News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

What I play with all day...

Started by yellowcuda, November 29, 2005, 09:22:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Just 6T9 CHGR

Mike, the VII's mainly have issues with smaller design aspects as well as some larger components (mufflers, steering boxes, hydraulic fan motors and other multiplexing programs)
A lot of the engine troubles are inherent to the CNG aspect of the fuel system.   They run much hotter than diesels and are very finicky with the fuel management as well.
We've been through 2 designs of mufflers (actually melt the steel because of exh temps) 4-5 different designs of exhaust blankets (we have 4 or 5 40ft flower pots in the depot because of fire....real scary on a CNG bus)
Also on the engine side, the low psi regulators (drop the working psi to the engine from 3600 psi down to 110 psi) have been reworked 4 or 5 times as well.
We have outside vendors doing warranty work on the engine side (Atlantic Detroit Diesel)   The MTA bought a 5 year warranty on the New Flyers and only a 2 year on the VII.....all of our buses are almost off warranty now.     This is where the fun begins.   Sadly, out of the 60 or so Maintainers in my depot (thats their title...not mechanics) only a small handfull are decent diagnosticians....all the rest are parts changers.     The parts changers went out with the old RTS 04 & 06......now those were REAL buses!     Black smoke belchin', 8-71 blown, run forever beasts!     I've seen small animals get sucked into the blower screen to stay running! ;)

Funny thing is that Daimler owns Atlantic Diesel as well so they're shooting themselves in both feet!
The MTA has put many a company out of business before.....I believe Atlantic is next!

Never had any VI's here, only V's and they have been retrofitted so many times they cant print up wiring diagram revisions fast enough!

RTS was a real bus when GM owned it.  Couldnt kill them.   The NOVA design is still much better than these low-floor crappers we have.  NYC streets are killers on them.  Because of the low profile tires on the New Flyers you wouldnt believe how many rims/tires we go through a week!   Good Year will never go out of business as long as the MTA is around!  (We're actually starting to convert the New Flyers to use the Orion VII tires now to try and allieveiate some of the damage)   oh did I mention that we got these buses in '99 (N/F) and NOW they are converting the tire sizes???

Here's the newest member to our fleet. The Hybrid electric model.   The MTA has about 50 of these now with about 300 more on order.   Dont have any at my location though

PS---Mike, where do you work???   Orion?
Chris' '69 Charger R/T

John_Kunkel

One of my babies.
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

NHCharger

Quote from: John_Kunkel on December 02, 2005, 04:50:42 PM
One of my babies.

WOW.
John, could you give a tad more info? Do you maintain, fly or design that bad boy?
72 Charger- Base Model
68 Charger-R/T Clone
69 Charger Daytona clone- current moneypit
79 Lil Red Express - future moneypit
88 Ramcharger 4x4-moneypit in waiting
2014 RAM 2500HD Diesel

RD

I work with the first, to help the second.
67 Plymouth Barracuda, 69 Plymouth Barracuda, 73 Charger SE, 75 D100, 80 Sno-Commander

John_Kunkel

Quote from: NHCharger on December 02, 2005, 05:19:02 PM
Quote from: John_Kunkel on December 02, 2005, 04:50:42 PM
One of my babies.

WOW.
John, could you give a tad more info? Do you maintain, fly or design that bad boy?

Used to maintain them, retired now. The one in the pic (FB111A 67-0159) was asssigned to our engineering flight test outfit at McClellan AFB near Sacramento; it has been repainted camo and resides in the museum there.
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

gunner22

i got you all beat, i get paid to beat meat.
Ben

TruckDriver

Quote from: gunner22 on December 03, 2005, 03:47:38 PM
i got you all beat, i get paid to beat meat.
Ben

Boy, I bet that makes you a cut above the rest. You know, something you can really hack :smilielol: :smilielol: :smilielol:
PETE

My Dad taught me about TIME TRAVEL.
"If you don't straighten up, I'm going to knock you into the middle of next week!" :P

yellowcuda

Should have known this title would hit the gutter sooner or later....can't believe it took so long! ;D

Shelley
Loganville, GA
'72 Cuda
69 Charger 426 Hemi (Jonathan's)
69 Charger 540 Blown Hemi (Jonathan's)
68 Charger (was gonna be DC.com car. Now it will be renamed)

greenpigs

It was clean because I stayed away.
1969 Charger RT

Living Chevy free

BB1

Just another desk job that moves at 70mph. It's only 18,000. Horsepower.   :D

Delete my profile

dodgecharger-fan

18,000 hp and it only hits 70!???

You should lose some weight off of that thing and maybe look into some different gears.     :lolexplode:

greenpigs

1969 Charger RT

Living Chevy free

Blusmbl

I don't play with this one anymore, but I usually never have a unique supply of vehicles to "manage".
Caintmakit Racing: Craptastic!
-66 BondoVille Roadster
-05 QC Hemi Ram
-looking for another '68-'69 Charger

The Ghoul

ok the last two arnt pictures of the ones i get to play with. and the last one is a model, i couldent find a picture of a real one!
Mostly I get to jockie CAD programs for teams that are trying improve these critters.

73dodge

Sorry not as cool as a F111 or a choo choo but it's a paycheck

This is the 15th one of these I put in this year

Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms should be a convenience store NOT a government agency!

cvuk2500

I used to play with Tanks, but now I play with machine tools:
NEEDS MUST WHEN THE DEVIL VOMITS INTO YOUR KETTLE!

rollingthunder

another one of those 70 mph 12000 hp desk jobs.
life's to short have a blast before its gone.

charger_72_318

Quote from: 73dodge on December 05, 2005, 11:36:48 AM

:puke:

72 Charger hardtop tranny, carb and intake swap
92 Spirit DOHC Gone

Todd Wilson

Quote from: rollingthunder on December 05, 2005, 08:20:57 PM

A bunch of mainline queens!

Todd - grumpy old switchman!

Todd Wilson

Hef asked me to post this for him.............

derailed

Quote from: Todd Wilson on December 06, 2005, 12:39:45 AM

:haha: For some reason i still prefer to be an extra board slut on those fat relief jobs claiming all the glory

rollingthunder

Quote from: Todd Wilson on December 06, 2005, 12:39:45 AM

don't feel bad Todd if it wasn't for the grumpy old switch man there wont be any mainline queens to make fun of.
life's to short have a blast before its gone.

Charger_Croatia

I have to deal with owners with those toys.
Trust me - IT IS NOT FUN AT ALL! (see space around engine)
'73 Charger with 400 (under restore)
2018 Infiniti Q50 Hybrid AWD Blue Sport

73dodge

Quote from: charger_72_318 on December 05, 2005, 09:54:10 PM
Quote from: 73dodge on December 05, 2005, 11:36:48 AM

:puke:

Um, what seems to be the problem? don't like SUN servers or IBM eServers?

Don't be fooled that is actually a PBX VoIP phone system
Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms should be a convenience store NOT a government agency!