News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Plastic gas Tank repair? Got it repaired today!

Started by 68coronetGLwannabe, June 02, 2009, 07:46:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

68coronetGLwannabe

Anyone have any Ideas how to patch a plastic fuel tank on a 91 dodge ram 1500? Chrysler is no longer making them and The junk yards laugh when I ask for one. :smilielol: Thanks
I pointed to two old drunks sitting across the bar from us and told my friend
"That's us in 10 years".
He said "That's a mirror, dip-shit!

268RTs4ME

Go to you local parts store or wally world,and buy a tube of Seal All, great stuff. Works well on tanks and is not very expensive. Read the tube and it will tell you how to apply, have used it numerious times, handy to keep around.

68coronetGLwannabe

Thanks. The problem is its cracked about 1 1/2 in. on the top and it wont hold pressure when it is emission tested (Arizona air quality laws). Chrysler is not making the tanks anymore and no one is remaking them. So The shop its at that found the leak tried to patch it, it slowed the leak but didn't stop it. A friend told me you can actually melt the crack together with a soldering iron? Anyone heard of that? Thanks
"That's us in 10 years".

r_biccum

A soldering iron (on and empty tank for safety) would work, so would plastic welding. There is a special gun (looks like a glue gun) that uses plastic sticks instead of glue sticks, works the same way, makes one darn nice repair though!
1969 Dodge Charger SE 383 727 #'s matching with original 8 track
1996 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4
2003 Hummer H2

FLG

Quote from: r_biccum on June 03, 2009, 02:53:21 PM
A soldering iron (on and empty tank for safety) would work, so would plastic welding. There is a special gun (looks like a glue gun) that uses plastic sticks instead of glue sticks, works the same way, makes one darn nice repair though!

IMO An empty tank is even more combustible then a full one. Fumes are more likely to ignite then the fuel itself.

68coronetGLwannabe

Got it fixed today. The shop it was at used a plastic radiator/gas tank repiar kit and got it to hold pressure. Thanks for your imput.  :2thumbs:
"That's us in 10 years".

2Gunz

Quote from: r_biccum on June 03, 2009, 02:53:21 PM

NEVER weld on an empty tank.

It would actually be safer completely filled with gasoline.

The recommended way is flushed and cleaned out and empty.
Then blown out so the fumes are gone.
And as welding have an inert gas pumped into it.

Chatt69chgr

I wonder what kind of plastic the tanks are made from?  The type of plastic would indicate the correct repair method if there is one.  Some plastics like high density polyethylene are resistant to just about any type of solvents or glues.  The HDPE can be fusion welded I think.  A not inexpensive solution would be to buy a new tank from one of the places that sells the higher capacity fuel tanks for retrofit.  My 2005 Dodge Ram has a 26 gallon plastic tank in it.  I have no intention of ever getting rid of the truck but I wonder what the parts situation will be down the road for it or for that matter my new 2009 Challenger.  I don't plan on getting rid of it either.  Heck of a note when you can buy a new gas tank for about any 60's car but not for a 91 Dodge Ram truck.

2Gunz

Even more funny is plastic will live forever.
Metal will not.