News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

72 Dash Question

Started by Foreman72, July 18, 2009, 07:28:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Foreman72

ok so do you see the trim rings around the gauges in the first picture?

how come some rallye dashes have them and some don't?

for example...mine (second picture) does not...

can i add them on or should i just get a new "woodgrain" dash panel that has them?

Eric "Foreman"

Previous: 1972 Dodge Charger
Current: 2002 Volvo S60

"The steps of a man are ordered by the LORD, and He delights in his way. Though he fall, he shall not be utterly cast down; For the LORD upholds him with His hand.
=Psalm 37:23-24=
"But store up for yourselves treasures in heaven..."
=Matthew 6:19-21=
:pat

jaak

I used a silver paint pen to put my accents on with....looks pretty good for a driver I think. I got the paint pen at
Wal-Mart in the section with all the crafts. It was around 4 bucks.

Jason

BROCK

To see the 71 - 74 Rallye cluster without the silver rings around the guages is in a word:  weird.
Maybe 1 or 2 got by at birth but......

I tried the silver paint pen & still have drips on my workbench to prove it.  I have recommended
the Silver Sharpee & all that have tried report great satisfaction in ease of application & results.

=============================================
Let your music be in transit to the world

NHCharger

Quote from: Foreman72 on July 18, 2009, 07:28:59 PM

for example...mine (second picture) does not...

Never seen one like that. Can you see any traces of silver paint once being there?
Maybe a previous owner didn't like them and sanded them off.
I had to touch up the ones in my 72. I had some argent silver paint for painting the front grille and used that. What others have suggested will work fine.
72 Charger- Base Model
68 Charger-R/T Clone
69 Charger Daytona clone- current moneypit
79 Lil Red Express - future moneypit
88 Ramcharger 4x4-moneypit in waiting
2014 RAM 2500HD Diesel

jaak

Quote from: BROCK on July 19, 2009, 02:03:56 AM
To see the 71 - 74 Rallye cluster without the silver rings around the guages is in a word:  weird.
Maybe 1 or 2 got by at birth but......

I tried the silver paint pen & still have drips on my workbench to prove it.  I have recommended
the Silver Sharpee & all that have tried report great satisfaction in ease of application & results.

Yep, that reminded me...I did use a silver sharper on the little rings around the light switch and wiper switch, they were just too small for the paint pen.

Jason

Foreman72

it looks like you guys who added/highlighted you trim rings did a really good job...did you tape it off somehow? or did you just roll it along the top of the gauge cup ridge? is there like a groove or something?

cuz i don't want it to come out looking like a 5th grade arts and crafts project :lol:
Eric "Foreman"

"The steps of a man are ordered by the LORD, and He delights in his way. Though he fall, he shall not be utterly cast down; For the LORD upholds him with His hand.

lisiecki1

I also used a silver paint pen for mine....there's a flat edge  around the ring, on mine atleast, and I just filled the entire flat area around the ring....no taping was required, just a vaguely steady hand.
Remember the average response time to a 911 call is over 4 minutes.

The average response time of a 357 magnum is 1400 FPS.

http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,52527.0.html

jaak

Quote from: lisiecki1 on July 19, 2009, 11:36:52 AM
I also used a silver paint pen for mine....there's a flat edge  around the ring, on mine atleast, and I just filled the entire flat area around the ring....no taping was required, just a vaguely steady hand.

:iagree: Thats exactly how I did it....no tape no masking, just follow the ridge.

Jason

Foreman72

Quote from: jaak on July 19, 2009, 01:08:37 PM

:iagree: Thats exactly how I did it....no tape no masking, just follow the ridge.

Jason

sweet city...alright...well, thats on my list of things to do then...thanks guys...

unless of course i come to find out its super rare... :icon_smile_big:
Eric "Foreman"

BROCK

http://wichargerguy.proboards.com/index.cgi?board=interiour&action=display&thread=1082&page=1

Check it out Foreman!  Everything but the actual woodgrain is covered in that thread!

=============================================
Let your music be in transit to the world

Bob

Quote from: jaak on July 19, 2009, 01:08:37 PM

Jason

Me too. No drips or runs. I even left the steering wheel on.

Foreman72

nice...thanks guys... :2thumbs:

brock, super super thread
Eric "Foreman"

tricky lugnuts

I repainted the silver "ring" around my dash gauges as well. They were all faded and patchy. I just used a tiny paintbrush with some cheapo bottle of silver paint from the crafts store. It really cleans up the look of an interior, in my opinion.

Also, not to make more work for you, but I noticed it appears that your AC/heater vents on the passenger side don't have the silver "ring" around them either either.

I repainted that side of my dash too, and if I'm not mistaken the rectangular woodgrain plastic piece should have its edges outlined in silver along with the openings for all of the vents? Although to do that piece you might want to remove it from the dash because of how close it is to the pad, etc. which makes it more of a pain, but again really cleans up the looks. And of course, don't forget your "Charger" script on that side of the dash. Don't want its silver looking all ratty by comparison with all the new silver!

Foreman72

yeah i planned on doing all the silver needed...whatever would have been done on a dash that came with the silver outlines...

Quote from: tricky lugnuts on July 22, 2009, 01:18:16 PM
And of course, don't forget your "Charger" script on that side of the dash. Don't want its silver looking all ratty by comparison with all the new silver!

i suppose i can just scribble over that with sharpie too right? :icon_smile_big:
Eric "Foreman"

Nacho-RT74

I made it with a Qtip and any silver paint around, carefully to not drop or run the paint... not perfect but I haven't seen a silver marker down here ever
Venezuelan RT 74 400 4bbl, 727, 8.75 3.23 open. Now stroked with 440 crank and 3.55 SG. Here is the History and how is actually: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,7603.0/all.html
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,25060.0.html

Foreman72

Quote from: Nacho-RT74 on July 22, 2009, 08:04:13 PM
I made it with a Qtip and any silver paint around

on the charger script plate?
Eric "Foreman"

Nacho-RT74

everywhere... ( edited the post )
Venezuelan RT 74 400 4bbl, 727, 8.75 3.23 open. Now stroked with 440 crank and 3.55 SG. Here is the History and how is actually: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,7603.0/all.html
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,25060.0.html