News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Took the Daytona out for Houston cruise night..

Started by hemi68charger, August 29, 2009, 10:59:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hemi68charger

Hey gang.
Well, this was the first uneventful cruise in the new Daytona. Took her out once right after getting her and had major heating problems.. I believe that's all worked out, but still have a pesky ambient engine compartment heat issue. Ceramic coating the manifolds helped, but think it could be better. I starting to think the combustion chamber temps are too high and causing the manifolds to get "too" hot. I think it's the Edelbrock carb on it. I'm going to rebuild both the AVS 4618S I have and the six pack set up.... I think the six pack will go on board..  :icon_smile_big:

This is our NorthWest Houston cruise night. Took the pictures before it got too dark. Some really nice Mopars showed up later on, but didn't get pics of the '69 'Runner, gorgeous '68 and '71 Charger R/T's and a few other notable cars.. There was Scott in his R6 R/T and Alan in his '71 Ragtop Challenger. Starting to get those "Is that real?" questions...  :lol:

It was REAL cool driving her and wow !!!  that super high performance 4:10 Dana's a kick in the pants..

double  :icon_smile_big:

Troy
'69 Charger Daytona 440 auto 4.10 Dana ( now 426 HEMI )
'70 Superbird 426 Hemi auto: Lindsley Bonneville Salt Flat world record holder (220.2mph)
Houston Mopar Club Connection

FlatbackFanatic

Flatback Fanatic, Kurt  , MN

hotrod98

Troy, Is that the cruise-in on Spring-Cypress north of Champions Forest? I really hope to have a Superbird to drive down in by next summer.
As for the overheating, my runner has been running hot and vapor locking on hot days. It has an Edelbrock on it and everyone keeps telling me to get rid of it. The car just doesn't seem to have the power that it should either. I need to try something else.

Normal is an illusion. What is normal for the spider is chaos for the fly.
Charles Addams

dads_69

Troy, great photos, thanks. But that R6 '69 R/T next to your Daytona, wow! Thanks for making my night.

Mark
Hey, you can hate the game but don't hate the player.

1969chargerrtse

Beautiful car.  Love the red 69 also.  Them be one set of long hood pin cables.
This car was sold many years ago to somebody in Wisconsin. I now am retired and living in Florida.

hemi68charger

Quote from: hotrod98 on August 29, 2009, 11:57:12 PM
As for the overheating, my runner has been running hot and vapor locking on hot days. It has an Edelbrock on it and everyone keeps telling me to get rid of it. The car just doesn't seem to have the power that it should either. I need to try something else.

Yours too? The power is there for sure on my car, but when it's hot, in the engine compartment, I can feel it get sluggish and all. Then the idle starts to flutter. This is the first Edelbrock I've ever had and the first time I've ever had a car act this way in regards to heat. I still believe it's the carb. The engine coolant is no where near what it used to be after I changed out the thermostat and refilled with only distilled water and added water-wetter. But, the exhaust temperatures are sky-rocketed I do believe. Plugs don't look too white though, that's the confusing part and my timing isn't too advanced. I've come to the conclusion I'm changing the carb out sooner than later.

Troy
Troy
'70 Superbird 426 Hemi auto: Lindsley Bonneville Salt Flat world record holder (220.2mph)

Beep Beep Dave

Really sounds like it is running lean, that will cause all the problems you are having. I would start with some tuning on the carb that is on there now and get it running right before you start swapping out parts.
Dave
'69-1/2 SIXPACK/SIXBBL REGISTRY On-Line Registry for the Lift Off Hood cars!!!
Maple Leaf Mopars your Canadian Mopar site.

1970 Charger R/T

nascarxx29

I agree with Beep Beep Dave .I had one of my past owned superbirds turn the exhaust manifolds glowing cherry red.From being lean .But Id check everything from jets metering rods dist advance curve timing etc.But reading the plugs should tell you whats going on.
1969 R4 Daytona XX29L9B410772
1970 EV2 Superbird RM23UOA174597
1970 FY1 Superbird RM23UOA166242
1970 EV2 Superbird RM23VOA179697
1968 426 Road Runner RM21J8A134509
1970 Coronet RT WS23UOA224126
1970 Daytona Clone XP29GOG178701

maxwellwedge

I took Disco out for a shake-down rip last week - 440-4, 4.10 Auto, original carb, dead stock except for a slightly hotter cam and re-curved original single point distributor. That thing lit up for 100 feet - ran like a raped ape. The cars that drove by the other direction almost put their cars in the ditch - they must have though it was a UFO!  ;D

Charger-Bodie

68 Charger R/t white with black v/t and red tailstripe. 440 4 speed ,black interior
68 383 auto with a/c and power windows. Now 440 4 speed jj1 gold black interior .
My Charger is a hybrid car, it burns gas and rubber............

WINGR

That is one fine looking Daytona there Troy, who does that belong too? :icon_smile_question: :icon_smile_question: :icon_smile_question:

I really like the R6 R/T as well.

Very Nice man, you should be proud. :2thumbs:

WINGR/Steve

tyly

I have same problem in my six-pack bird. I check engine temperature with two different gauges, and engine temp is a normal, but exhaust and engineroom is very hot, even steering column comes very warm.
I chanced new plugs and I belive there is a problem,new plugs are too cold and not working, because its not a heating problems with old plugs.

Plymouth Superbird 440 six-pack, 4-speed, 15000 miles
Dodge Charger -70 RT/SE Hemi
Dodge Challenger convertible -70 6.4 SRT HEMI

http://tyly.kuvat.fi/

hemi68charger

Quote from: tyly on August 30, 2009, 03:51:53 PM
I have same problem in my six-pack bird. I check engine temperature with two different gauges, and engine temp is a normal, but exhaust and engineroom is very hot, even steering column comes very warm.
I chanced new plugs and I belive there is a problem,new plugs are too cold and not working, because its not a heating problems with old plugs.

Do you live in the mountains? Elevation can play havoc on the fuel-air mixture. Since I'm in Houston, Texas, pretty much sea-level, I'm ruling that out for me..... I'll let you know what happens to mine when all said and done.......

Troy
Troy

hemi68charger

Quote from: hotrod98 on August 29, 2009, 11:57:12 PM
Troy, Is that the cruise-in on Spring-Cypress north of Champions Forest?

Yeap, sure is.......  :2thumbs:
Troy

Arnie Cunningham

Greetings All,

Provided the engine is built close to stock, the original carb will make a HUGE difference in the way the car performs.  When I took the mega-roadtrip in 06 in the Superbird, I had an Edelbrock carb on it.  It is a decent overall product but pales in comparison to the engineering of the original 4737S.  When we put the correct AVS back on, mileage improved, driveability improved and if felt like I added another 50 HP.  There are no substitutes for the correct factory parts.  Also, the addition of a repro vapor separator made a big difference - no more vapor locking.

Today, the car behaves better than I ever thought it could.  Yes the under-hood temps are shocking but that has more to do with the cooling limitations these cars always had.

I don't know if it matters but I blocked off the exhaust crossover passage in the intake as well.

Brennan R. Cook
Brennan R. Cook RM23U0A169492 EV2 Manual Black Buckets Armrest 14" Rallyes
Arnie Cunningham was the Plymouth obsessed youth in the novel/movie Christine.
Brcook.com contains the entire NASCAR shipping list of Superbirds sorted by VIN and a number of other pages dedicated to production information.

hemi68charger

Quote from: Arnie Cunningham on August 31, 2009, 01:00:10 AM

...Provided the engine is built close to stock, the original carb will make a HUGE difference in the way the car performs....

Brennan R. Cook

Hey Brennan....
Those are my plans, put everything back to as close as OEM. I'll either put the six pack set up I have that was on my C500 for years or the 4618S for now until I find a 4618SA.

Troy
Troy

tan top

Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

Arnie Cunningham

Greetings,

I forgot to mention that, if you block the exhaust crossover passages on the intake, you have to play around with the choke mechanism to get it right.  Without the hot exhaust flowing under the choke well, the factory choke opens too slowly and the car loads up.  We ended up using..... gasp..... a chevy choke coil to get the correct rate of opening.  Starting the car is now a: pump once to set the choke, start it, leave it affair.  Todd Kramer did all the work on my car and he really got it right.

Brennan R. Cook
Brennan R. Cook RM23U0A169492 EV2 Manual Black Buckets Armrest 14" Rallyes
Arnie Cunningham was the Plymouth obsessed youth in the novel/movie Christine.
Brcook.com contains the entire NASCAR shipping list of Superbirds sorted by VIN and a number of other pages dedicated to production information.

LoneStar Mopar

Great looking car! I live in the Houston area myself (Pearland) but have only been to the Niftee Fiftees cruise in once. With all of those Mopars showing up I might have to head out there again this fall.