News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Myth ,Urban ledgend or true...R/T emblem on Daytona?

Started by Charger-Bodie, September 23, 2009, 04:33:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Charger-Bodie

Is it true that some Daytona's slipped through with an R/T emblem on the tailpanel?
68 Charger R/t white with black v/t and red tailstripe. 440 4 speed ,black interior
68 383 auto with a/c and power windows. Now 440 4 speed jj1 gold black interior .
My Charger is a hybrid car, it burns gas and rubber............

ZSmithersCharges

Quote from: 1HotDaytona on September 23, 2009, 04:33:47 PM
Is it true that some Daytona's slipped through with an R/T emblem on the tailpanel?

I don't know as I wasn't alive then but I do happen to see a few Daytonas with R/T emblems on the back but they are probably clones  :shruggy:

moparstuart

heard of a couple , you never know with that great quality controll at creative   :smilielol: :smilielol:
 really hard to prove they can that way though  ?  without day one pictures  
GO SELL CRAZY SOMEWHERE ELSE WE ARE ALL STOCKED UP HERE

tan top

seen a unrestored in a magazine  , in T7 with a R/T on the tail light panel :yesnod:

will have to look for it , was in mopar muscle i think , car came out of a cvollection in texas & was owned or ordered new by a Vicar , i think  :scratchchin:
Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

ZSmithersCharges

What are you saying anyways?  Are you just pointing out that Daytonas are nothing more than an R/T with a nose cone and wing and that apparently the workers thought the same?  Cause we all knew that  :lol:

hemigeno

If the mistake was made it was Hamtramck's mistake and not Creative Industries'.  The A11 Daytona code was "supposed" to mean that R/T emblems were not used anywhere - even on the quarterpanels which was normally the case when a V88 (bumblebee stripe delete) code was used.

I've not seen any such cars in person, but have heard about a few and seen pictures of cars with this trait.  I've also heard of cars with suspicious-looking quarterpanel holes filled in, presumably where R/T emblems were inadvertently installed.  THOSE would have had to be removed because of the Daytona stripe, but the tailpanel was probably left alone since it didn't matter as much (plus working with Organosol is way tougher to start with).

Personally, I've wondered if there was a connection between accidental R/T emblems on the tailpanel and evidence of quarterpanel emblems having been removed, but I somehow seem to think that a few cars with quarterpanel holes had the "regular" Charger/arrowhead taipanel emblem.  Just a thought...

hemigeno

Charger-Bodie

Quote from: ZSmithersCharges on September 23, 2009, 04:58:52 PM
What are you saying anyways?  Are you just pointing out that Daytonas are nothing more than an R/T with a nose cone and wing and that apparently the workers thought the same?  Cause we all knew that  :lol:

Im building a clone and kinda want to put the R/T emblem there due to the fact that Im building the car from the only REAL R/T Ive ever owned.
68 Charger R/t white with black v/t and red tailstripe. 440 4 speed ,black interior
68 383 auto with a/c and power windows. Now 440 4 speed jj1 gold black interior .

hotrod98

Since I was going to go stripe-less, I was thinking about doing the same thing on my R/T SE Daytona clone.
Of course I didn't come up with the idea until right after I had finished welding up all of the R/T holes.

Normal is an illusion. What is normal for the spider is chaos for the fly.
Charles Addams

Brock Samson

wasn't there one in the group DAYTONA shot at the creative industries lot?.. I seem to remember a couple oddities in those two shots.

ZSmithersCharges

Quote from: 1HotDaytona on September 23, 2009, 05:06:48 PM

Im building a clone and kinda want to put the R/T emblem there due to the fact that Im building the car from the only REAL R/T Ive ever owned.

Oh just leave it on there your asking a group of people who know EVERYTHING about Mopars and even we don't know... so if not us who would?  Not to mention all of the factory irregularities on just regular models an R/T symbol was bound to have slipped on a Daytona, I say leave it on there  :Twocents:

Charger-Bodie

The thing is that Im trying to not stray very far from what an original Daytona could be. Therefor I would not want to do it if it werent something that was accepted as a true factory mistake. But, anyway it will have one.

1969chargerrtse

Quote from: ZSmithersCharges on September 23, 2009, 06:34:28 PM
Quote from: 1HotDaytona on September 23, 2009, 05:06:48 PM

Oh just leave it on there your asking a group of people who know EVERYTHING about Mopars and even we don't know... so if not us who would?  Not to mention all of the factory irregularities on just regular models an R/T symbol was bound to have slipped on a Daytona, I say leave it on there  :Twocents:
:iagree:

That's why I have standard 440 valve covers, over the same looking ones on ebay for a R/T car that were close to 500.00.  I've Never heard anyone notice the difference. :shruggy:
This car was sold many years ago to somebody in Wisconsin. I now am retired and living in Florida.

65post

I think the copper one that was-is at the Walter P. Chrysler museum had the R/T on the tail.I know I got a pic of it somewhere....
Previously owned Daytona XX29L9B423239 - f8 - white int. - power windows.

arrow

Ron Slob had one with the RT emblem on the tail panel  , think the car was some sort of copper color T5 maybe , he claimed it was that way sense new ??

Daytona R/T SE

My '69 R/T SE turned Daytona clone will retain it's R/T on the tail panel, and it's SE emblems on the sail panels...

Not to mention every other gadget/option I can throw at it...

69_500

Ah someone beat me to too it. The Ron Slobe car is one that comes to mind as having the R/T emblem on the tail panel, and it had it on there back in the 70's. Have some photo's here my dad shot of the car back in 1975 and it has the R/T emblem on the tail panel. The Daytona that is on display at the Chrysler Museum in Detroit also has the R/T emblem on the tail panel, not sure if its Ron's old car or not but both are bronze.

Side note here Gene, but we did look at one that didn't have any emblem on the back.  :shruggy:

maxwellwedge

People could have and did put stuff on their cars as early as day 2. Emblems, decals, upgraded trim, wheels etc. After a few years it would look original to the car.

Just Sayin'   :icon_smile_big:

The70RT

So for the purist it's gonna take an assembly line or showroom pic..... :scratchchin:
<br /><br />Uploaded with ImageShack.us

65post

Here is an old daytona from 1971.No tail emblems.Original? Like MAXWELLWEDGE said alot of these cars were modified very early on so who knows.
Previously owned Daytona XX29L9B423239 - f8 - white int. - power windows.

ZSmithersCharges

tan top

Quote from: Daytona Enthusiast on September 25, 2009, 01:56:10 AM

thats the one i remember reading about , i mentioned in my previous post  :yesnod: looks like i remembered the color wrong  :slap:

good find , thanks for posting  :2thumbs: :cheers:
Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

Hemidog

Hey, an R/T Daytona is way faster than a base Daytona!  :D

PocketThunder

Quote from: 65post on September 24, 2009, 09:51:58 PM
Here is an old daytona from 1971.No tail emblems.Original? Like MAXWELLWEDGE said alot of these cars were modified very early on so who knows.

Hey is that a vinyl top!?   :scope:
"Liberalism is a disease that attacks one's ability to understand logic. Extreme manifestations include the willingness to continue down a path of self destruction, based solely on a delusional belief in a failed ideology."

maxwellwedge

Might be painted - cant tell if those are mouldings or not.

hemigeno

Quote from: 69_500 on September 24, 2009, 03:53:01 PM
Side note here Gene, but we did look at one that didn't have any emblem on the back.  :shruggy:

Yep, I remembered that one, but it didn't say R/T (at least at the time).  That's only one of two reasons I didn't mention it.

69_500

There is also a photo from a race back in 1969 I think, showing the tail panel of a Daytona that is without any emblem on the tail panel.

nascarxx29

1969 R4 Daytona XX29L9B410772
1970 EV2 Superbird RM23UOA174597
1970 FY1 Superbird RM23UOA166242
1970 EV2 Superbird RM23VOA179697
1968 426 Road Runner RM21J8A134509
1970 Coronet RT WS23UOA224126
1970 Daytona Clone XP29GOG178701