News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Solid motor mounts

Started by Barfyspitz, August 18, 2018, 05:48:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Barfyspitz

Hi everyone! I think I may have broke a motor mount. After leaving the car show the other day, I got on it and when I arrived home I  noticed my fan shroud was shattered. I put it  gear and pushed on the gas and the motor moves... but no worse than it's ever moved since I  put the rubber mounts in back in 06.  The only reason I could explain it doing this without being a broken motor mount is that I put a new Griffin Radiator in it a few years back and it sat lower than the original. So maybe the fan shroud sits lower than normal?   I can't remember what brand of motor mounts I put in it (possibly from Mancini Racing), but does anyone have any suggestions or advice. I think it might be a good idea to put solid motor mounts in it since there's always been a wobble in the motor when it's warming up It's a 68 with a 400 block circa 1977. Thanks guys!

c00nhunterjoe

I run solid mounts. Fine for me. Others dont like the vibration but mine doesnt quite purr like a kitten to begin with.... best of both worlds is a modified stock mount with a bolt through it. Pretty sure there is a sticky thread on how to do it. Or you can pay the extra cash and buy them premade.

375instroke

I changed one, and it lasted a year.  Next one lasted a month.  I put some countersunk bolts and nuts through a new one per the sticky motor mount post.  Problem solved.  I have solid mounts in my racecar and don't notice them, but that's a different environment.

BIGBLCK11

WHITE AND RED 69

1969 Dodge Charger R/T
2016 Jeep Grand Cherokee 75th edition
1999 Jeep Grand Cherokee
1972 Plymouth Duster

c00nhunterjoe

Quote from: WHITE AND RED 69 on August 21, 2018, 02:13:52 PM
Add a torque strap.
I did that with stock mounts and broke the mount and the strap with the 4 speed.... lol.

Alaskan_TA

I buy solids & just use one on the driver side.

No more broken mounts & the passenger side is under compression so not likely to ever tear.

No strange vibrations at all.

dual fours

If you have a wobble on warm-up, if you use solid mounts then that should shake you some up on start up. I used solid mounts for maybe 10 years for street racing application. You get use to the vibration.    
1970 Dodge Charger SE, 383 Magnum, dual fours, Winter's shifter and racing transmission.

26 END
J25 L31 M21 M31 N85 R22
VX1 AO1 A31 A47 C16 C55
FK5 CRXA TX9 A15
E63 D32 XP29 NOG

XH29N0G

Quote from: Alaskan_TA on September 03, 2018, 10:39:21 AM

No more broken mounts & the passenger side is under compression so not likely to ever tear.

this is what I did
Who in their right mind would say

"The science should not stand in the way of this."? 

Science is just observation and hypothesis.  Policy stands in the way.........

Or maybe it protects us. 

I suppose it depends on the specific case.....

c00nhunterjoe

Quote from: Alaskan_TA on September 03, 2018, 10:39:21 AM

I initially did that but the solids sit higher then the stock rubbers so the engine had a distinct lean to the passenger side. Didnt like it and put both solids in. Saw no change in vibrations and honestly, no change from stock rubbers to solids.

Alaskan_TA

I have not noticed a height difference on mine, small block or big block.

The slots in the K-member mounts are slotted though, so you can loosen the nuts on the bottom of the mounts up to rotate the engine a few degrees if needed.

c00nhunterjoe

I tried all kinds of shifting to no avail. Put the rubbers in, or put the solids in. One or the other, not both. Sat crooked with them mixed.

Barfyspitz

Hi guys! The brake fluid on my 68 Charger with drum brakes is very old. I want to change it but have no idea how. Could someone give me any info on the process and type of fluid I need to use.  Thanks!

b5blue

Any fluid, just start with pass side rear then other rear. Pass side front is next, get me? (Hint buy the correct wrench for bleeding and make sure all 4 bleeders can loosen!) :2thumbs:

Mike DC