News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

GTO CRASH another classic bites the dust in minnesota

Started by moparstuart, September 16, 2009, 08:21:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

LoneStar Mopar

Ouch! People don't realize that these cars don't have the handling and braking of modern cars; some have to learn this the hard way.

Ghoste

Quote from: Brock Samson on September 16, 2009, 12:06:59 PM
these telephone poles are killers,.. shouldn't they be weakened at the base so a car hitting them sheers them off?..
I'm thinking there should be a spec. that some poles "give" to allow a auto through... Just thinking aloud here...  :scratchchin:

I took one out in my young stupid past and it definitely sheared off.  I slid sideways through that thing and snapped it like a twig.  It was my father's 73 Ranchero with a swapped in 351 Boss and I struck it just behind the driver's door.  The quarter panel of the box was a little (ahem) crumpled and my father "sold" the Ranchero to me just a few hours later.

PocketThunder

Quote from: Ghoste on September 16, 2009, 12:45:05 PM
Quote from: Brock Samson on September 16, 2009, 12:06:59 PM
these telephone poles are killers,.. shouldn't they be weakened at the base so a car hitting them sheers them off?..
I'm thinking there should be a spec. that some poles "give" to allow a auto through... Just thinking aloud here...  :scratchchin:

I took one out in my young stupid past and it definitely sheared off.  I slid sideways through that thing and snapped it like a twig.  It was my father's 73 Ranchero with a swapped in 351 Boss and I struck it just behind the driver's door.  The quarter panel of the box was a little (ahem) crumpled and my father "sold" the Ranchero to me just a few hours later.

:rofl:   :rofl:   :rofl:   "sold it to you"  I bet!   :lol:   :lol:  you break it you bought it son!   :yesnod:
"Liberalism is a disease that attacks one's ability to understand logic. Extreme manifestations include the willingness to continue down a path of self destruction, based solely on a delusional belief in a failed ideology."

Ghoste

Yeah, except his sales approach was a whoooooooole lot more agressive. (I recall a chair getting smashed in the kitchen)

Things are fine now 30 years later and I often tell him that it was his fault for sending a 16 year old out in a 351 Boss equipped car with all forward weight distribution.  My mother also likes to remind him of how he tried to jump a ditch with his fathers car when he was 19 or 20.  :nana:<- to my father :icon_smile_big:

LeadfootBob

Oh man.... Did that to a '66 Dart GT once, at least you get nice scars out of the deal!
Seeing lots of "soft" lamp posts and poles around here now, basically a thin lattice of steel rebar that folds over the top of the car when you hit it at speed.
Proud member of the jack stand racing team since 1999.
'70 Charger 500: "Bronson", some kind of hillbilly hot rod in progress.
'89 Chevy Caprice 9C1: "it's got a cop motor..."

Mike DC

ouch.  

The whole "thrown from the car" concept never ceases to amaze me.  I can't believe some of the openings these guys get flung through.  They're usually torn up but it amazes me that they don't get hurt a lot worse in that process.

It's also scary how often those older body shells get ripped off their frames in wrecks.  Look at the LR wheel here: 

If I was racing one of those things, I really don't think I would want the rollcage bars passing through the floors and welded to the frame.  IMO it looks like they would be better off just welding the cage bars to the general area of the frames, but doing unibody-style plating on the floors of the body shells for the attachment points.  

Road Dog

I think the lack of a pillar on these cars doesn't help.
If your wheels ain't spinn'n you ain't got no traction.

472 R/T SE

I seen that on moparts.  Except they said he didn't make it.

Charger-Bodie

Here are some pics of a 68 GTO in a similar situation.....Supposedly going over 100 mph. Its not bent up nearly as bad as that Judge though.

This happened a couple years ago , after a car show. It was about 8 miles from here.
68 Charger R/t white with black v/t and red tailstripe. 440 4 speed ,black interior
68 383 auto with a/c and power windows. Now 440 4 speed jj1 gold black interior .
My Charger is a hybrid car, it burns gas and rubber............

moparstuart

Quote from: 472 R/T SE on September 16, 2009, 03:32:06 PM
I seen that on moparts.  Except they said he didn't make it.
You never know i just got it as an email , who knows the real story .  Hey paul go check it out ?

GO SELL CRAZY SOMEWHERE ELSE WE ARE ALL STOCKED UP HERE

Landonsrt

Well at least he survived.  There goes the Judge! There goes the Judge!!! Everybody look out cause there goes that judge! :o

472 R/T SE

FWIW.  More reading if anyone wants to.

http://board.moparts.org/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=0&Number=5443410&page=0&fpart=3&vc=1

http://board.moparts.org/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=0&Number=5450870&page=0&fpart=1&vc=1

Quotehttp://forums.performanceyears.com/forums/showthread.php?t=608961

Shane

QuoteFrom the GTO site thread....

QuoteIt appears he was passing cars in a 35mph no passing zone when oncoming traffic forced him to swerve.... the wrong way. Witnesses said he was going at least 75mph...

35mph and that much damage is a stretch, I would bet the eyewitnesses are closer to the impact speed judging from the damage...
:shruggy:

mauve66

i think he was going the right way and since the car hit the pole a little off center, the car piroutted around the pole so its now facing the wrong way
he could of had an axle break and the car just turned into the pole, happens when you have high HP, sorry, forgot it was a poncho :nana: :nana:

i think he did it for the insurance money in this economy, nobody wanted to buy a poncho
Robert-Las Vegas, NV

NEEDS:
body work
paint - mauve and black
powder coat wheels - mauve and black
total wiring
PW
PDLKS
Tint
trim
engine - 520/540, eddy heads, 6pak
alignment

69bronzeT5

Like I said on Moparts, being a major GTO fan...that kicked me right in the balls. Seeing the crashed black '68 too made things even worse! :'( :rotz: :bawling:
Feature Editor for Mopar Connection Magazine
http://moparconnectionmagazine.com/

1969 Charger: T5 Copper 383 Automatic
1970 Challenger R/T: FC7 Plum Crazy 440 Automatic
1970 GTO: Black 400 Ram Air III 4-Speed
1971 Charger Super Bee: GY3 Citron Yella 440 4-Speed
1972 Charger: FE5 Red 360 Automatic
1973 Charger Rallye: FY1 Top Banana 440 Automatic
1973 Plymouth Road Runner: FE5 Red 440 Automatic
1973 Plymouth Duster: FC7 Plum Crazy 318 Automatic

mikesbbody

Yeah a kick in the balls is right! the 69 is my fav sad to see  :-\ I'm glad it wasnt the Charger though  :yesnod:

PocketThunder

Quote from: mauve66 on September 16, 2009, 07:54:22 PM
i think he was going the right way and since the car hit the pole a little off center, the car piroutted around the pole so its now facing the wrong way
he could of had an axle break and the car just turned into the pole, happens when you have high HP, sorry, forgot it was a poncho :nana: :nana:

i think he did it for the insurance money in this economy, nobody wanted to buy a poncho

If thats the case then there should be tire tracks in the grass.?..??
"Liberalism is a disease that attacks one's ability to understand logic. Extreme manifestations include the willingness to continue down a path of self destruction, based solely on a delusional belief in a failed ideology."

ZSmithersCharges

From another website.

"I work for the State Fair Police and the driver of the GTO died from the accident later on that night. They figured the car had a problem with the suspension and a tie rod end or something snapped and made the car take a hard left into a tree (taking the tree down) and then into the pole. That was what the witnesses said that happened."

Got this from http://www.bangshift.com/forum/index.php?topic=14896.30 Who got that from the GTO forums? Idk sounds official  :shruggy:

GPULLER

On the last page of that same site a person claiming to be the drivers cousin said this:

To all of you people making these HORRIBLE comment/remarks. Why don't you show some respect. My cousin happened to be the driver involved in this accident. Would you say such horrible things if it was your relative??? Think about how you would feel if the roles were reversed. No he is NOT dead, and sure as hell is lucky to be alive. He sustained MAJOR injuries that will plague him for life, so TRUST me he is paying dearly for this accident. He is also torn up about losing HIS, not DADDY'S beautiful car. To those of you that actually have a heart and have wished him well, I thank you. To the others, whom obviously do not value human life- YOU SHOULD BE ASHAMED!

Double :shruggy:

moparstuart

it is wild how these stories get out of hand ?  who knows what is truth or fiction .

ZSmithersCharges

Oh well, whatever the truth of the matter is I hope he's not dead and makes a full recovery.

FlatbackFanatic

:iagree: I've tried to find out about the accident, but can't find anything.
Flatback Fanatic, Kurt  , MN

451-74Charger

I had an rear arm tear out of a rusty framerail once, which hapend to make the car take an immediate right turn. I was lucky that there were no other cars around as it went up on 2 wheels and almost rolled when the driveshaft dug in hard.

I say that unless you really look at every square inch of these old cars, you dont know what corrosion, fatigue is lurking anywhere structural.

Heck, i love old cars, but..... I am supprised more aren't having major accidents, especially if people like HLPAG and others just paint over paper thin metal.

In England, the garage goes down the structural areas of the car with a pick like hammer and if it penetrates the metal, the car does not pass and cannot be driven on the road. They also check joints for play and rubber for splitting.

moparstuart

Quote from: 451-74Charger on September 18, 2009, 02:02:04 PM
I had an rear arm tear out of a rusty framerail once, which hapend to make the car take an immediate right turn. I was lucky that there were no other cars around as it went up on 2 wheels and almost rolled when the driveshaft dug in hard.

I say that unless you really look at every square inch of these old cars, you dont know what corrosion, fatigue is lurking anywhere structural.

Heck, i love old cars, but..... I am supprised more aren't having major accidents, especially if people like HLPAG and others just paint over paper thin metal.

In England, the garage goes down the structural areas of the car with a pick like hammer and if it penetrates the metal, the car does not pass and cannot be driven on the road. They also check joints for play and rubber for splitting.

I saw that on a english car program called wheeler dealer ( on HD theater channel )  they had rebuilt a suzuki samari and they got it inspected it was turned down for rust and they could only drive it on private land for fun .

dkn1997

Totaled but not destroyed.   less than a year ago.   
RECHRGED

ZSmithersCharges

Quote from: dkn1997 on September 19, 2009, 01:42:30 PM
Totaled but not destroyed.   less than a year ago.   

That yours? I would buy that right now  :yesnod: