News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

am/fm radio

Started by twodko, May 13, 2009, 05:57:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

twodko

Hello all,

This is probably a long shot but I'm searching for a stock am/fm or am/fm stero radio for my 1969 Charger. I have a working am radio but I'd prefer to sawp it out for an am/fm unit. Any ideas? Thanks

Tom
FLY NAVY/Marine Corps or take the bus!

Chatt69chgr

You can find them for sale on EBAY occasionally for $600 up.  Why spend the $$ for a old radio like that that would have questionable reliability.  If your AM unit has a good physical appearance, ie, the chrome is nice, etc., you can have it upgraded internally with new guts so it will receive AM & FM plus have a MP3 plug.  Outwardly, it will look like a stock AM.  Of course, if you are doing some kind of numbers matching deal or whatever, then you might want to spend the bucks for a original AM/FM unit.  I belive the business in Huntsville, AL that had some originals for sale was Wards. 

twodko

Hey,

Thanks for your prompt reply. We just acquired this car from my best buddy who bought the car new. It is a numbers matching Charger R/T we've been pestering him to sell for years and we plan to restore/maintain it bone stock. There was another post here about a place in Minnasota that converts stock radios to am/fm mp3 while retaining the stock appearance. I've got an email to them and am awaiting their reply. This would be a luxury modification down the line. Drive train is tight and right...either rebuilt or new and the body is rust free and never wrecked. Minor rust at the rear window corners as expected but factory straight. Paint and upholstery is the first order of business anyway. My buddy had the dealer install an fm/8 track player bolted to the bottom edge of the dash left of the ash tray that works quite well. Its sure nostalgic but ugly hanging there. Yeah, I know.............picky, picky but we're mopar gearheads and that's how we are.

Tom

375instroke

Does anyone still listen to the radio?  Original AM/FMs sure are spendy for such a POS.  I'd keep the AM, install an amp/speakers, and plug in an iPod or something for the tunes.

Ghoste

I still listen to the radio but it's getting harder to find stations that want to primarily play music.

twodko

True enough. Having an original AM/FM tuner is a nostalgic option. There's better electronics out there. We'll probably go the amp/speakers/MP3 player direction. We already have a new 2 speaker package tray board so we're good there.
Tomorrow I spray my trunk after some painstaking sanding, grinding and surfacing. I'm using Eastwood rust encapsulator. It's worked well so far. Thanks

bull

Get a hold of Wards Radio and have them install an mp3 jack for $79, then you get yourself an mp3 player that has an FM radio for $100 and you've just saved yourself about $400. :2thumbs:

http://www.wardsclassiccarradiorepair.com/id17.html