News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Wheel Sizes - Battling Everyones Dilemma

Started by BLUE68RT4ME, October 30, 2009, 10:23:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

68charger440

Quote from: Charge_her on September 17, 2015, 06:33:44 PM
Thanks! I'm happy with them.

18x10 AR Torq Thrust 2.1 - 5 x 4.5 bolt, 5.75 bs
17x8 AR Torq Thrust 2.1 - 5 x 4.5 bolt, 4.75 bs
305/45R18 Nitto NT555R Drag Radial
245/45R17 Nitto NT555 Extreme Radial
So how much space do you have between the inside of the wheel well lip and the tire if the tire were up higher in the well?  It looks like you would have about an inch.  I like that tucked in look that comes out close to the lip.  I've always wondered if the 305/45/18 would fit on a 4.75 back spaced 18" wheel.  I did the calculations for my car and it looks like it would be too close to call.
When someone is absolutely 100% sure they know exactly what your problem is and how to fix it, it's time to ask someone else!

Charge_her

Yeah, very close. I have about 1/2 - 3/4" on one side and none on the other. Moving the right wheel out about a half inch with a spacer and disc conversion. No guarantee I won't rub, we will see.

myk

Quote from: familymopar on September 21, 2014, 03:00:53 PM
Quote from: 505charger on September 21, 2014, 10:26:19 AM
What brand and model of wheel are you running?

Boss 338's

http://www.bossmotorsports.com/custom_chrome_wheels.cfm?id=1920&cat=466

Hey Family man, how've you been?  Haven't seen you around and yer inbox is full.  Hope all is well with you, family and Charger...
"imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="a/mB3ii4B"><a href="//imgur.com/a/mB3ii4B"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js"

rikubot

Quote from: Charge_her on September 16, 2015, 07:10:26 PM
Here ya go. Pics when its on the ground and from further back.  I think adjusting the torsion bars will help bring the front down an inch or so, should look good.

News flash, my friend: SHE ALREADY LOOKS GOOD  :punkrocka:
'69 Charger, 440/727

myk

Question guys: I really love my wheels but wish the back wheel was an 18 x 9 with a zero offset instead of an 18 x 8.  Discount Tire, the maker of these wheels, doesn't carry that size, so my only option is to go to the 17" wheels, which do come in a 9" wheel with a +6 offset, or try to find this style of wheel with the measurements I need.  How do I go about doing that?  Is there some sort of search engine for wheels on a website somewhere?  Wheels tend to be copied by all of the various wheel companies, so I find it hard to believe that Discount Tire is the only place that has this style.  Any ideas?  Thanks in advance...
"imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="a/mB3ii4B"><a href="//imgur.com/a/mB3ii4B"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js"

WHITE AND RED 69

Quote from: myk on November 30, 2015, 01:24:42 PM
Question guys: I really love my wheels but wish the back wheel was an 18 x 9 with a zero offset instead of an 18 x 8.  Discount Tire, the maker of these wheels, doesn't carry that size, so my only option is to go to the 17" wheels, which do come in a 9" wheel with a +6 offset, or try to find this style of wheel with the measurements I need.  How do I go about doing that?  Is there some sort of search engine for wheels on a website somewhere?  Wheels tend to be copied by all of the various wheel companies, so I find it hard to believe that Discount Tire is the only place that has this style.  Any ideas?  Thanks in advance...

Hey Myk, what about getting your 18x8s widened? Should cost less than getting a whole new set of wheels...I think?

http://www.weldcraftwheels.com/

Or there might be a shop local to you that could handle it.  :2thumbs:
1969 Dodge Charger R/T
2016 Jeep Grand Cherokee 75th edition
1999 Jeep Grand Cherokee
1972 Plymouth Duster

myk

Wow, thanks for the link; that might be just what I need.  Someone, somewhere told me that widening or shortening wheels is potentially unsafe.  Do you know of any instances of problems? 

WHITE AND RED 69

I've heard people say the welds could fail and that it weakens the overall structure but I think it all depends on the shop doing the work. I think in the scenarios that professionally widened wheels have failed have been in hard impacts where a normal wheel would have failed as well. And then of course you hear about the guys who do it themselves in the backyard and wonder why the wheels can't be balanced. 

I was looking into getting my wheels widened a while back and talked to a few guys who had theirs done at Weldcraft and all of them said they were perfect with no issues with strength or balance and no concern about failures. As long as a reputable shop is handling it I would have no problems putting them on my car.
1969 Dodge Charger R/T
1999 Jeep Grand Cherokee
1972 Plymouth Duster

1974dodgecharger

Question guys: I really love my wheels but wish the back wheel was an 18 x 9 with a zero offset instead of an 18 x 8.  Discount Tire, the maker of these wheels, doesn't carry that size, so my only option is to go to the 17" wheels, which do come in a 9" wheel with a +6 offset, or try to find this style of wheel with the measurements I need.  How do I go about doing that?  Is there some sort of search engine for wheels on a website somewhere?  Wheels tend to be copied by all of the various wheel companies, so I find it hard to believe that Discount Tire is the only place that has this style.  Any ideas?  Thanks in advance...

ridler makes the clone of your wheels.....

1974dodgecharger

Quote from: WHITE AND RED 69 on November 30, 2015, 01:51:39 PM
Question guys: I really love my wheels but wish the back wheel was an 18 x 9 with a zero offset instead of an 18 x 8.  Discount Tire, the maker of these wheels, doesn't carry that size, so my only option is to go to the 17" wheels, which do come in a 9" wheel with a +6 offset, or try to find this style of wheel with the measurements I need.  How do I go about doing that?  Is there some sort of search engine for wheels on a website somewhere?  Wheels tend to be copied by all of the various wheel companies, so I find it hard to believe that Discount Tire is the only place that has this style.  Any ideas?  Thanks in advance...

Hey Myk, what about getting your 18x8s widened? Should cost less than getting a whole new set of wheels...I think?

http://www.weldcraftwheels.com/

Or there might be a shop local to you that could handle it.  :2thumbs:

WOW im interested in this because I want to minitube, but new rims will cost me 4 grand or more for 4 I can widen my rears up 2 more inches wonder what the costs be.

68charger440

If you get a price post it.  I am interested in getting some widened also.
When someone is absolutely 100% sure they know exactly what your problem is and how to fix it, it's time to ask someone else!

myk

Quote from: 1974dodgecharger on November 30, 2015, 08:46:01 PM

ridler makes the clone of your wheels.....

Thanks for the heads up.  I checked them out but of course, they don't have my sizes either.  I guess it's either do what Clayton says, or switch to 17's, or change wheel styles... ::)

303 Mopar

So with my new +1" springs on my '68 I am thinking of getting new 15x10 w/ 5" bs Cragars.  440, 3.23 gears, 727, street driven but I like to light em up and go light to light every once in a while.

I searched through this thread but could not find the combo I'm considering so would like to throw it out to the group for feedback or anyone who is running close to this combo.

Either:
MT Sportsman SR 30x12R15 rear, 26x10 or 28x10 front - are 10' too wide up front??  Is 30 to 26" to much of a stagger??

https://www.mickeythompsontires.com/street.php?item=SportsmanSR

Or
Hoosier Pro Street Radials 29x12.5 rear, 28x9.5 or 27x10.5 - again are the 10.5 too wide?

http://www.hoosiertire.com/pdfs/prostr.pdf
1968 Charger - 1970 Cuda - 1969 Sport Satellite Convertible

68charger440

Quote from: 303 Mopar on January 22, 2016, 11:45:40 PM
So with my new +1" springs on my '68 I am thinking of getting new 15x10 w/ 5" bs Cragars.  440, 3.23 gears, 727, street driven but I like to light em up and go light to light every once in a while.

I searched through this th2R15read but could not find the combo I'm considering so would like to throw it out to the group for feedback or anyone who is running close to this combo.

Either:
MT Sportsman SR 30x1 rear, 26x10 or 28x10 front - are 10' too wide up front??  Is 30 to 26" to much of a stagger??

Or
Hoosier Pro Street Radials 29x12.5 rear, 28x9.5 or 27x10.5 - again are the 10.5 too wide?

I think the front will give you some trouble on driveway bumps etc. when at full turning radius and at stock ride  height.  Not sure about the back, but I think that might rub also at stock height.

HPP

Quote from: 303 Mopar on January 22, 2016, 11:45:40 PM

I searched through this thread but could not find the combo I'm considering so would like to throw it out to the group for feedback or anyone who is running close to this combo.

Either:
MT Sportsman SR 30x12R15 rear, 26x10 or 28x10 front - are 10' too wide up front??  Is 30 to 26" to much of a stagger??

Or

The SR 26x10 should fit up front okay if you have the  right backspace on the wheels. You'll need a 15x8 with at least 4.25 backspace, 4.5"-4.75" would be preferred. Anything less than 4.25 and you may be rubbing the fender. Anything greater than 4.75" and you'll hit the upper ball joint.

26" to 30", that is a 4" diameter difference, so half of that is 2", that is how much it will lift the rear. Combined with you 1.5" over stock springs, you are now looking at a 3.5" rake. You could simulate this with a floor jack to get a  view.

303 Mopar

Quote from: HPP on January 23, 2016, 11:11:46 AM
The SR 26x10 should fit up front okay if you have the  right backspace on the wheels. You'll need a 15x8 with at least 4.25 backspace, 4.5"-4.75" would be preferred. Anything less than 4.25 and you may be rubbing the fender. Anything greater than 4.75" and you'll hit the upper ball joint.

26" to 30", that is a 4" diameter difference, so half of that is 2", that is how much it will lift the rear. Combined with you 1.5" over stock springs, you are now looking at a 3.5" rake. You could simulate this with a floor jack to get a  view.

Thanks HPP.  I am shooting for a nice rake without the "stink bug" look.  I think 4" is too much so I maybe looking at a 28" tall tire for the front if I go 30" rear.  I want to fill all this room in the back I have now! 

out there

US Mags U102. 17x8 255/45, 18x9 265/50 Nitto P555 . 4.5" BS in front and 5.25" rear.  Thanks to all the information on here, I could figure out what I wanted. Was looking for a classic look in a larger wheel with a tire with some sidewall to it.

out there

I'll post better pics when I get it home

WHITE AND RED 69

Quote from: out there on February 03, 2016, 05:12:55 PM
US Mags U102. 17x8 255/45, 18x9 265/50 Nitto P555 . 4.5" BS in front and 5.25" rear.  Thanks to all the information on here, I could figure out what I wanted. Was looking for a classic look in a larger wheel with a tire with some sidewall to it.

Nice! Great wheel choice  :2thumbs:

What's the logo on the stripe?
1969 Dodge Charger R/T
1999 Jeep Grand Cherokee
1972 Plymouth Duster

out there

Thanks!   :2thumbs:  I spent a ridiculous amount of time studying pictures and sizes. I was afraid to gamble on some other ideas I had that may not have come out so well.
The stripe says 605/Hemi

Dino

Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

Dreamcar

"And another thing, when I gun the motor, I want people to think the world is coming to an end." - Homer Simpson

1969 Charger, 383, Q5/V1W, A35, H51, N88,  numbers match (under restoration)

out there

Thanks guys! I was looking at options with more black on them, but with the green body and silver stripe I decided to play it safe rather than gamble.
My choices ranged from dog dish, which I really like to pro touring, so I was all over the board. The information on here was plenty to make a decision without having the car to measure.  My first choice, initially, turned out to be $1700 a wheel  :o, so the search went on...

303 Mopar

Is anyone running 15x10 with 30x12 tires or close to it on a 2nd gen Charger?  I'm curious on the fit with backspace being 5.5 or 4.5, the only options Weld Wheels offers.