News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

New heads and cam???

Started by Tarzan, July 22, 2009, 06:45:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dstryr

This forum has been great for me, too.  I read all the stroker posts I could from here and other sites and built a parts list over the course of a couple years and Ron answered lots of questions as I was having my motor built, which increased my understanding and reassured me when I had doubts on the direction things were going.  Thank you!:cheers:  For a first timer having an engine built there were lots of things for me to learn.   I am very confident that when I get my motor in I'll be on cloud nine with its performance.  The price of new tires might have a way of offsetting that feeling, though! :icon_smile_cool:
dstryr, since 1986.

Bill of Rights
Must be 18. Void where prohibited. Not available in all states. Some restrictions apply.

Tarzan

Ron,
I have one last question. What kind of converter (stall speed) should I get?
The one I currently have is at 2000 rpm. Will that fit as well on the K56?
Does the stall speed I have work with the mopar purple cam that I have or is it too low?
I got an email from a guy who said that I should get a converter with 2600 stall and change the gears from 3.54:1 which it now is to 2.73:1 instead of getting new cam +++.

Also said that the car would go better even though it does not seem like it. + that I should think about maybe get a new carb instead of the holley 3310s that I have. I had Edelbrock before and it did not work at all. When I put the holley cab in the car it really changed and got alot more quicker and it kind of woke up. I am going to put the edelbrock ch4b intake in soon and that should also make a little difference.

Is this better? I did not really understand that this would help but you know these things.

Thanks again

firefighter3931

Kim, the K56 will work fine with your 2000 stall and 3.54 gears. Don't change the gears or stall....just swap in the cam. A looser (3500) converter with taller (2.73) gears will just cause problems and not be very fun to drive.

Not knowing what purple cam you have in the engine it's hard to say whether or not you have enough converter to make it work well. My guess is that you've got the 284/484 cam and it feels sluggish out of the hole until 2500 or so rpm ? That being the case, you don't have enough stall speed to make it work well....generally speaking that cam likes 2800 stall and 3.91 gears to really function well.  :yesnod:

The 3310 is OK for now....just try it with the CH4B and K56 cam. I like double pumpers and it will run stronger with a DP carb but for now just install the cam and intake manifold and see how you like it.  ;) Another important tuning item that often gets overlooked is the ignition.....there's usually lots of power to be found by simply dialing in the timing curve.

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

SeattleCharger

:popcrn:    hello, I think you might be going to big in the cam for the stall you have.  a k60 is too big I think?, probably pushing it with k58 already.  you aren't going to have any low end, that is not going to make stop light to stop light driving any fun,   even though the CH4B will help some, the cam isn't going to like much street use,  k60 will be for hp in higher rpm range.    For launching off the line, torque is required more than hp to get all that weight moving,  over camming it will lose fun off the line,  how often do you drive around and hit 5000 or 6000 rpms anyways with a big block 440?    you aren't drag racing really.  the low end will be where most of your fun is, and k56 or k58(big cam already) will still be strong in high rpm's when you want them, but don't ruin the low end, and stop light starts, just to get as big a cam as you can fit in there, you know?  

Why would you want anything else?  Just give me a Charger and I'll be happy.

Tarzan

Hey Ron.

I am sorry to bother you again but I need to know a couple of things before I order the cam.

Was about to order the k56 cam the other day but they told me at the store to think again about it.

They meant that the cam was not that big for my engine.

Also said that I could get the Lunati 60302 Voodoo Hyd Cam - Chrysler 361-440 Three Bolt 262/268 instead but is the lift too high since im running street and NOT strip.

What should I do? I want the max hp and torq that I can get but since I want/need the car to be streetable and at the same time have serious HP.

+ which Valve Locks and Valve Spring Retainers will fit?

I will wait with the heads till next year but thinking about buying soon since the currency is nice these days.

Should I get the 440 source stealth heads or the Edelbrock rpm heads? I know I have asked this question many times before but it the difference that big? If not I will go for the stealth heads. The stealth heads cost 1562 dollars and the Edelbrock rpm cost 2343 dollars here. No point to use over 781 dollars more if its the same.

Sorry again but this is the last time before I make up my mind.

SeattleCharger

K-58      :Twocents:    (I know, my name isn't Ron)  :slap:   

Why would you want anything else?  Just give me a Charger and I'll be happy.

Tarzan

Another question that I forgot.

How do I know that the cam that I already have wont be the same as the Engle K56 or the Lunati 60302? (Since I dont know which cam I have)

Maybe im just stupid but how do I know? How do I know that the cam is too big?