News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

My latest completed restoration project!

Started by AKcharger, November 14, 2009, 06:49:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AKcharger

Hi Guys

Just finished my '88 'runner. yes not a mopar but I found restoring things is almost addicting and all the good MOPARS up here are about used up. On this project I made the same mistake as on the old Chargers...not enough "before" pics, This was my 1st full paint and learned a lot.

I hope you'll pardon my one "non-mopar transgression" so I can showcase my efforts. Before:

AKcharger

Cannibilization vehicle, an '86 SR5 Turbo, bought for $150, sold for $100 (still had trans/axels/xfercase)

Farewell lil' truck!

AKcharger

Various shots of painting. I dorked up the clear coat a few times...bad gun and too hevey on the spray

AKcharger

Wet sanding and buffing...some of you guys might have seen this one before...

400 grit

1000 grit

1500 grit

2000 Grit

Final buff and cut

AKcharger

AKcharger

Completion pics...still need to get a radio

Silver R/T

http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks

1968 silver/black/red striped R/T
My Charger is hybrid, it runs on gas and on tears of ricers
2001 Ram 2500 CTD
1993 Mazda MX-3 GS SE
1995 Ford Cobra SVT#2722

carolina charger

What kind of gun did you start with? And end with?

NHCharger

Wow, nice job on the paint there Bill. Amazing what wet sanding, cutting and buffing will do to a paint job.
72 Charger- Base Model
68 Charger-R/T Clone
69 Charger Daytona clone- current moneypit
79 Lil Red Express - future moneypit
88 Ramcharger 4x4-moneypit in waiting
2014 RAM 2500HD Diesel

ChgrSteve67

Looks like brand new.

You going to sell it now or drive it like you stole it?

Good job!

AKcharger

Thanks fo rthe kind words guys!  :angel:
To answer questions
CA Charger - I started with a brand new "KOBALT" gun from Lowes ($79)...I thought a gun was a gun. it had a 1.4 tip so I thought that's all I needed. Mike (AKA Dads '69) came over to school me when my clear kept coming out bad.  With his help I bought a WARWICK paint weapon ($129) from local paint shop, that did the trick!

chgr Steve- This is now my daily driver. I have a '93 Ford Explorer that my wife says makes me look like an old man. I plan to literally drive the wheels off this thing. I'll just maintain it from here on out as parts are still available from the factory!! But it will live a reasonable life, no real hot rodding.

dads_69

Bill, good to see the out come finally! Good feeling isn't it? As much as I do body/paint still daily, I still enjoy my work.
When I dislike what I do for a living/carreer, that's when I'll give my tools away.

Mark
Hey, you can hate the game but don't hate the player.

daytonalo

Silver R/T

hopefully neighbors didn't complain about fumes, etc.
http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks

1968 silver/black/red striped R/T
My Charger is hybrid, it runs on gas and on tears of ricers
2001 Ram 2500 CTD
1993 Mazda MX-3 GS SE
1995 Ford Cobra SVT#2722

Troy

I like those trucks and it came out great.

Troy
Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

Beer

Looks great! I bought a new 86 4 runner when I entered flight school, Great truck  :2thumbs: life in Maine was hard on it after 100k miles and I ended up parting it out.
1973 Dodge Charger 402 Stroker Smallblock 414 HP/ 466 ft/lbs torque,  8 3/4" 3.91 Suregrip rear w/ DR. Diff disk brake conversion, CalTracs single leaf and Rear Suspension, VFN Bulge Hood, Running, needs interior completed, Had to give to Ex-Wife in divorce 2017...

AKcharger

Only a 100K?  wow, they usually go longer than that. This one's at 259K and I plan to just keep it going till every bolt is stripped out and nothing can be replaced on anymore

69bronzeT5

Great job dude......definetley a change for the good! :cheers:
Feature Editor for Mopar Connection Magazine
http://moparconnectionmagazine.com/

1969 Charger: T5 Copper 383 Automatic
1970 Challenger R/T: FC7 Plum Crazy 440 Automatic
1970 GTO: Black 400 Ram Air III 4-Speed
1971 Charger Super Bee: GY3 Citron Yella 440 4-Speed
1972 Charger: FE5 Red 360 Automatic
1973 Charger Rallye: FY1 Top Banana 440 Automatic
1973 Plymouth Road Runner: FE5 Red 440 Automatic
1973 Plymouth Duster: FC7 Plum Crazy 318 Automatic