HAVE to get all the seals for that thing. I can't see from the photos, but looks to me you're missing a bunch of seals that channel the air in from the two lower openings and grille to the radiator. There's still debate on the faster the coolant is moving, the cooler your car will be. The coolant/water needs to stay in the radiator long enough to cool. If it moves TOO fast, the water doesn't have time to exchange its heat through the radiator. Direct drive fans I'm finding is a big plus. Also, if you're not going to be able to totally seal off the nose cone, you may want to put in a pusher fan on the front of the radiator. I'm having overheating problems too. I have changed out the thermostat to a 160 (maybe going to a 180 would have been better, but oh well). I'm hoping the thermostat that was in the car was sticking. Now, I have one in there I know all about. I'm running distilled water with Water Wetter and a water pump lubricant additive. I've got her all together and have run her in the garage and all seems to be fine, but I'll take her out today or tomorrow to check.

Good luck....
Troy

Distilled water? I thought the antifreeze was a better coolant? Is that not so?

1969 Boss 429

Dave Kanofsky

Quote from: dillon14 on July 06, 2009, 07:45:49 AM

Distilled water? I thought the antifreeze was a better coolant? Is that not so?

Distilled water is better for heat transfer, but if you live anywhere that it might freeze you have to keep it protected.  And like Troy said, a water pump lube & Corrosion inhibitor is required.  
"God sent his Son into the world not to judge the world, but to save the world through him." John 3:17, NLT

Racers For Christ Chaplain (www.teamrfc.org)

dillon14

I noticed that my lower radiator hose does not have the steel coil in it. Would this cause overheating?

1969 Boss 429

charger500440

The shroud will certainly help. It made a big difference on my car, and mine does not have a nose like yours! Another trick that helped me was using a lower temperature thermostat. Mine is 165, versus 180 or higher which is more common. That helped as well. Being in Maine, freezing is obviously as big a concern as the heating problem. If not more so, I'd leave the anti-freeze as you have it...

Mike
1969 SE  383 Automatic
1969 500 440 Automatic

resq302

Quote from: dillon14 on July 06, 2009, 08:40:04 AM
I noticed that my lower radiator hose does not have the steel coil in it. Would this cause overheating?

Without the lower rad hose spring, there is a possibility of the hose collapsing and causing a significant flow restriction.  Im not saying that is the answer but it could be a possibility.  I also had an over heating issue on my charger two years ago.  Ive found that any small coolant leak seems to effect Mopars in a big way especially since my car came from the factory with a 22" rad and no shroud (no shroud for 383 big blocks with manual tranny and 22" rad in 69).  I ended up having some coolant seepage at the studs for the exhaust manifolds and I'm guessing it was causing the system to not maintaing a "closed" and constant pressure.  If you have pressure getting out somewhere, it will lower your boiling point of the coolant or water as more air is getting into the system.  Also, you may want to check your rad cap if it is the correct psi rating or even if it is good.
Brian
1969 Dodge Charger (factory 4 speed, H code 383 engine,  AACA Senior winner, 2008 Concours d'Elegance participant, 2009 Concours d'Elegance award winner)
1970 Challenger Convert. factory #'s matching red inter. w/ white body.  318 car built 9/28/69 (AACA Senior winner)
1969 Plymough GTX convertible - original sheet metal, #'s matching drivetrain, T3 Honey Bronze, 1 of 701 produced, 1 of 362 with 440 4 bbl - auto

dads_69

Wow, car looks beautiful.  :2thumbs: Good luck with overheating issue.

Mark
Hey, you can hate the game but don't hate the player.

Dave Kanofsky

BTW - that is a super sweet car.

Are you planning on A-pillar moldings?
"God sent his Son into the world not to judge the world, but to save the world through him." John 3:17, NLT

Racers For Christ Chaplain (www.teamrfc.org)

hotrod98

The overheating issue is my biggest concern with driving my clone once it's finished. We've had 100 degree temps here for the past two weeks and it's supposed to be as hot or hotter for the next several weeks. Not good for a car with obvious inherent overheating issues.
And, my car is black which makes it even worse.
I'm taking notes.

Normal is an illusion. What is normal for the spider is chaos for the fly.
Charles Addams

dillon14

The A-pillar mouldings are going on soon. Got the fiberglass ones so they will be black.

1969 Boss 429

moparstuart

Quote from: dillon14 on July 07, 2009, 05:24:26 AM
The A-pillar mouldings are going on soon. Got the fiberglass ones so they will be black.
erik nelson makes a very nice set of repo's you should think about buying them . Your car is so nice it really need the bright shiny ones . 
GO SELL CRAZY SOMEWHERE ELSE WE ARE ALL STOCKED UP HERE

BigBlockSam

Quoteerik nelson makes a very nice set of repo's you should think about buying them . Your car is so nice it really need the bright shiny ones .

:yesnod:  i agree your car is to nice for a pair of fiberglass ones  .you went this far with top quality stuff  , don't drop the ball now. i have a set of daytonalo's on my car . there very nice . Rene
I won't be wronged, I wont be Insulted and I wont be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to others, and I require the same from them.

[IMG]http://i45.tinypic.com/347b5v5.jpg[/img

dillon14

Quote from: BigBlockSam on July 07, 2009, 10:27:33 AM
Quoteerik nelson makes a very nice set of repo's you should think about buying them . Your car is so nice it really need the bright shiny ones .

:yesnod:  i agree your car is to nice for a pair of fiberglass ones  .you went this far with top quality stuff  , don't drop the ball now. i have a set of daytonalo's on my car . there very nice . Rene

What do they cost?

1969 Boss 429