News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

are 440's internal or external balanced?

Started by C_stripes, October 30, 2009, 01:06:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

C_stripes

I'm smarter than I act, But I don't act smarter than I am.

oldkimmer

.............Yes and no.........depending on the year.......66-72 forged usually...........73 up cast usually unless attached 2 a 4 gear or special application...............kim.............................u can tell a cast by the narrow parting line forged is approx 1/2 in wide...
Back in the good old days 1968 charger rt 440 magnum . 1968  charger 383 magnum. The Beast has been Unleashed!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Chatt69chgr

The balancer's are very different.  The forged uses one that is symmetrical all the way around and kind of thin.  The forged uses a balancer with a big cast in weight on one side and is wider and kind of slopes on the outer edge.

Brock Samson

Sublime/Sixpack

I think all 1970 and up 440 "HP" engines are externally balanced.
1970 Sublime R/T, 440 Six Pack, Four speed, Super Track Pak

John_Kunkel

The '70 and '71 440 HP engines are externally balanced due to the weight of the "heavy rods", '72 and later (except for the few 440+6) don't need external balance even with the heavy rods because the piston weight is reduced.
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

Challenger340

Why do you need to know ASAP ?

Generally'
the Forged Cranks are Internal Balance with thin Dampers,
and
The Cast Cranks are Externally Balanced with Big Thick or Tapered Balancers.

Exceptions;
69 1/2 & up 440-6 pk Engines with the "Heavy" 6 pk Rods are "Forged Crank" but EXTERNALLY Balanced Balancer(thicker).

As John pointed out,
Mopar was using up the Heavy 6 pk Rod Stock Parts by late '71 in non-hp Engines, those were Forged Crank, (but Internally Balanced due to the Lighter Piston), and had thin Balancers.

gets pretty confusing doesn't it ?
Only wimps wear Bowties !

LeadfootBob

The late model 440's have a GIGANTIC damper with the words "USE WITH 440 CAST CRANK  ONLY" stamped into the front, impossible to miss.
One does wonder how far these can be spun before turning into something akin to the fragmentation casing on a hand grenade...
Proud member of the jack stand racing team since 1999.
'70 Charger 500: "Bronson", some kind of hillbilly hot rod in progress.
'89 Chevy Caprice 9C1: "it's got a cop motor..."

Blown70

Quote from: LeadfootBob on October 31, 2009, 09:54:57 AM
The late model 440's have a GIGANTIC damper with the words "USE WITH 440 CAST CRANK  ONLY" stamped into the front, impossible to miss.
One does wonder how far these can be spun before turning into something akin to the fragmentation casing on a hand grenade...

Yea, I have seen the USE WITH CAST CRANK ONLY, but umm well you do understand some people *think* they know better nowadays...... :slap:

I can imagine this could/would create some what of a MESS in the engine area.... :scratchchin:

C_stripes

Thanks guys. I got a 64 Dodge 880 383 auto in trade and have the chance to buy a 440 cheap. The 880 needs an engine and I was thinking about the 440 and needed to know if it would work. I guess it probably won't as the old 383's are internal and the 440 is a late model. Here are a few pics of the 880. I got it in trade for a set of slotted mags.

I'm smarter than I act, But I don't act smarter than I am.

Sublime/Sixpack

That old C-body looks pretty solid.

You could make the 440 work in that car, you'd have to go with the correct torque convertor for the 440, or purchase the "weight" and weld it on to the existing torque convertor in the right spot, but it'd work out okay.
1970 Sublime R/T, 440 Six Pack, Four speed, Super Track Pak

Bobs69

Cooter

Here is the way to identify the Cast from the forged...
" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"