News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Daytona / Superbird engine detail

Started by hemi68charger, October 10, 2009, 10:49:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

hemi68charger

Hey Gang..
Just noticed on 73TXRallye440Seems' thread on the low-mileage Daytona a small engine detail. My Daytona's missing this small clip,wrap or just tape holding the vacuum hoses together as they transverse along the inner driver's fender panel (white circle area)... What would this really be? Does anyone have detailed pictures of it? And finally, anyone know where you can get this if it is a clip and not simple tape?

Thanks..
Troy
Troy
'69 Charger Daytona 440 auto 4.10 Dana ( now 426 HEMI )
'70 Superbird 426 Hemi auto: Lindsley Bonneville Salt Flat world record holder (220.2mph)
Houston Mopar Club Connection

69_500

Troy I looked at photos' I have of 3 other unrestored Daytona's and the detail your talking about is on all 3 of them. However it is not the same on all 3. One car has simply two pieces of tape holding the hoses, the other has two pieces of tape around the hoses and then the plastic wire loom as well, and the 3rd car only has tape but this time it is in 3 sections.

I'm sure Gene will offer up a better answer, or Jim as well. maybe one of the Jim's can simply go out into their garage and look at their cars to let ya know how they are.

Davtona

Mine looks like wraps of tape still wrapped around the hoses hanging loose. Then here is a little T shaped plastic wire loom that is designed to be taped to the hoses and plugged into a hole. There is a hole in the inner fenderwell on top on the flat part where the fender tag mounts. My guess is this wire loom should taped to the hoses on each side and be plugged into that hole. Mine is currently just hanging loose and not plugged into that hole. Somebody has messed with mine though I think as the wire loom is tied to the hoses with string instead of being taped on.  :shruggy:    My guess is the black tape wrapped around my hoses at one time connected the wire loom to the hoses and plugged into that hole.

Dave Kanofsky

I think that is the same on all '69 Chargers with vacuum operated hideaway headlights.

On my car, There are two of the holes in the LH inner fender that have these T clips installed into them.  The vacuum hoses only are taped to these T clips with two wraps of black tape - one on either side of the T.

Here are some pics of when I was disassembling mine...
"God sent his Son into the world not to judge the world, but to save the world through him." John 3:17, NLT

Racers For Christ Chaplain (www.teamrfc.org)

maxwellwedge

Yup - Same as both of mine. The T-Clip is the same clip they use to clip the wiring to the inner fender forward of the connector plug in the battery tray area. The same clip is used in various other locations and cars as well.

notabird

I thought all of our chargers had cloth tape(friction tape) holding the plastic holder to the vac. hoses.
Brent

Charger-Bodie

Quote from: notabird on October 10, 2009, 09:09:02 PM
I thought all of our chargers had cloth tape(friction tape) holding the plastic holder to the vac. hoses.
Brent

They (68 69) are supposed to ....Its just one of those very often overlooked details.
68 Charger R/t white with black v/t and red tailstripe. 440 4 speed ,black interior
68 383 auto with a/c and power windows. Now 440 4 speed jj1 gold black interior .
My Charger is a hybrid car, it burns gas and rubber............

maxwellwedge

I have to check on the tape material - can't remember if it's cloth or vinyl on my cars - both cars are away getting some work at the moment but I'll ask him to check by phone.

maxwellwedge

Quote from: hemi68charger on October 10, 2009, 10:49:06 AM
Hey Gang..
Just noticed on 73TXRallye440Seems' thread on the low-mileage Daytona a small engine detail. My Daytona's missing this small clip,wrap or just tape holding the vacuum hoses together as they transverse along the inner driver's fender panel (white circle area)... What would this really be? Does anyone have detailed pictures of it? And finally, anyone know where you can get this if it is a clip and not simple tape?

Thanks..
Troy

To everyone that uses a repo battery - Please don't put that dumb-ass warning tag on the battery post. They never came that way new. Frank Badalson gave me the equivalent of a "Flying Bitch-Slap" years ago for having one on.  :lol:

Aero426

Brent

My Superbird had friction tape holding the plastic tee holder to the vac lines. 

pettybird

Quote from: maxwellwedge on October 10, 2009, 09:35:02 PM
Quote from: hemi68charger on October 10, 2009, 10:49:06 AM
Hey Gang..

Thanks..
Troy

To everyone that uses a repo battery - Please don't put that dumb-ass warning tag on the battery post. They never came that way new. Frank Badalson gave me the equivalent of a "Flying Bitch-Slap" years ago for having one on.  :lol:

I ripped off every one I could get my hands on at best of show    :RantExplode:

maxwellwedge

:lol:  You have been spared the Flying B-Slap!  :lol:

hemi68charger

Thanks guys !!!! I appreciate all your input and not getting "slapped"...... Now, I'm going to have to be prepared for the AeroMeet if I can't get my battery swapped out before then....   :icon_smile_big:

T
Troy
'70 Superbird 426 Hemi auto: Lindsley Bonneville Salt Flat world record holder (220.2mph)

62 Max

Quote from: Aero426 on October 10, 2009, 09:51:03 PM
Brent

My Superbird had friction tape holding the plastic tee holder to the vac lines.  

They all used friction tape and went on top of inner fender.If you look at 50 restored cars,at least 90% will have it wrong.Most seem to just run the hoses through the wiring holders.

maxwellwedge

Well guys,
I just checked the Bird. It has Nylon tape. This car has its original hoses, belts, spark plug wires, exhaust, tires etc etc. so I can say that that is original. Still have to check my 'Tona's to see what they used on those rascals. I know every clip for the headlight harness (by the battery tray) that I have ever seen on B and E bodies uses friction tape (or Hockey tape as us Canucks say).

I am betting it was an either/or deal with the friction tape leading the majority.

nascarxx29

1969 R4 Daytona XX29L9B410772
1970 EV2 Superbird RM23UOA174597
1970 FY1 Superbird RM23UOA166242
1970 EV2 Superbird RM23VOA179697
1968 426 Road Runner RM21J8A134509
1970 Coronet RT WS23UOA224126
1970 Daytona Clone XP29GOG178701

Just 6T9 CHGR

The new repro harnesses are held together with vinyl tape.   You have to supply your old plastic clips & wrap them into the harness to secure it to the fender....
Chris' '69 Charger R/T

hemi68charger

Again..
Thanks guys......... I found one of the harness retainers in my stash.. Let's see if I can find another one.........   :2thumbs:

Detail by detail, making this Daytona better.........

Troy
Troy

hemigeno

Sorry for the delay in chiming in... these weekend threads have to wait until I have access to the work PC with all my pictures.  There's already been some good feedback/answers, but I'll throw in a picture of an NOS set of hoses which has the taped-in connectors.  Not sure if the tape is the same (looks adhesive to me, but I could be wrong).  Troy, I think I sent you pictures of this set of hoses right after I bought them several years back.

hemi68charger

Quote from: hemigeno on October 12, 2009, 10:01:56 AM
Sorry for the delay in chiming in... these weekend threads have to wait until I have access to the work PC with all my pictures.  There's already been some good feedback/answers, but I'll throw in a picture of an NOS set of hoses which has the taped-in connectors.  Not sure if the tape is the same (looks adhesive to me, but I could be wrong).  Troy, I think I sent you pictures of this set of hoses right after I bought them several years back.

Geno,
That's a perfect picture. I obviously have the two holes that are required. My hose harness does have the two strands of tape exactly like that, vinyl and width. The front group, but the battery, is missing. I found one of the plastic clips, so I'll search for another one. More detail items back to the way it should be........  One thing about Dana I didn't have to mess around with was the harness. Her hose harness was cut at the firewall..

Troy
Troy