News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Update on my Daytona clone.

Started by hotrod98, July 29, 2009, 04:57:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hotrod98

Managed to work on the clone a couple of days last week. I painted the wing and the deck lid.
I'm going to try to make wing washers as soon as we get back from the Super Summer Cruise in Branson. If I like the way that they turn out, I may make several sets and offer them for sale.
Before putting it back in storage, we decided to bolt the fenders and hood on to free up a little space in the body shop.
With all of these new Daytona clone projects popping up, I better get on the ball or these guys are going to have theirs ready before mine. The car is not a perfect car. It's not a show car by any means. The dash is a little worn and the engine compartment looks less than stellar. From the beginning, I wanted this car to be a "driver" quality build. I've resisted the urge to make it "perfect". I tend to not drive the nicer cars that I build.
I plan to do the nice resto on the Superbird clone instead and just leave this one a little nappy.
As soon as the black roadrunner is finished, I'll get back on the clone build full time. Should be around the first of the year...hopefully. 

Normal is an illusion. What is normal for the spider is chaos for the fly.
Charles Addams

hotrod98

Here's the black runner that's been keeping me from working on the clone like i should.

Charles Addams

Blown70

Man I love the BLACK (daytona and runner)!!! :drool5:

unrulyprocuda

they both look sweet cant wait to see how the wing washers turn out i may be interested ina set my self looks like the daytona clone is on the downward spiral. anxious to see more

Daytona R/T SE

moparstuart

Quote from: hotrod98 on July 29, 2009, 04:57:07 PM
Managed to work on the clone a couple of days last week. I painted the wing and the deck lid.
I'm going to try to make wing washers as soon as we get back from the Super Summer Cruise in Branson. If I like the way that they turn out, I may make several sets and offer them for sale.
Before putting it back in storage, we decided to bolt the fenders and hood on to free up a little space in the body shop.
With all of these new Daytona clone projects popping up, I better get on the ball or these guys are going to have theirs ready before mine. The car is not a perfect car. It's not a show car by any means. The dash is a little worn and the engine compartment looks less than stellar. From the beginning, I wanted this car to be a "driver" quality build. I've resisted the urge to make it "perfect". I tend to not drive the nicer cars that I build.
I plan to do the nice resto on the Superbird clone instead and just leave this one a little nappy.
As soon as the black roadrunner is finished, I'll get back on the clone build full time. Should be around the first of the year...hopefully.  
i can send you my set of washers if you want a 3D  patern , you will be installing them for me anyway and you have 1/2 my other daytona stuff all ready
GO SELL CRAZY SOMEWHERE ELSE WE ARE ALL STOCKED UP HERE

Howie

:drool5: Now I gotta get on the ball and get my  :brickwall: together.

richRTSE

Looks good Larry. :2thumbs:  I may have missed it in one of your other posts, but did you decide on a stripe color yet?

hotrod98

Quote from: richRTSE on July 29, 2009, 07:45:29 PM
Looks good Larry. :2thumbs:  I may have missed it in one of your other posts, but did you decide on a stripe color yet?

I'm thinking about leaving the stripe off altogether. Looks more sinister with all black and less like I'm trying to duplicate a Daytona. I've been looking at 18" black wheels. I can buy another mopar for what decent rims go for.

Stuart, Howie loaned me his fiberglass wing washers. I'm thinking about going 16 ga steel with the same basic dimensions only not stamped. The .090 aluminum ones that I made for the wingrunner work great. They were cheap since I just used some scrap aluminum that I had lying around. I probably spent about an hour laying them out, drilling and breaking them. I like cheap. Saves more money for other projects.

As for black...I hate it.  ;D

Charles Addams

hemi68charger

Lookin' Great Larry.... I could only image your black Daytona next to my orange Daytona.. The colors would match.. With that being said, you would have to paint the wing and stripe orange....   :eek2:
Troy
'69 Charger Daytona 440 auto 4.10 Dana ( now 426 HEMI )
'70 Superbird 426 Hemi auto: Lindsley Bonneville Salt Flat world record holder (220.2mph)
Houston Mopar Club Connection

moparstuart

Quote from: hotrod98 on July 29, 2009, 09:07:17 PM
Quote from: richRTSE on July 29, 2009, 07:45:29 PM

I'm thinking about leaving the stripe off altogether. Looks more sinister with all black and less like I'm trying to duplicate a Daytona. I've been looking at 18" black wheels. I can buy another mopar for what decent rims go for.

Stuart, Howie loaned me his fiberglass wing washers. I'm thinking about going 16 ga steel with the same basic dimensions only not stamped. The .090 aluminum ones that I made for the wingrunner work great. They were cheap since I just used some scrap aluminum that I had lying around. I probably spent about an hour laying them out, drilling and breaking them. I like cheap. Saves more money for other projects.

As for black...I hate it.  ;D
ok picture then

BigBlockSam

QuoteI'm thinking about going 16 ga steel with the same basic dimensions only not stamped.

sounds like the ones Daytonalo made for me . the car looks great Larry . Rene
I won't be wronged, I wont be Insulted and I wont be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to others, and I require the same from them.

[IMG]http://i45.tinypic.com/347b5v5.jpg[/img

A383Wing

I wish all of us with clones could get together with out cars for a couple of days....would be fun

BigBlockSam

QuoteI wish all of us with clones could get together with out cars for a couple of days....would be fun

:yesnod:  me too . lets see if  we can get something together for next year at a central location . not in 90 degree heat either .

here is a pic of my wing washers . i will paint them body color  . if i ever get the body painted . these are another part  that should be made of metal and not glass . Rene

I won't be wronged, I wont be Insulted and I wont be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to others, and I require the same from them.

[IMG]http://i45.tinypic.com/347b5v5.jpg[/img

moparstuart

Quote from: BigBlockSam on July 30, 2009, 11:45:14 AM
QuoteI wish all of us with clones could get together with out cars for a couple of days....would be fun

:yesnod:  me too . lets see if  we can get something together for next year at a central location . not in 90 degree heat either .

here is a pic of my wing washers . i will paint them body color  . if i ever get the body painted . these are another part  that should be made of metal and not glass . Rene

wow your look exactly like mine , only better installed   :smilielol: :smilielol: :smilielol: :smilielol:

oh and larry and I are meeting in branson missouri june 2010  , you guys should come also  :yesnod: :yesnod: :yesnod: :yesnod:

Blown70

Quote from: moparstuart on July 30, 2009, 11:54:03 AM

:yesnod:  me too . lets see if  we can get something together for next year at a central location . not in 90 degree heat either .

here is a pic of my wing washers . i will paint them body color  . if i ever get the body painted . these are another part  that should be made of metal and not glass . Rene

wow your look exactly like mine , only better installed   :smilielol: :smilielol: :smilielol: :smilielol:

oh and larry and I are meeting in branson missouri june 2010  , you guys should come also  :yesnod: :yesnod: :yesnod: :yesnod:

Where did you get yours from Stu?

moparstuart

Quote from: Blown70 on July 30, 2009, 02:55:04 PM
Quote from: moparstuart on July 30, 2009, 11:54:03 AM

Where did you get yours from Stu?
the same person rene got his from  LOL     damn you live in the frozen tundra

Blown70

Ic, thanks,,,, maybe Larry is up to making a few more....

Tom

moparstuart

Quote from: Blown70 on July 30, 2009, 02:59:46 PM

Tom
make larry roper (hotrod) make you some , He can handle it hey larry make tom some wing washers .

Blown70

Quote from: moparstuart on July 30, 2009, 03:02:20 PM
Quote from: Blown70 on July 30, 2009, 02:59:46 PM

Tom
make larry roper (hotrod) make you some , He can handle it hey larry make tom some wing washers .

hahah thanks, i will make sure he knows I am up for a set.....

hotrod98

That pretty much looks like what I was thinking about on the wing washers. I'll show the pic to the fab shop and loan them Howie's fiberglass versions as well. We're busy right now getting all of the cars ready to drive up to Branson next week so it will be a couple of weeks before I can find out anything.
I'm installing one of the new style Legendary headliners in the wingrunner. I hate installing headliners and I really don't look forward to installing the headliner into the Daytona. On the clone, I'll install the front and back glass after the headliner is in. It will be much easier that way.

Charles Addams

moparstuart

Quote from: hotrod98 on July 30, 2009, 11:30:19 PM
That pretty much looks like what I was thinking about on the wing washers. I'll show the pic to the fab shop and loan them Howie's fiberglass versions as well. We're busy right now getting all of the cars ready to drive up to Branson next week so it will be a couple of weeks before I can find out anything.
I'm installing one of the new style Legendary headliners in the wingrunner. I hate installing headliners and I really don't look forward to installing the headliner into the Daytona. On the clone, I'll install the front and back glass after the headliner is in. It will be much easier that way.

you can get good practice on your headliner so when it's time to install mine it will be perfect  :D