News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Anyone know where the equivalent 70 Charger is to this....

Started by ramairthree, July 07, 2009, 05:11:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ramairthree

I have decided to clone a Charger to a Daytona.
I think my easiest base for a nose and wing,
and may do the plug,
would be a 70 Charger.

I want something to cruise occasionally and hit the strip for some mid 12s or better action.
Basic external appearnce is the goal,
not 100% correct.

IMHO, this Road Runner would be the kind of thing to make that sort of Superbird clone out of.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&item=280366280220

A non-tubbed drag car with rear seat would be better, but if it was a 70 Charger at a good price I would go for it.

I am having trouble finding a good driver Charger or drag Charger for the conversion.

I can find:
Basket cases
Basket cases people want a ton of money for ("it needs a drivetrain, interior, floor pans, trunk pan, hood, roof work, frame rails, glass, and a dash, but it would be worth a lot if restored- I want XX,XXX K firm."
Real nice RTs and such I would not want to convert, they are too nice as is.

Where should I be looking for a
basic, good driver 70 or 69 Charger or
streetable drag car with a good drivetrain?

Thank you for any reccomendations.

kab69440

You will not find a decent driver that needs only a little work for next to nothing. They don't exist anymore. Your options are:
Buy the basket case and put the time, money into it.
Spend a small fortune on someone else's frustration by buying their project in pieces.
Spend a larger fortune on a complete, running older resto.
Any way you look at it, you're not going to get a Daytona clone done for less than about $40-60k and you will be very lucky to get the car itself for less than 25k. That's the way it is, sorry to be the bearer of bad news. If you didn't buy the car 20+ years ago, and you are not a multi-millionaire, you are out of luck.
Imagination was given to man to compensate him for what he is not;  a sense of humor to console him for what he is.      Francis Bacon

WANT TO BUY:
Looking for a CD by  'The Sub-Mersians'  entitled "Raw Love Songs From My Garage To Your Bedroom"

Also, any of the various surf-revival compilation albums this band has contributed to.
Thank you,    Kenny

Jesus drove a Honda. He wasn't proud of it, though...
John 12: 49     "...for I did not speak of my own Accord."

hotrod98

Even with the recession, I think the days of buying a nice 69 R/T SE for 5K like I did are over. I would never have turned mine into a Daytona clone if I had paid top dollar for the car to begin with. Here in the south you can still find decent 318 cars for around 10K, maybe a little less. But, they're still going to need some repairs such as trunk floors, lower quarters, etc. If you plan to have someone build you a decent clone, you're looking at spending 35 to 40K including car and parts. Less if you build it yourself.
An average estimate here at my shop for converting a customer's Charger into a Daytona clone including premium paint has been in the area of around 20K plus parts. It's a lot of long and tedious work.

Normal is an illusion. What is normal for the spider is chaos for the fly.
Charles Addams

moparstuart

look for someone elses project they are tired of , you may wait a while but thats your cheapest bet.
GO SELL CRAZY SOMEWHERE ELSE WE ARE ALL STOCKED UP HERE

Blown70

I always suggest you buy the best car for the money.  I also usually often buy a  running driving car.... meaning you know it has all the parts to move.  Projects often do become overwhelming and get shoved aside to be sold again.  I paid 15,000 for a running driving 318 A/C auto, fairly rust free 1.5 years ago.... 

69-70 I would look but you are doing work you can change the tail pannel in a 68.

There is a list of all the changes you need to do such as plug, nose, wing braces, wing washers, wing itself, supports for the nose, nose to radiator support.... HOW WELL of a job are you looking at doing in a change over?

you usually want a 70 set of fenders, not easy to find and a 70 hood, classic body designs are supposed to be making new, as used are getting harder to come by

You want a 70 DRAG car I have one... for the right price its for sale and you can finish the way you want.  Chomemoly tube chassis.

TOM

Dave Kanofsky

Here's a great start - the back window is already done!

http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,59117.0.html

Please don't send the angry mob after me for suggesting cloning a Daytona from a 500.  It's just that the price on that car is WAY cheap!
"God sent his Son into the world not to judge the world, but to save the world through him." John 3:17, NLT

Racers For Christ Chaplain (www.teamrfc.org)

moparstuart

Quote from: Dave Kanofsky on July 08, 2009, 12:03:14 AM
Here's a great start - the back window is already done!

http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,59117.0.html

Please don't send the angry mob after me for suggesting cloning a Daytona from a 500.  It's just that the price on that car is WAY cheap!
riot  :nana:
GO SELL CRAZY SOMEWHERE ELSE WE ARE ALL STOCKED UP HERE

Dave Kanofsky

"God sent his Son into the world not to judge the world, but to save the world through him." John 3:17, NLT

Racers For Christ Chaplain (www.teamrfc.org)

BigBlockSam

I won't be wronged, I wont be Insulted and I wont be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to others, and I require the same from them.

[IMG]http://i45.tinypic.com/347b5v5.jpg[/img

hotrod98

If that 500 wasn't 14 hours away from me, I would be checking that one out myself.

Charles Addams

ramairthree

Thanks for the input.

It boils down to I need to just keep looking a little longer.

When all is said and done, it's not like I am looking for a Chevelle or 2nd gen camaro or other super numbers car, so the pool will be smaller.

I was just venting a little frustration with some I have found.  I do plan to buy a good driver or good, streetable drag car for the conversion. 

Thanks for the offer, but when I said drag car I did not mean a 10 second monster- I want streetable, not trailer.  Plus pump fuel is expensive enough, needs to run off that and no race fuel.  ;)

I am starting to see good canidates pop up as I look longer and further.  Nothing close yet.

But....
with all models there are always some dudes that don't get it-
the guy that knows a LS6 Chevelle is big money, so thinks his 350 malibu train wreck is worth a fortune
the guy that thinks becuase he spent 35K making his Lemans into a RamAir IV Judge, his "investment" should have increased the value by 35K or more
etc. etc,
for the most part though, most guys realize not every cutlass is a w30 442 and not every skylark a GS.

For some reason though, I am noticing lot higher percentage of Mopar guys seem to have confused the value of their basket case column shift 318 with what the minty R/T in the next town sold for.  At least that has been my impression. I am not expecting 3rd gen Charger pricing in a 69 or 70. 

I will also expand my search to 68s.  But, when all is said and done I hope to find a 70 since the front clip is already good to go.  Thanks for the 500 link.  That is a great price for a 500.  If it was close I would probably go get it.
But I don't even want to convert a good RT to a Daytona, much less do it to one of the 69 500s.

Blown70

I understand not wanting to do a converstion on a R/T but guess what as much at some people get upset by that, all of what you do can be reversed!

If you find the right R/T sorry but I say do it.... ITS Not like what happened to this........ :shruggy: :2thumbs:

Blown70

GO BUY LARRY's Daytona, its all ready for pain and finish  $24,000.......that will save you a TON in converstion time and $$$

Quote from: ramairthree on July 08, 2009, 05:44:22 PM
Thanks for the input.

It boils down to I need to just keep looking a little longer.

When all is said and done, it's not like I am looking for a Chevelle or 2nd gen camaro or other super numbers car, so the pool will be smaller.

I was just venting a little frustration with some I have found.  I do plan to buy a good driver or good, streetable drag car for the conversion. 

Thanks for the offer, but when I said drag car I did not mean a 10 second monster- I want streetable, not trailer.  Plus pump fuel is expensive enough, needs to run off that and no race fuel.  ;)

I am starting to see good canidates pop up as I look longer and further.  Nothing close yet.

But....
with all models there are always some dudes that don't get it-
the guy that knows a LS6 Chevelle is big money, so thinks his 350 malibu train wreck is worth a fortune
the guy that thinks becuase he spent 35K making his Lemans into a RamAir IV Judge, his "investment" should have increased the value by 35K or more
etc. etc,
for the most part though, most guys realize not every cutlass is a w30 442 and not every skylark a GS.

For some reason though, I am noticing lot higher percentage of Mopar guys seem to have confused the value of their basket case column shift 318 with what the minty R/T in the next town sold for.  At least that has been my impression. I am not expecting 3rd gen Charger pricing in a 69 or 70. 

I will also expand my search to 68s.  But, when all is said and done I hope to find a 70 since the front clip is already good to go.  Thanks for the 500 link.  That is a great price for a 500.  If it was close I would probably go get it.
But I don't even want to convert a good RT to a Daytona, much less do it to one of the 69 500s.

7dcharger

http://charlotte.craigslist.org/cto/1254929384.html

About a 2 hour drive from me. He's dropped the price from 10 down to 7.5

He says he has all the parts, bit more work than the Road Runner you posted above.

BigBlockSam

I won't be wronged, I wont be Insulted and I wont be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to others, and I require the same from them.

unrulyprocuda

ONE THING TO THINK ABOUT THAT MY FRIEND BROUGHT UP UNLESS YOUR DOING THE WORK YOURSELF YOU WILL PAY AN AVERAGE OF 50.00 PER HOUR THATS 2500.00 FOR 50 HOURS LABOR THAT ADDS UP FAST WHEN YOUR HAND FABBING WINDOW PLUGS ETC I AGREE YOU WILL PAY MORE UP FRONT FOR LARRYS DAYTONA BUT SAVE LATER ON LABOR COSTS BECAUSE MOST OF THE WORK IS DONE I WISH I WOULD HAVE SEEN THAT CAR BEFORE I SPENT MY MONEY ON A 70 CHARGER ITS ALMOST READY TO GO

ramairthree

Thanks for the input guys.
I have some limits to the range fan that don't give me all the options.
I do not have room in the garage for a project car.
I cannot have a non running car parked at my house.

This limits me to a running, at least somewhat driveable car.
The classic- a project you can drive while you work on it.

It will be baby steps.
Get a driveable car-
mount wing while still can drive
do nose and still can drive
get headlights working
pull wing and work on plug
do interior
paint
kick ass drivetrain,
wing back one,
etc.

nascarxx29

There are cars and deals still to be to found .I know people that been working on daytonas superbirds originals and clones.They had from back in the day . And yet no closer to being finished .From the time they bought it at this time .I just wait for that call.I know of a 69 RT charger rust free area car orig trunk a very straight car could use a paint job.It is a daytona clone just needing a drive train .And misc common repairs from sitting 20 +years back when it was made into a daytona.At one time it had real wing and backglass.But no longer does .But has repo stuff.I asked called and all I heard that it might just find its way to ebay someday..Which taking in account what you pay nowadays for a charger do all the metal work and paint.Im sure would amount to over $10K.I havent discussed price with the owner .But I think this car I seen many years ago and still in contact being worth in excess of $14K to $20K.And back in the early 80-swhen I had this replica.The other daytona was way nicer than the one I had
1969 R4 Daytona XX29L9B410772
1970 EV2 Superbird RM23UOA174597
1970 FY1 Superbird RM23UOA166242
1970 EV2 Superbird RM23VOA179697
1968 426 Road Runner RM21J8A134509
1970 Coronet RT WS23UOA224126
1970 Daytona Clone XP29GOG178701

nascarxx29

Seen this daytona clone in 85 .And still been staying in touch and keeping up with its progress since then.The other daytona clone was mine

ACUDANUT

Okay, Did I miss something. That 69 500 owner said it was sold to a oversea's buying.  Did the deal go sour ?

nascarxx29

nascarxx29

I know the guy with this charger .It could become a daytona clone

nascarxx29

Saw this on a another board not to bad looking a converted 70 charger :Twocents:

hotrod98

Those Weld wheels look pretty darn good on that car.
The six pack scoop doesn't look too bad either.

Charles Addams

Blown70

BigBlockSam

nice car ,those are the same wheels that are on my daytona. except his are clean  :D