News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

How much for paint?

Started by Dmichels, August 23, 2012, 09:30:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

69 OUR/TEA

It depends on what final outcome of finish you are looking to achieve.No other paint is in my vocabulary except PPG.Used Sherwilliam Williams years ago when it was Acme,was ok,but not even comparable to PPG,from their primers right up to their clear.NTM,sanding/buffing their clear,as well as the hold out,shine,depth,etc.
You get what you pay for case closed.There are other high end paints,Glas,Sikkens,Speis,etc,that I would use before Sherwinn.
All the cars I have done,all PPG,lasted for years and still going.No change in sight for me.
When you are restoring a car to a high caliber,don't skimp on the product.If it is to be cruise night/driver quality,and cost is a factor,then don't expect wine taste for six pack money.And don't be one of those guys that complains later and blame the body guy/painter about the job. :Twocents: :Twocents:

69 OUR/TEA

BTW,the B5,PPG Global basecoat, that I just did on the 69 R/T was $452.00 a gal x2,never mind the 2021 clear $237.00 gal x2,DCX 61 $108 quart x2 hardener,reducer,etc.NTM,the primers underneath it all.

Dmichels

I have been told $1200 for materials I am fine with that
68 440 4 speed 4.10

Patronus

A Charger only requires one gallon of paint..
'73 Cuda 340 5spd RMS
'69 Charger 383 "Luci"
'08 CRF 450r
'12.5 450SX FE

Silver R/T

If you use Deltron DBC base coat it will mix 1 to 1 so you'll have 2 sprayable gallons. Charger is a big car and it will require more than a gallon if you're doing jambs, engine bay, trunk...
http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks

1968 silver/black/red striped R/T
My Charger is hybrid, it runs on gas and on tears of ricers
2001 Ram 2500 CTD
1993 Mazda MX-3 GS SE
1995 Ford Cobra SVT#2722

hemi-hampton

Quote from: Patronus on September 02, 2012, 10:48:25 PM
A Charger only requires one gallon of paint..

If you read original first post he wants to spray engine compartment, under hood, under trunk, jambs, ect. All this will take more then 1 gallon. LEON.

Patronus

So with the mix of 1:1 and he buys 2 gallons, mixed that's 4 gallons. Sounds smrt to me.  :scratchchin:
'73 Cuda 340 5spd RMS
'69 Charger 383 "Luci"
'08 CRF 450r
'12.5 450SX FE

69 OUR/TEA

Quote from: Patronus on September 03, 2012, 12:50:18 PM
So with the mix of 1:1 and he buys 2 gallons, mixed that's 4 gallons. Sounds smrt to me.  :scratchchin:

Yes it does !!! He did'nt say if it were a vinyl top or not but either way,2 gallons of base is the way I'd go,especially a color like B5 blue.Alot of  trigger pulling of the gun when doing the inside of the trunk,and eng bay making sure you got it even and covered.The inside of the hood and trunk lid to making sure you got it uniform with all the inside stamped framework.Then the outside,its a big car,and if doing the roof,can consume alot,NTM,again making sure the coverage is good and uniform,metallic laid out ,etc.Then doing small loose parts,hood hinges,bolts,side marker bezels,front valance.And would be nice to have some extra of the same mix just in case of an unfortunate mishap during assembly,or accident down the road.

bill440rt

I agree. If JUST a quick respray on the outside without jambs, trunk, underhood, etc, then maybe a gallon might be enough on a vinyl top car. And no room for sanding & buffing it. Also depends on the mix ratio & color coverage. But normally, no. One gallon won't be enough paint.
You'd be surprised how much paint those little parts can eat up.  :yesnod:
"Strive for perfection in everything. Take the best that exists and make it better. If it doesn't exist, create it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough." Sir Henry Rolls Royce

Dmichels

No vinyl roof I figured a gallon and 1/2 for everything. THe WHOLE car needs paint I want red paint every where the factory sprayed it
Dave
68 440 4 speed 4.10

NHCharger

I'm in the same boat you are. I'm doing all the body work and having a pro squirt it for me. Only painting I'm doing is the hi build primer. It is tough to find a painter that will paint behind some else's work. This guy painted my 71 Charger six years ago. he's actually working by the hour for me. He's also letting me use his discount to buy all my paint supplies which is huge.
Is the 6k just for this guys labor?
72 Charger- Base Model
68 Charger-R/T Clone
69 Charger Daytona clone- current moneypit
79 Lil Red Express - future moneypit
88 Ramcharger 4x4-moneypit in waiting
2014 RAM 2500HD Diesel

Dmichels

6k was paint and labor I have been shopping around I think his price is fair THe bodywork is just about done
Dave
68 440 4 speed 4.10

Homerr

I'm reading 'Project Charger' and ran across the chapter last night where the author goes over quantities of paint, reducer, activator, etc.  Seemed like good info.  I'm thinking about doing a 2nd Charger after being without for 20 years, and the book has been decent overall and a good reminder of all the work involved.

http://www.amazon.com/Project-Charger-Step-By-Step-Restoration-ebook/dp/B008BG93EY/ref=dp_kinw_strp_1

JB400

Quote from: x73CHARGERx on August 23, 2012, 10:42:37 PM
I'm painting my 73 and I'm using dupli color from advanced auto parts and it's like 25 a quart for base and 25 for clear so I'm expecting to use 1.5 gallons of each so like 300 give or take. you might want to check out this store
www.thecoatingstore.com

I agree. Just pour it in the gun and go.  Recoat any time.  It's the cheapest way to practice.  That's what I'm going to do.  At least for practice.  Final job will be with the good stuff.

HeavyFuel

I took a bare body to my guy.

He stripped it, replaced the trunk floor center, rebuilt the rear valance corners, re-set one quarter, added subs and torque boxes, prepped, jambed (color change), used PPG products (Deltron) base/clear, cut and polished.

Vinyl top car.

The outside looks really nice.  Other areas like under the hood, etc, not as good, and I suspect that he didn't prep them very well (some of the paint is flaking  :RantExplode:)

Damages all in: $7,000.   Not bad.

But he had it for 6 years.  :eek2: