News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Wheel Sizes - Battling Everyones Dilemma

Started by BLUE68RT4ME, October 30, 2009, 10:23:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BrokenHero

Hey guys -
What size are the best looking/widest/beefiest tires you can
reasonably and correctly put on the stock wheels?
The wheels on my 68 Charger 383 are stock and they
currently have 215/75R/14. They look tiny and dinky to me.
Anything else I can get, preferably at Costco or Discount tire center?
Trying to be a bit budget because I spent all my disposable income on
engine rebuild.
Thanks!
1968 Dodge Charger
383 4 barrel
PP1 red, black vinyl top
Los Angeles, CA

Mike DC

14" tires are mostly extinct, at least in big enough diameters to use on a car the size of a Charger.  They do exist but it's getting to be mail-order-only stuff.  That, and reproductions that are expensive because they look authentic to the 50yo ones.   There's about 2-3 companies to choose from and their newest 14" tire models were designed in the 1990s.  

:Twocents:

If you aren't wedded to the 14" rim diameter on principle then make your life easier and switch to some 15" rims.  The world is full of cheap used (and cheap new) 15s.  

6bblgt

basically you are limited to:
215/70/14 (~F70-14) - stock size '68 R/T w/440
215/75/14
225/70/14 (~G70-14) - stock size '71 R/T w/440

by modern desired "LOOK" all the above may be considered too small on a second generation B-body

if you want to stay with the stock 14" wheels, the 215/70/14 & 225/70/14 are available in:
BFG Radial T/A
Cooper Cobra
Milestar Streetsteel
Hercules H/P 4000
General Altimax RT43
Hankook Kinergy ST H735
& probably a couple others .....

6bblgt

and currently a "discount" on BFG at Costco until the end of the month

BrokenHero

Oh nice, thanks! I think I'll buy those 225/70/14 from Costco. Appreciate it.

Later down the line I'll get cragar SS and wider tires.
1968 Dodge Charger
383 4 barrel
PP1 red, black vinyl top
Los Angeles, CA

6bblgt

your wheels, if original to the Charger, should be 14x5.5"

BrokenHero

Gotcha, thanks. So those 225/70/14 BFG should fit, correct?

Thanks!
1968 Dodge Charger
383 4 barrel
PP1 red, black vinyl top
Los Angeles, CA

6bblgt

Quote from: BrokenHero on January 22, 2021, 04:43:35 PM
Gotcha, thanks. So those 225/70/14 BFG should fit, correct?

Thanks!

Chrysler wouldn't put a G70-14 on a 5.5" wheel (6.0" was used) - on a 5.5" wheel, it is not ideal but it has been done plenty of times

TTSaleen

I have a thread on here about my 1968 Charger mods, but figured I would post something here for those interested.
**NOTE** - Will have better pics soon with it on the ground after my suspension/brakes are completed.
I have videos posted on this topic on my Youtube page - www.youtube.com/98saleen

My Charger came with 15x7 American Racing wheels (VN5155765) and Cooper Tires 235-60-15 when I bought it last year.

I am currently upgrading my suspension and brakes and just happen to have quite a few sets of Mustang Wheels laying around.
So the bolt pattern is the same (5x114.3 OR 5x4.5) but the center hub size is different.
Mustang = 70.5mm, Charger 71.5mm

I put some wheel spacers on it in a 1" offset with a larger center hub to ensure it would fit properly.

I can fit any of my 94-2004 mustang wheels on it now without any problem.
I have a set of Mach 1 wheels that I put onto it.

Specs -
Front wheels
18x9 - AFS Wheels - Mach 1 style
Tires - 275-35-18 Toyo T1

Rear wheels
18x10.5 - AFS Wheels - Mach 1 style
Tires - 305-35-18 Toyo R888R
Fit like a glove!

Updated 6/1/2021 - Had some photos snapped this past weekend.

1968 Charger
1998 Twin Turbo Saleen
2003 Mach 1
2008 Pontiac G8

375instroke

US Wheel 17x8, 5" backspace.  4.5" would have been better, but it's all they offer.  The dog dishes are too loose.  They just slip off by hand.  I heard other people have had the same problem with aftermarket wheels.  More shitty aftermarket quality.  Maybe I can try to weld a tiny bit of bead on there.  Tires are 245/50ZR17 Michelin Pilot Sport AS4.  I needed something that didn't slide everywhere in the rain.  BFGoodrich and Cooper Cobra weren't cutting it, and these tires are getting great reviews dry and wet, hot and cold.

blakemon

Quote from: 375instroke on August 06, 2021, 11:34:06 PM
US Wheel 17x8, 5" backspace.  4.5" would have been better, but it's all they offer.  The dog dishes are too loose.  They just slip off by hand.  I heard other people have had the same problem with aftermarket wheels.  More shitty aftermarket quality.  Maybe I can try to weld a tiny bit of bead on there.  Tires are 245/50ZR17 Michelin Pilot Sport AS4.  I needed something that didn't slide everywhere in the rain.  BFGoodrich and Cooper Cobra weren't cutting it, and these tires are getting great reviews dry and wet, hot and cold.

Nice. How's the cornering response and noise level of the Michelin PS A/S4? I'm currently checking the tires on 4wheelonline and can't decide between that and the DWS06 Plus.

375instroke

Response is great.  I had BFG on before, and these feel a lot better.  Car has 1.04" torsions, 1-1/8" front sway bar, Firm Feel UCA, original R/T leafs with hangar flipped, QA1 adjustables, and old cop car steering box.  I haven't found the limits of the suspension with the old tires, so I probably won't with these.  Rain's a different story.  Slide and hydroplane everywhere with the BFG on this car, and Cooper Cobra on my other Charger.  I haven't noticed tire noise.

blakemon

Quote from: 375instroke on August 19, 2021, 12:34:04 AM
Response is great.  I had BFG on before, and these feel a lot better.  Car has 1.04" torsions, 1-1/8" front sway bar, Firm Feel UCA, original R/T leafs with hangar flipped, QA1 adjustables, and old cop car steering box.  I haven't found the limits of the suspension with the old tires, so I probably won't with these.  Rain's a different story.  Slide and hydroplane everywhere with the BFG on this car, and Cooper Cobra on my other Charger.  I haven't noticed tire noise.

Nice to know that. Now I know what to get. Thanks.

TTSaleen

Updated 1-2022 -
Put new Nitto G2 555 tires on it front and rear.
Went up a size in height on the backs.
Fronts - 275-35-18
Rears - 295-40-18
Wheels - 18x9 front and 18-10.5 rears
Suspension - QA1 front upper control arms, Hotchkis rear leaf springs, with Hotchkis/Fox shocks front and rear.  Has 1" longer shackles on rear as well.
I rolled the torsion bars down and then got it aligned as close as I could to the following specs -
Caster - +3.5*
Camber - -0.5*
Toe - 1/16"

It rides and handles more like a modern muscle car now.  I love it.

1968 Charger
1998 Twin Turbo Saleen
2003 Mach 1
2008 Pontiac G8

TTSaleen

Updated 8/31/2022

Finally got my American Racing Vector wheels in (been waiting 3 months!) and Cooper Cobra tires.
15x7 front and rear sizes (8.5 wheels are still on backorder till end of year)
235-60-15 front
275-60-15 rear

1968 Charger
1998 Twin Turbo Saleen
2003 Mach 1
2008 Pontiac G8

b5blue

WHITE AND RED 69

Quote from: TTSaleen on August 31, 2022, 11:02:01 AM
Updated 8/31/2022

Finally got my American Racing Vector wheels in (been waiting 3 months!) and Cooper Cobra tires.
235-60-15 front
275-60-15 rear

Nice!

There was a Duke's episode where they painted the general green. Always thought the green with the vectors was such a cool look.  :2thumbs:
1969 Dodge Charger R/T
2016 Jeep Grand Cherokee 75th edition
1999 Jeep Grand Cherokee
1972 Plymouth Duster

NickJ

Quote from: TTSaleen on August 31, 2022, 11:02:01 AMUpdated 8/31/2022

235-60-15 front
275-60-15 rear

Those are awesome. Any chance you know the backspace on those wheels? Doing 15's on my 69 and that's just about the perfect look.

family_dodge

Hi Guys. I have a problem, I'm looking for a solution.

Dad passed away, now I have the car in my sister's garage. The tires were rotting off, so I jacked the car up, took the American Racing Vector wheels off and brought them to a shop to have the tires removed. The car is on blocks (and it hasn't run since 1992), so now I know it is safe and sound, no one will roll it away.

I was niece and thought I could just get a cheap set of 4 tires for $100 to throw on the wheels, but at the shop, the guy laughs and says they don't make tires for these anymore—they have to be ordered and they are spendy.

Now I need to move it from the garage. I need a budget option to get this car rolling onto a trailer.

I did read through a lot of this thread, but to be honest with you, it's coming across as a different language. References to backspace and certain brands and wheel bore size and alterations ... does not compute right now. (But all your wheels and tires look amazing!)

Is my cheapest option to buy a pair of the Cooper Cobras (like above?) Amazon lists them for $150 per tire (so times four would be $600 plus ~$80 mounting), which would put me at almost $700 to get the car onto a trailer. Is there a better option here?

Thanks in advance!

p.s. I did call some local junkyards for cheep rim and tire combos, but they told me they wouldn't have anything that would fit a 1969 Charger.

doctor4766

Quote from: family_dodge on May 18, 2023, 01:16:17 PMHi Guys. I have a problem, I'm looking for a solution.

Dad passed away, now I have the car in my sister's garage. The tires were rotting off, so I jacked the car up, took the American Racing Vector wheels off and brought them to a shop to have the tires removed. The car is on blocks (and it hasn't run since 1992), so now I know it is safe and sound, no one will roll it away.

I was niece and thought I could just get a cheap set of 4 tires for $100 to throw on the wheels, but at the shop, the guy laughs and says they don't make tires for these anymore—they have to be ordered and they are spendy.

Now I need to move it from the garage. I need a budget option to get this car rolling onto a trailer.

I did read through a lot of this thread, but to be honest with you, it's coming across as a different language. References to backspace and certain brands and wheel bore size and alterations ... does not compute right now. (But all your wheels and tires look amazing!)

Is my cheapest option to buy a pair of the Cooper Cobras (like above?) Amazon lists them for $150 per tire (so times four would be $600 plus ~$80 mounting), which would put me at almost $700 to get the car onto a trailer. Is there a better option here?

Thanks in advance!

p.s. I did call some local junkyards for cheep rim and tire combos, but they told me they wouldn't have anything that would fit a 1969 Charger.

I'm not sure about American Fords but a lot of full size Australian Fords had the same stud pattern as our cars.
When I bought my 70 Charger, the previous owner gave me a set of late 70s/early 80s Falcon rims that he used to take the car for inspection for licensing here.
I'm sure someone here will know what model car you'd get a set off, even if the tyres are average.
Gotta love a '69

metallicareload99

:iagree: I used some 17" Ford Mustang rims this winter
1968, When Dinosaurs Ruled The Earth

family_dodge

Quote from: metallicareload99 on May 26, 2023, 03:40:24 PM:iagree: I used some 17" Ford Mustang rims this winter

Great! So I could just add late-70s model Fords as a junkyard option.

375instroke

Yes, Ford uses the same bolt pattern.  I'm sure any five lug Mustang will work.  Try Dodge vans, too.  Usually some in any junk yard.