News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Lower Control Arm Color.

Started by hemi-hampton, August 22, 2009, 10:45:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lexxman

Hey,I`ve noticed the on some arm the sway bat mount is near the end and other is in the middle.I quess there are two different types?

resq302

Yes, the ones all the way on the ends towards the lower ball joint is up to 1969.  The ones with the mount for the sway bar located in more towards the center are 1970 and up.
Brian
1969 Dodge Charger (factory 4 speed, H code 383 engine,  AACA Senior winner, 2008 Concours d'Elegance participant, 2009 Concours d'Elegance award winner)
1970 Challenger Convert. factory #'s matching red inter. w/ white body.  318 car built 9/28/69 (AACA Senior winner)
1969 Plymough GTX convertible - original sheet metal, #'s matching drivetrain, T3 Honey Bronze, 1 of 701 produced, 1 of 362 with 440 4 bbl - auto

lexxman

Quote from: resq302 on February 25, 2011, 01:39:46 PM
Yes, the ones all the way on the ends towards the lower ball joint is up to 1969.  The ones with the mount for the sway bar located in more towards the center are 1970 and up.

Well you learn something new every day now don't ya. :yesnod:

lexxman

Bye the way.The part in the middle of the arm with the adjusting screw.Should that move freely?

pipeliner

Yes it will if you have the LCA out of the car but it shouldnt if you have any pressure on the torsion bars.

lexxman

Hey,there done! I just finished off the re-do on the lower arms.I had them zinc plated,its not 100% correct,but it looks good.

bull

Nice. :2thumbs: I probably wouldn't go that route myself but it'll look good for a while. What's with the yellow ends on those tabs?

lexxman

I'm not sure why.But I saw some pictures with the tabs dipped in yellow paint. I liked the way it looked . I got them plated for free,so its all go. My wife is wondering why I'm going through all this trouble for parts you wont see unless your under the car. like they say the devil is in the details.

resq302

The yellow paint that you saw was probably an inspection mark.  I have seen others orange and some a light blue.  They really were not dipped but had that color paint dabbed on and usually ended up with some small runs or brush marks.
Brian
1969 Dodge Charger (factory 4 speed, H code 383 engine,  AACA Senior winner, 2008 Concours d'Elegance participant, 2009 Concours d'Elegance award winner)
1970 Challenger Convert. factory #'s matching red inter. w/ white body.  318 car built 9/28/69 (AACA Senior winner)
1969 Plymough GTX convertible - original sheet metal, #'s matching drivetrain, T3 Honey Bronze, 1 of 701 produced, 1 of 362 with 440 4 bbl - auto

maxwellwedge

Never seen yellow - Maybe on some cars without sway bars or light duty suspension? Dunno

Orange and/or blue are on all my cars.

Sometimes they do look dipped.

Here is one car with an orange and a blue one.....about 1/2 way down the page.

http://www.moparaction.com/Article/GTX-CELLENT/GTX-CELLENT.html

resq302

Looking at the underside of the engine pic where they talk about the bell housing and clutch fork boot, looks like the starter has orange paint on it indicating that the starter would have been on when the engine was painted???  I thought they were installed after along with the engine accessories like fan and alternator. :scratchchin: :shruggy:
Brian

maxwellwedge

Quote from: resq302 on March 31, 2011, 11:31:59 AM
Looking at the underside of the engine pic where they talk about the bell housing and clutch fork boot, looks like the starter has orange paint on it indicating that the starter would have been on when the engine was painted???  I thought they were installed after along with the engine accessories like fan and alternator. :scratchchin: :shruggy:

That is correct - The Hemi Direct Drive Starters (66-69  4-speed only) were installed before the engine.....Hemi Engines only.

lexxman

I see , well I guess the amount of paint would have depended on how wet the brush was. :lol:
I see in the picture one side is blue the other yellowy(orange-ish). This is defiantly a learn as you go hobby.

ht4spd307

i know this is an old post but does that battery protector dry hard or is it like a wax

HeavyFuel

Quote from: resq302 on March 31, 2011, 06:54:50 AM
The yellow paint that you saw was probably an inspection mark.  I have seen others orange and some a light blue.  They really were not dipped but had that color paint dabbed on and usually ended up with some small runs or brush marks.

:yesnod:

Mine.....orange and red one side.....just orange on the other

HeavyFuel

The real Cosmoline works great...but is expensive.   I used it with nice results.  (various pics of mine attached)

From the website:

Cosmoline Rust-Veto 342 comes in the form of a medium-thick liquid (like corn syrup) which can be applied by brushing, dipping or spraying.  Once Cosmoline Rust-Veto 342 is applied (wet), the solvent in the solution will flash off (evaporate) and will yield a dry-to-the-touch, amber in color, translucent wax-like coating that will give you the long-term rust/corrosion protection you're looking for....even in the harshest, most corrosive of environments (marine environments, extreme humidity & weather, etc.)