News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Buddy Bakers Daytona

Started by tan top, November 08, 2009, 06:09:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Indygenerallee

idk, I have looked at it again, very hard to tell in those pics maybe it does have a spacer there to lower the shock mounting point to match the passenger side. kinda hard to tell.
Sold my Charger unfortunately....never got it finished.

therealmoparman

therealmoparman

therealmoparman

therealmoparman

therealmoparman

C5HM

I am going to get a piece of paper and have folks who know nothing at all about the about mechanical history of my car attest that it is the Lunar Rover. How long..do you think...until the Smithsonian calls? Should I wait by the phone?

therealmoparman

therealmoparman

Aero426

Quote from: therealmoparman on November 01, 2014, 08:10:37 PM
Quote from: Ghoste on August 26, 2014, 11:18:11 AM
Especially when the bogus story is being put out there by the person who otherwise could have been the most credible witness.

So this story was "put out" in 1992, an unbelievable 16 years before the Daytona car sold on ebay?

Thanks for posting the licensing paperwork.  Interesting to see how it worked.   

Do you have any paperwork from when the car was donated to the museum at Darlington? 

therealmoparman

Aero426

Quote from: therealmoparman on November 01, 2014, 08:15:05 PM
Quote from: C5HM on November 01, 2014, 08:05:14 PM
I am going to get a piece of paper and have folks who know nothing at all about the about mechanical history of my car attest that it is the Lunar Rover. How long..do you think...until the Smithsonian calls? Should I wait by the phone?

So here is where we find ourselves:

1. The story was fabricated by COG in 2008 when they wanted to sell the car on ebay - or -

2. The same story has been maintained all along, by documentation at least since 1992, a full 16 years before the car was sold on ebay, stating the same thing that was said all along. The documentation even shows that Bud Moore stated these as facts, not COG.

We can now agree that portions of the history were factually incorrect going all the way back to at least 1992.    I would not expect that Bud would know everything about the car in the museum.   

therealmoparman

therealmoparman

Aero426

Is there any historical paperwork from the Weatherly Museum showing exactly when the car was donated to the museum?   

odcics2

Quote from: therealmoparman on November 01, 2014, 08:15:05 PM
Quote from: C5HM on November 01, 2014, 08:05:14 PM

So here is where we find ourselves:

1. The story was fabricated by COG in 2008 when they wanted to sell the car on ebay - or -

2. The same story has been maintained all along, by documentation at least since 1992, a full 16 years before the car was sold on ebay, stating the same thing that was said all along. The documentation even shows that Bud Moore stated these as facts, not COG.

Q: Is Bruce Canapa, current owner of the #6 Cotton Owens Dodge, suing the Cotton Owens Estate?  Is that why this 'paperwork' is being presented?

I've never owned anything but a MoPar. Can you say that?

Stevearino

therealmoparman

therealmoparman

Redbird

Dumb as I am,

I read the letter posted above dated 1/22/1992 and it says;

..., but it was also a show car. The Owens built car won an award at the Detroit Auto Show as the best looking car and it was also shown in car shows all over the United States for 2 consecutive years."

There are plenty of pictures of the Ownens/Baker car at the Auto Shows. The dates of the auto shows are known.

So I'm not too bright, just how does the race schedule fit in with the Auto Show schedule?

therealmoparman

nascarxx29

:Twocents: They did a indepth interview sometime back on speedvision from the Darlington museum with Cotton Owens and that car right beside him ..Wonder if that would show any usable detail.Or I he mentioned anything on cars prior history. It might be on youtube?.I think I taped it
1969 R4 Daytona XX29L9B410772
1970 EV2 Superbird RM23UOA174597
1970 FY1 Superbird RM23UOA166242
1970 EV2 Superbird RM23VOA179697
1968 426 Road Runner RM21J8A134509
1970 Coronet RT WS23UOA224126
1970 Daytona Clone XP29GOG178701

Redbird

Quote from: therealmoparman on November 02, 2014, 10:12:48 AM
We know that Daytonas were only used at the bigger speedway tracks, where the race dates are spread throughout the season. There was more than one Charger race car that could be converted to a Daytona (and likewise back to just a Charger). And car shows are intermittent too, so there could be plenty of opportunities to use a certain car or another car at any given track or car show as the schedule allowed.

I don't mean for my observation below to be included in the quote above.

Here is among one of the challenges I just can't seem to overcome. Again, dumb as I am.

The 50 Lap race that a Owens/Baker  Daytona ran at Daytona and finished 2nd at was on 2/19/1970.

The 1970 Daytona 500 was on 2/22/1970, a Owens/Baker Daytona finished 27th there. There are plenty of pictures of the car there as well as it was shown on ABC's Wide World of Sports on that date.

The 1970 Chicago Auto Show was 2/21/1970-3/1/1970. A Owens/Baker Daytona was there.

The "Carolona 500" at Rockingham took place 3/8/1970 where an Owens/Baker Daytona finished 33rd.

So is someone saying that in late February/March 1970 that there were 2 Owens/Baker Daytonas?

There are also plenty of pictures of a Owens/Baker Daytona at other Auto Shows. So any differences in auto show cars can be documented.

Now is it being said that the Owens/Baker Auto Show Daytonas were a different car depending on which show it was?

therealmoparman