News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

SNIPING.....

Started by R2, November 15, 2005, 08:36:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wakko

Multi window is simply an easier way for someone to organize their desktop while they're bidding. 

I use AuctionSentry.com and have for years.  I absolutely love it for two reasons.  1) I don't have to babysit the computer and wait till the auction gets close to ending (especially since I work nights, when alot of auctions end) and 2)I'll win auctions on people that might have extended their high bid had they known I was going to outbid them.   I don't think it's dirty at all and I don't understand people's frustration.

Let's say I want a Gizmo that's opening bid of 10 bucks.  You want it too and bid your max of 20 bucks.  If I'm willing to pay 22 bucks and put in my bid, you might say...hmmm...I'll go 23 and now I've lost the item.  If I snipe, you don't have time to try to outbid me.  If you've already bid higher than I'm willing to go then you win anyway.  Best 10 dollar program I ever bought.
Ian

'69 Basketcase, bluetooth powered

Boynton 236 F&AM

Charger_Fan

Quote from: AKcharger on November 19, 2005, 09:59:12 AM
Guys help me out here - tell me the difference between normal Ebay "Proxy bidding"   and these special "Snipe Sites" and "multi-window stuff"
The problem with proxy bidding is that it leaves too much of a window open for someone to bump up the price of the part. Say that the bid for the manifolds started at $20 & you decided the absolute most you'd want to pay is $60. If you put your proxy bid in say 4 days before the end, some other guy can come along & keep bumping the bid up very near your $60 ceiling.
If you wait to bid until say the last half hour, there's less of a chance for someone to bump it up...wouldn't it be nice to have those manifolds for something like $30, after you bumped another bidder out in the last few minutes of an auction? ;)
If it's something I really want, I wait until the last 30 seconds or so & THEN enter my ceiling price. Quite often, I'll end up with the item for only a couple bucks more that the latest high bid.

I haven't tried a snipe site, mostly because I don't buy stuff that often.

Using 3 windows;
First of all, it won't work on dialup.  :eyes:
#1 window is open so you can hit refresh to watch the remaining time as it draws nearer to the end.
#2 window is open with your ceiling price entered, poised just one click away from making your bid.
#3 window is open in case your ceiling bid was outbid & you want to make a "throw caution to the wind...damn the torpedos" bid that tugs on your conscience for the next two weeks. :icon_smile_big:

The Aquamax...yes, this bike spent 2 nights underwater one weekend. (Not my doing), but it gained the name, and has since become pseudo-famous. :)

Charger_Fan

Quote from: GTX on November 17, 2005, 11:44:26 AM
By the way, I envy the guys in the East end of the country or the guys in California, the more densly populated areas of the country. There is always some other guy and some other town or some other boneyard to get your parts from. Try living out here in the West and being 500 miles from another major city. More guys trying to scrounge parts than there are cars. We are the ones who end up paying more than you other guys for parts just because there aren't any to be had around here anymore. Most guys around here guard their parts suppliers identities as tightly as they guard their daughters virginity.
:iagree: Living in Utah is hell. :yesnod:

The Aquamax...yes, this bike spent 2 nights underwater one weekend. (Not my doing), but it gained the name, and has since become pseudo-famous. :)

Lowprofile

Thats why I stay away from ebay.....It's not worth the trouble or aggravation to shop on there. I don't care how bad I need something. I'd rather buy a repo or spend the extra $$$$$ buying from someone NOT on ebay. Or , just go without.

Improvise, Adapt, Overcome.      Semper FI
"Its better to live one day as a Lion than a Lifetime as a Lamb".

"The final test of a leader is that he leaves behind him in other men the conviction and will to carry on."

Proud Owner of:
1970 Dodge Charger R/T
1993 Dodge Ram Charger
1998 Freightliner Classic XL

AKcharger

I got ya Charger Fan...I can see where your coming from

To tell you guys the truth I've had very good luck here and at MOPARS posting and responding to posts for parts. I've got about everything for my '72 and out of the 10-15 non-ebay mail purchases I haven't been ripped off yet.
In fact that "hypothetical" manifold came in Thursday. The BB pax side HP manifolds on Ebay ALWAYS went for at least $80...usually around $80-85...I got one with heat riser for $75

d72hemi

Quote from: CHARGER_FAN on November 19, 2005, 03:57:55 PM
Quote from: GTX on November 17, 2005, 11:44:26 AM
By the way, I envy the guys in the East end of the country or the guys in California, the more densly populated areas of the country. There is always some other guy and some other town or some other boneyard to get your parts from. Try living out here in the West and being 500 miles from another major city. More guys trying to scrounge parts than there are cars. We are the ones who end up paying more than you other guys for parts just because there aren't any to be had around here anymore. Most guys around here guard their parts suppliers identities as tightly as they guard their daughters virginity.
:iagree: Living in Utah is hell. :yesnod:

Utah is not that bad (for parts that is  ;) ) If you want me to tell you of the junkyards that I know of e-mail me (it is hard for me to get onto this site from where I am at). I see more 2nd gen and e-body stuff than I do for my 72. ian.randall@blab.centaf.af.mil

451-74Charger

I use Bidsnipe, havent lost an auction yet.....
Leave it set to a 2 second refresh, and BAM, winning bidder every time. !!!
better still, its FREE