News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

help on a few questions

Started by hewi, June 20, 2006, 05:02:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

hewi

G'day all.
Have a few questions for ya!

1. I have a standard 1969 318 spring special charger. What emblems should this car have? Should it have the standard charger name and charger emblem on the grille? Anything on the tailpan? Roof?

2. I currently have a 383 big block in my charger. How can I tell what my block come out of? I found some numbers on the block, can these help?

3. Was it standard for all 69 chargers to have the metal trim above the rear quarters (what are they called)?

4. What is the section called below the front window? Front pans? Can you buy rust repair sections for this area? Where from?

5. Have the woodgrain steering wheel. The larger brown rubber part that is wrapped around the entire wheel has the classic split in it. Can you purchase this part?

6. Apart from the outer trim and centre "I" piece is there any other part of the grille that is metal? How can I tell if my grille is a repo or the real deal? Should the part behind the "I" piece be black or silver? Is this part metal?

That's all I can think of for now  ;D

Any help with would be much appreciated. Not too many 69 dodge charger owners in New Zealand for me to have a yarn with  :'(
Cheers
Hewi

hewi

Sorry everyone. Have just read the site rules and have realised I put this in the wrong section (should of put it in the tech section).

Won't do it again  :-[

Shakey

Chryco Psycho

1 - not sure
2 - the casting#s can help but there may also be a vin # stamped just above the oil p an rail behind the right engine mount , there are also # under the dist in front of the right head that will help determine what it is from
3 - yes there is always trim at the bottom of the windows / top of the 1/4 , belt moldings
4 - cowl , not sure if there is a repro piece
5 - Doug Lepack / the steering wheel guy can make any steering wheel look new , not cheap though
6 - the only other metal parts are hidden supports behind the grille

hemigeno

Quote from: hewi on June 20, 2006, 05:02:42 AM
1. I have a standard 1969 318 spring special charger. What emblems should this car have? Should it have the standard charger name and charger emblem on the grille? Anything on the tailpan? Roof?

The emblems will be the same as on all other XP Chargers - Standard Charger script and arrowhead on the grille & tailpanel, standard Charger script on the sail panels.  The A41 Charger Spring Special w/ Vinyl Roof package consisted of:

Light Package
LH Outside remove chrome mirror
Hood Turn Signal Lights
Woodgrain Sports Steering Wheel
White or red Sidewall Tires
Vinyl Roof
Class III Wheel Covers

2. I currently have a 383 big block in my charger. How can I tell what my block come out of? I found some numbers on the block, can these help?

It totally depends on what year of 383 you have.  '67 and earlier 383s, as well as '68 LP 383's will have no clues to go by.  '68 HP and '69+ 383s will have at least a partial VIN.  You might get lucky, in that if you have a '69 model year 383 that was assembled before December of 1968 (or somewhere around there), there will be a full VIN stamping.  That will tell you what the body style of the car the motor was originally installed in.  Apart from that, the partial VIN stamping will only tell you what the model year of the car was, what assembly plant the car was made at, and what the sequential VIN is.  If it came from a plant that only made specific types of cars (e.g. Jefferson, which only made C-body cars), you might be able to rule out some types of cars, but you still couldn't say for certain what it was.  There is no record that I am aware of where you can cross-reference a VIN to what type of car it was.  Many plants made multiple body styles, and there is no particular rhyme or reason to their VIN sequences.  A station wagon VIN might follow a Hemicar.

Like Chryco said, there are some clues that you can get from the ID pad below the distributor.  That will tell you what model year your block was made for, the assembly date, and whether it was a 2- or 4-bbl 383 motor.  Whether it is an HP or not is really all you need to know, to be honest - and that is stamped on the ID pad by the distributor.

3. Was it standard for all 69 chargers to have the metal trim above the rear quarters (what are they called)?

Chryco is right - all Chargers had the belt moulding that was essentially at the bottom of the side windows, and connected to the driprail.  However, if you are referring to the chrome trim that went from the back corner of the quarter windows, around the sail panel and connecting with the rear window trim, that is a different story.  Your Spring Special Charger likely came with a Vinyl Roof.  All V-Roof cars will have that trim which is sort-of at the top of the Quarter Panel.  Technically, the quarter extends halfway up the C-pillar, but that detail isn't important here.  What I think you are asking about is probably the Vinyl Top trim, and only cars with Vinyl Tops would have it.  Your car may have had the V-top removed, and the roof painted to look like it didn't have it.  The trim could be left on there, or removed and the holes filled up.  To answer your question though, not all Chargers had Vinyl Tops, so not all Chargers have that trim.

4. What is the section called below the front window? Front pans? Can you buy rust repair sections for this area? Where from?

Yep, Chryco is right - that's the cowl.  No repair sections available that I know of.  Donor car time, usually.  Any '68-70 Charger will work, perhaps other B-bodies too, but I'm not the best guy to answer that question.

5. Have the woodgrain steering wheel. The larger brown rubber part that is wrapped around the entire wheel has the classic split in it. Can you purchase this part?

No repair parts available, and the guy Chryco mentioned (Doug Lepac) is probably the best in the business at fixing those wheels.

http://members.shaw.ca/stwheels/index.htm

Tell him you heard about him through DC.com too - wouldn't hurt.

6. Apart from the outer trim and centre "I" piece is there any other part of the grille that is metal? How can I tell if my grille is a repo or the real deal? Should the part behind the "I" piece be black or silver? Is this part metal?

Chryco is right - not much visible metal in the grille apart from the anodized aluminum trim.  I don't know if the repro grilles have been around long enough to have been passed around much.  There are part numbers molded into the plastic though that will confirm its originality, but I wouldn't be too worried.  It's probably an original.  The plastic behind the "I" piece should be argent silver, and it is indeed plastic and not metal.  If you need some pictures of grilles, that isn't a problem with this crew...

Hope this helps!!!

Geno

Blown70

Depending on how much of the cowl you need  I have a chopped up one sitting here.

Tom

hewi

Thanks for all the replies, it's much appreciated. Has helped a GREAT deal.
Cheers
Hewi