News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Ogranosol Black on Tail Panel

Started by TexasStroker, July 27, 2009, 12:42:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hemigeno

Here are some pics of a Daytona tailpanel, showing how the factory did the paint in '69.  Sorry that last picture is a little blurry - I had the camera set for a macro/detail shot, and that must slow the shutter speed down some.

The paint doesn't extend above the upper/side trim pieces either - that's where the factory paperwork shows the break point to be (directly underneath the trim).

TexasStroker

Thanks for the pics!  I guess since mine is incorrect at least the bumper covers most of it anyway, lol.  Again your shot seems to have that semi-gloss sheen that mine is severely lacking.  Hopefully I can play around the next couple of nights and work something out.

I guess I can add painting the tail panel correctly to my list of things to possibly do at some point, lol.

I'll be saving all these photos for reference...I certainly appreciate the insight.
Founder, Amarillo Area Mopars
www.amarilloareamopars.com
Founder, Lone Star Mopars
www.lonestarmopars.com
Will set-up a regional Charger meet
Contact me for info!

1969chargerrtse

Quote from: hemigeno on August 05, 2009, 11:23:19 AM
Here are some pics of a Daytona tailpanel, showing how the factory did the paint in '69.  Sorry that last picture is a little blurry - I had the camera set for a macro/detail shot, and that must slow the shutter speed down some.

The paint doesn't extend above the upper/side trim pieces either - that's where the factory paperwork shows the break point to be (directly underneath the trim).

Yeah stupid me, I followed the old paint lines for the corner pieces and didn't realize it went above the trim.  I had paint orange above the trim to correct it.
Mint car and pictures.  :drool5:
This car was sold many years ago to somebody in Wisconsin. I now am retired and living in Florida.

1969chargerrtse

Quote from: mopar0166 on August 05, 2009, 07:08:17 AM
Looks Great!   Im so gald you posted that pic, my car is orange as well and its good to see what a textured paint looks like back there!
My rear painting starts at about thread #377 on my restoratuion thread.  My rear panel and stripe were gloss and even though it looked nice, it had to go.You can see the grit in the finished pic.

http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,34954.0.html
This car was sold many years ago to somebody in Wisconsin. I now am retired and living in Florida.

Just 6T9 CHGR

The factory bulletin off my registry site....

Chris' '69 Charger R/T

TexasStroker

Man, turning into a pretty awesome thread, lo...Thanks for the bulletin post!  The link I cited when I searched the forum for this had the hamtrack tsb over "how to respray" but certainly did not have that detail!

In another twist of fate I got off work late, rush to cut the grass, beat sunset, about to leave the shop but I had to glance at the tail panel...and what do I see?

Orange paint UNDER the organosol/textured paint BELOW the lip  :brickwall:  In the very fine scratch that let it show thru it was apparent the car was painted in that manner...so close, lol.  I have to wonder why you would go to the trouble of spraying the black over the orange when the bumper would cover the area and they probably had the correct application as a guide when they dissassembled things...oh well.

I still think the organosol is factory, possibly sprayed over on the upper tail light panel because of the gasket adhesive and factory paint underneath...

Funny all the little things you learn when you are simply debating whether to leave something "as is," "restore," or in your mind "improve"  :yesnod:
www.lonestarmopars.com
Contact me for info!

TexasStroker

Well photobucket had issues the other night and I just got in from picking up the rest of the parts I am needing for the weekend so here is the "oh so close" pic...

If you pay close attention you'll see several scratches/dings/scuffs where the unmistakable orange is shining thru the organisol-esque job  :rotz:  This is BELOW the lip btw.  Go figure, lol.  I really don't mind it like it is and I'm not really wanting to undertake taking it all the way down to "correct" things (yet anyway). 

I hope to try my hand at recreating something similar to the organosol look to freshen things up this weekend.  Good or bad I'll post some shots of the finished product...But alas we are on to the "oh so close" shot:

www.lonestarmopars.com
Contact me for info!

TexasStroker

Well 2 AM and I'm fresh out of the shower and waiting for the sun to come up so I can get back to work...

I probably should have gone ahead and pulled the tape/papers for a better pic, but I guess it is something to look forward to doing.

I will say that I consider this an upgrade although it is not factory correct.  I hope it will look as good as some of the tail panels posted here when the rear is re-assembled (maybe tomorrow, wait later today  :lol:).  I held up one of the tail lights and it looked pretty good nestled in the fresh paint.  It was a different process and application, but I think it turned out pretty good.  I'll also get to install the Charger script and medallion that I've had for close to 10 years  ;)

Anywho, here is the run down:

One last shot of the current set-up:

Prep:

Paint after the process and with a dark shot:

With a little contrast from the trunk lid:

Like I said, hard to visualize without the tail lights, trim, and of course lack of body color contrasting everything.  I'll do my best to have some shots with the tape and paper off...finish assembled should I get the time.
www.lonestarmopars.com
Contact me for info!

TexasStroker

Got in at 130 tonight/this morning...If I get off at a decent time tomorrow I hope to have the car running, or at least have gas in the fuel cell.  But I digress, here is the tail panel with the tape/mask job off.  I know it is not the correct location etc, but I simply followed the lines left by those before me.  As for the color, I think it is very close to those posted in this thread I liked the looks of and the texture is about the same as well.  I'll get a final shot when the bumper, tail lights, and emblem are back on.

www.lonestarmopars.com
Contact me for info!

TexasStroker

oh, try and ignore the dangling weather strip  :lol:
www.lonestarmopars.com
Contact me for info!

Just 6T9 CHGR

Make sure to offset the seam of the trunk weatherstrip like the factory did ;)
Chris' '69 Charger R/T

TexasStroker

Isn't it 2" to the passenger side?  The weatherstrip I removed was NOT factory, lol...I have no clue where it came from, it was a "slip over the rail" not a glue to the lip type deal...pretty worried when I first opened the package up.  I've had it 9 years or so in anticipation of this moment, so I kind of have it hugging the rail to "uncoil" and hopefully make the install a little easier.

I'm also having a heck of a time finding pictures of trunk floor mats...none of the major vendors seem to include pictures of them on their sites?!  I would have thought the different patterns and colors would kind of merit that...oh well.

I did see one in a 68 Charger R/T thread on here, but that is about it....Lots of mention in threads, but didn't find any pics...I'll search again when I'm home tonight...better finish lunch up right now.

If anyone has a good pic or knows of a site that has pictures of the different options let me know!  I'm trying to decide whether to add one or not. 
www.lonestarmopars.com
Contact me for info!

TexasStroker

Wait, judging by your trunk pic I assume it is offset to the driver side, 1 1/2-2" range?!  Do you have a close up shot of the herringbone mat you went with?

I think I had old yearone/paddock catalogs that pictured them, but their sites don't.  Hopefully I'll find them tonight and decide if I want a mat or not and if so what style/color.
www.lonestarmopars.com
Contact me for info!

Just 6T9 CHGR

I made the mistake of being perfect with my weatherstrip & centered it....didnt know back then that it was "supposed" to be offset.  Its not much though IIRC 2-3" either way

The plaid mat would be correct for '69...either gray or tan.  The herringbone one would be more correct for a '70

I had the herringbone to be a little different but I am running the tan plaid now (hard to tell in the pic but it is tan)....
Chris' '69 Charger R/T

TexasStroker

Thanks!  I'll prob go 2" left or right based on how the weather strip rests better...

I was dead set against having a mat, but now I'm considering doing it...

I really wish there were detailed pics of the pattern/color as opposed to the "grainy" pics they all seem to have  :rotz:

Is anyone running the grey plaid from Dante's?

http://www.dantesparts.com/trunkmats.html
www.lonestarmopars.com
Contact me for info!

69chargerboy

Quote from: 1969chargerrtse on August 05, 2009, 06:12:41 AM
I used my paint from Mopaints that is textured and for the dash and steering column.  I thought it looked real nice.  It has very fine texture in it.  Cost about 85.00 for the pint, and I used about 5%.  Acrylic Lacquer.  May not be correct, but it worked for me.

I did the same to my tail panel. I think it looks great! A big difference than regular satin black paint, but is a bit pricey from MoPaints, well worth it....  :Twocents:
My MoPar Family:

1968 Chrysler 300 
1968 Coronet 440 4-Dr                                                              
1968 Coronet 440                                       
1969 Charger                                       
1973 Charger SE 
1988 Dodge Custom 150 Pickup

TexasStroker

Well since the thread is back going...

I ordered a grey plaid trunk mat Tuesday, hoping it comes in tomorrow or Saturday at the latest. 

Monday night I got the car running  :2thumbs:

It was awesome and a sense of euphoria surrounded me for a few hours...

But it was temporary  :'(  Since a friend primed the oil pump for me on Sunday (I don't have a shaft) I wanted to get it running ASAP.  I basically dunked an old 3/8" vent line off the Duster into a gas can and attempted to find a good ground with the POR15 coated underside...finally got the test light working at the lower shock mount...it was iffy, but got the pump going.  A little koolaid down the throat and a few cranks and she fired right up...Just shy of a three year hiatus!

But I had to undo the set-up and begin the wait for the trunk mat.  It would have been pointless to install the cell, plumb the cell into the new fuel system, add gas, run it a few days, and then pull everything out.  The cell is ready to install as a unit and I'll just have to cut out the mat for bolt holes and fuel lines once it gets in.

I intended to have the tail lights cleaned up and the bumper painted by now, but I haven't had the time.  Once the mat gets in I'll finish things out this weekend...Hopefully I'll have a shot of the tail panel as a finished unit so ple can't quit imagining what it might look like with the bumper, tail lights, and Charger script.

Once that is done I will go necropost the trunk floor thread with how it finished out and add the fuel system in somewhere.  Then I'll be gone driving...for a long time....

Hopefully  :coolgleamA:
www.lonestarmopars.com
Contact me for info!

mopar0166

finally got mine painted, used rustoelum textured black spray paint.

worked great and looks good.  ill have to take a pic this weekend.     :cheers:

TexasStroker

Quote from: mopar0166 on August 13, 2009, 02:25:28 PM
finally got mine painted, used rustoelum textured black spray paint.

worked great and looks good.  ill have to take a pic this weekend.     :cheers:

Cool...Can't wait to see it!
www.lonestarmopars.com
Contact me for info!

TexasStroker

Got this done Sunday, but just now getting to post it up.  This will let everyone see how the tail panel looks with all but the tail lights in place.  I was missing a few of the housing to lens screws and I'm waiting to get a chance to get them before installing the LH and RH sets back into place.  I'll updated it with a 100% finished picture when that happens!  I'll probably update the trunk floor thread with one giant "look its done" posting, lol
www.lonestarmopars.com
Contact me for info!

TexasStroker

Got the tail light housing screws yesterday and got just enough time in after work to put the tail lights together, get the gaskets on, and get the tail lights installed!  Naturally I had to wire everything up and see how it all looked after this down time...LH 2 is out, but aside from that very nice sight:

www.lonestarmopars.com
Contact me for info!