News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

New leaf springs or rebuild originals?

Started by brianz426, October 26, 2009, 09:29:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

brianz426

I'm replacing all my brake lines and detailing the rearend housing on my '69 383 A/T Road Runner. My rear springs are sagging so I might as well do all of this at the same time. I noticed there is a big difference in some of the prices of new springs. Eaton , ESPO, any pluses or minuses to either brand? I'm reluctant to have originals rebuilt because I here some companies add a leaf. I'd prefer the stock look and ride height. What do you all think? Any other brands or suppliers to recommend.
Thanks

HPP

Well, springs do fatigue with time, so I'd vote for new ones. Espo and Eaton both have good reputations, but Espos are priced a little better.

The re-arch with add a leaf will not look obviously different than original and may only add 1-2 iches in ride height. However, prices can also be an issue as I've seen some companies charge as much for a re-arch as you can buy new springs. Shopping around pays off here.

68X426

Brian: you may want to consider leaving the originals out and going to a mono spring/CalTrac setup. As an upgrade, it has been awesome on my Hemi RR. Lots of info and opinions available here on the forum regarding CalTracs. :Twocents:

http://www.calvertracing.com/index.php

The 12 Scariest Words in the English Language:
We are Here from The Government and
We Want to Help You.

1968 Plymouth Road Runner, Hemi and much more
2013 Dodge Challenger RT, Hemi, Plum Crazy
2014 Ram 4x4 Hemi, Deep Cherry Pearl
1968 Dodge Charger, 318, not much else
1958 Dodge Pick Up, 383, loud
1966 Dodge Van, /6, slow

Mike DC

Re-arching without heat is a waste of money.  But if you get the re-arching done correctly then it'll work fine.

The MP replacement springs were shite for a while (sagged quickly) and I don't know whether they fixed them or not.

roger440

Depends if want a "correct" look or not. A monoleaf isn't going to look original.

Ive just rebuilt mine with new clamps, wear pads and zinc interliners. Come up really good. Painted the leaves too. Mine have sagged a bit, but i prefer it a bit lower so thats good too.
1969 Dodge Charger RT/SE
1970 Plymouth Roadrunner - SOLD
2017 HSV Maloo
2003 Holden SS Ute
1970 Triumph 2000 Estate, fitted Rover V8
1961 Standard Atlas
1980 Triumph Dolomite Sprint
1974 Triumph Stag
2003 Subaru Forester