News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Different rearhousings on the 727?

Started by Belgium R/T -68, July 16, 2009, 03:17:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Belgium R/T -68

Had my first real setback in my project today :'( After installing the engine and tranny I was busy with mounting all the small parts
on my new TCI tranny I bought when I shipped the GTX over to keep my old one as a spare plus that to rebuild a tranny overhere cost almost double as buying a new one in the US when I saw that the mountingholes for the bracket guiding the gearshifter was missing :brickwall:
Are there different castings on the tails of the 727 or what can be the reason? Can I use the tail from my old tranny and if yes, is it just to pull
it of the shaft backwards? :scratchchin:

Per
Charger -68 R/T 500 cui Stroker

John_Kunkel

They gave you a truck tailhousing, it doesn't have the double boss for the shifter support bracket.

Yes, you can simply replace it with the one from your old trans but it's not as easy as simply removing the bolts and pulling it off rearward, there is a snap ring located behind the small cover above the transmission mount.

Remove the two countersunk screws and the cover, expand the snap ring and pull the housing off; when replacing it be absolutely sure the snap ring snaps into place.
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

Belgium R/T -68

Thank you so very much for the good news :cheers: I will practise on my old one untill I "have the touch". :2thumbs:

Per

Belgium R/T -68

I have removed my old tailhouse and cleaned it up and expect the gaskets/seal I ordered to be here anytime. Now, I went
under the car today to check the access of bolts etc on the TCI tranny when I found out that the cover for the snapring is located
on the side of the housing instead of on the underside like on my old one, could it mean problems? :eek2:

Per

RD

no, truck tailshaft housings had them located on the side.  just a different casting design is all... the bearing in which the snap ring "snaps" into will work with either designs.
67 Plymouth Barracuda, 69 Plymouth Barracuda, 73 Charger SE, 75 D100, 80 Sno-Commander

Belgium R/T -68

b5blue

Sounds like TCI is due an nasty letter!  :rofl:

375instroke

There's also the gasket for the snap ring cover, and you may want a new bushing and seal for the slip yoke.

Belgium R/T -68

Quote from: 375instroke on August 03, 2009, 08:32:39 AM
There's also the gasket for the snap ring cover, and you may want a new bushing and seal for the slip yoke.

Do you mean the copperbushing at the end of the housing? How do you replace that one? :eek2:

Per

375instroke

If yours looks copper, it's probably worn.  I took mine to a trans shop to get a new one pressed on, and it cost about $10 or $12.  I believe it is babbit plated bronze, and if the babbit is worn, it would look copper.  They are pressed on and off.  Slide a slip yoke on the old one and see if there is play.  Compare how much it rocks up and down to the one on the new trans.

John_Kunkel

Brand new tail bushings can be bronze color or babbit color, depends on the manufacturer.
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

Belgium R/T -68

Problem solved, mounted today my old tailhousing and it went good. :2thumbs: Thanks again for the inputs. :cheers:

Per

mopar0166

I just ran into the same issue, but dont have a extra housing with the mounting holes for the floor shifter. 

is thier another shifter to use that will work with the truck rear housing or am I SOL   :brickwall: