News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Vin stamp on engine 68'

Started by ZSmithersCharges, October 18, 2009, 12:50:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ZSmithersCharges

Talked to a Mopar guy around here that works at Napa and he said he has seen them covered by the alt bracket/heads before.  Ugh I'm just going to get it running screw taking the heads off right now, sorry folks I'll resurrect this thread when I get the heads off sometime in the distant future.

Edit: ok I'll take the alt bracket off and see if it is behind there just to make sure I've done everything I can without taking off the heads  :cheers:

ZSmithersCharges

Quote from: 69CoronetRT on October 20, 2009, 12:49:25 AM
Quote from: ZSmithersCharges on October 19, 2009, 06:48:35 PM
Quote from: 268RTs4ME on October 19, 2009, 06:42:22 PM
I have 3 68 Coronet RTs Two with matching vins which are stamped on the top Rail behind  and left of oil sending unit where motor meets trans with build date of car 1 being Aug 11,67 casting Date on block is 7/15/67 with EIC still D440 HP. second car build date being dec 23,67 casting date on block 9/20/67. both are stamped with vin where stated.

Well mines not  :shruggy: I mean it could be as there is rust and dirt but I went at it with a wire brush to no avail.  
Also, your cars are R/T 440's I think they took priority in identification and stamping over a plain jane 383 HP or not.

His cars would have been built at a different plant than yours so what his does or does not have would have little bearing on your car.

There was no priority in stamping engines.

Thanks for clearing that up I knew there was some difference in the builds of our cars whether it had been engine or plantwhise.  You are like a fountain of knowledge please don't dissapear from this forum  :2thumbs:

bull

Quote from: 69CoronetRT on October 20, 2009, 01:00:57 AM
Quote from: bull on October 19, 2009, 07:45:29 PM
Here's a pic of my non-hp block stamping at the dist. pad. I would think yours would have pretty much the same info except mine is somewhat unique in that it's got a late '67 engine in a early '68 car.

IIRC, D383=68 383, 10 30= 1967 engine assembly date and R is of course R big block as opposed to RB which is 400 and larger big block. I have no bellhousing flange stamp on mine either.

A late 67 assembled engine would be very common in an early 68 model year car.

Bull, I don't remember. Was this block out of a two bbl car? Since there was no 383 RB as in earlier years, there would be no reason to distinguish between the two in '68. If this is from a 2bbl car, I think it is more likely the R indicates 'Regular fuel'.

That's why I have to put IIRC in front of every "fact" I post. :P And yes, mine is a 2bbl engine/car.

bull

FYI, I found this pic on Ebay yesterday and thought I'd post it here for reference. It's how and where the '68 engine/bellhousing were stamped if they were stamped at all.

Sixt8Chrgr

I have the VIN on the tranny but not on the block.

bull

Quote from: Sixt8Chrgr on November 08, 2009, 09:21:06 PM
I have the VIN on the tranny but not on the block.

Was one of the two transplanted? I don't see how they could miss one because I'm relatively sure they stamped them both at the same time.

Sixt8Chrgr

the stamping on the tranny matches the car's vin.

I found PT 383R and 8 digits that dont match the cars vin on the bottom of the block near the starter.

Ghoste

That's the engine serial number not the vehicle one.  The first four after the numbers you have already provided will give you a build date for the engine based on the 10,000 day calender and the last four are the engine sequence number.

bull

Quote from: Sixt8Chrgr on November 08, 2009, 09:40:53 PM
the stamping on the tranny matches the car's vin.

I found PT 383R and 8 digits that dont match the cars vin on the bottom of the block near the starter.

Sounds like you've got a transplanted engine. Is this an R/T?

ZSmithersCharges

How do you tell where the vehicle was made?  By that I mean which plant?  I want to do some investigation and see if I can come up with some reason why my tranny may be stamped and engine not.  I know you all have your thoughts on the issue "ahem" not matching.  But, I have mine as well so I would like to see what I can come up with.  Thank you.

Sixt8Chrgr

Quote from: ZSmithersCharges on November 10, 2009, 02:07:11 AM
How do you tell where the vehicle was made?  By that I mean which plant?  I want to do some investigation and see if I can come up with some reason why my tranny may be stamped and engine not.  I know you all have your thoughts on the issue "ahem" not matching.  But, I have mine as well so I would like to see what I can come up with.  Thank you.

You should be able to tell where the vehicle was made from the fender tag. I am pretty sure?
Did you find the engine build date and the engine sequential number off the pad that is on the bottom of the motor near the starter? I just determined where this was on my car.

My car did not have the VIN stamped on the motor but on the tranny as you were stating earlier. I thought my motor was correct and after further investigation determined it is NOT the original motor. I was pretty surprised actually since the car only has 89K original miles on it. My car was built on Dec 22 67 and the motor was built February 7, 68. I determined the build date of the motor from the stampings on the bottom of the motor.

Ghoste

The dash VIN will also tell you the assembly plant for the vehicle, it's the seventh digit.

bull

I want to do some investigation and see if I can come up with some reason why my tranny may be stamped and engine not.  I know you all have your thoughts on the issue "ahem" not matching.  But, I have mine as well so I would like to see what I can come up with.  Thank you.

Wait, are you talking trans. or bellhousing? I think everyone's trans. got stamped but not necessarily the bellhousings.

69CoronetRT

Quote from: Sixt8Chrgr on November 10, 2009, 06:27:28 PM

You should be able to tell where the vehicle was made from the fender tag. I am pretty sure?

A 68 tag does not have the assembly plant designation on the tag. However, 68 Chargers were only built at two plants. If it was built prior to about mid March, it would have been built at Hamtramck. If it was built mid March or after, you can usually determine the plant by the unique inspection stamps on the St. Louis built car tags.
Seeking information on '69 St. Louis plant VINs, SPDs and VONs. Buld sheets and tag pictures appreciated. Over 3,000 on file thanks to people like you.

no318

Kind of along these lines, my 68 RT 440 does have the VIN on the bellhousing and a number stamped along the BOTTOM of pan rail area near where the starter mounts.  It is PT440S 23222152.  It is similar to the VIN, but not exact.  I have not seen this before.  Does anyone know what it means?  I tried to post a pic, but couldn't make it work.  Thanks.

Ghoste

It means it is a high performance 440 built at the Trenton engine plant on December 6, 1967 and the sequence number was 2152.

69CoronetRT

Seeking information on '69 St. Louis plant VINs, SPDs and VONs. Buld sheets and tag pictures appreciated. Over 3,000 on file thanks to people like you.

ZSmithersCharges

Quote from: 69CoronetRT on November 10, 2009, 09:49:29 PM

A 68 tag does not have the assembly plant designation on the tag. However, 68 Chargers were only built at two plants. If it was built prior to about mid March, it would have been built at Hamtramck. If it was built mid March or after, you can usually determine the plant by the unique inspection stamps on the St. Louis built car tags.

Fender tag or?  Also, after March in 68 your saying or after march in 67?  If you are saying 68 disregard the first question please and thank you.