News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Lighter gen 2

Started by motorcitydak, November 16, 2009, 11:00:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cooter

Steel replacement fenders/hoods etc...$500-$800.00 Each....

Same panel in Aluminum as it is higher in price metal $800-$1000.00 Each panel....(Not gonna sell but only to a few people, hell I'm having a hard time seeing $500/fender when the Camaro guys fenders are made by the same set up and are selling for $275.00)

BTW: Have any of you guys thought about how hard it would be to get paint to stick to aluminum panels? My guess is about as good as it stuck to the factory pot metal pieces, and with the new fangled EPA correct, "Water based" paints coming out soon mandated, it will mean a higher dollar paint job than now....
" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"

suntech

Cooter.....i am totally agree that the aluminum panels would not be sold in the same volume as the steel panels, due to the price tag, but it would be cool to have them, and save a bunch of weight.
As far as painting...no problem  :2thumbs:
Weight saving gets more and more expansive as more radical you go. A carbon fibre piece is even more expansive.......and lighter :shruggy:
Since we only live once, and all this is not just a dressed rehearsal, but the real thing............ Well, enjoy it!!!!

greenpigs

Cooter I agree it would be out of many peoples reach for an aluminum fender\door on a Charger but I still think some would be able to get them. I wouldn't be one of those but the bumper & brackets would be do able. I think once I get a welder I will try to make some sort of a bracket, it should be interesting.   :scratchchin:
1969 Charger RT

Living Chevy free

Troy

They've been painting aluminum bodies on cars since at least the 1930s.

Troy
Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

greenpigs

Bringing back this subject as I have a few more weights to add.

Single groove crank pulley is 1lb 3 oz less than a two groove pulley.
CE rear shocks each 1lb 4 oz less than C body shocks(which was an old trick in a Mopar Action magazine I read).
The tunner lug nuts were exactly 1 pound total less than the normal chrome plated lugs.
The front licenses plate bracket is getting some slots and holes and should drop about 7 oz or so, the aluminum pieces I had got just don't fit very well.

Yea...I know whats the point with cars this heavy, but I enjoy this type of thing.
1969 Charger RT

Living Chevy free

Ghoste

Plus it was time for the thread to make a re-entry anyway, a lot of new members since it was last up. :2thumbs:

Rolling_Thunder

Easiest way to drop weight from a car is from the driver IMO ---       I went from 320lbs to 171lbs....       

Other forms of loosing weight is little things - I plan on weighing my Charger once I get it back on the road - see what the damage is with the Hemi and full dress with A/C, sound deadener, and manual trans will get me...    I bet it wont be too pretty.
1968 Dodge Charger - 6.1L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.55 Sure Grip

2013 Dodge Challenger R/T - 5.7L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.73 Limited Slip

1964 Dodge Polara 500 - 440 / 4-speed / 3.91 Sure Grip

1973 Dodge Challenger Rallye - 340 / A-518 / 3.23 Sure Grip

autodynamics

Mine in full weight trim weighs 4160 with me in it and I'm 190

Fully loaded a/c sound deadner, I didn't think about all the weight until I weighed it
But the car makes power so I don't really care, i would rather have all that stuff then
Not have comfort creatures .
It's easier to make more power

greenpigs

I am building my Charger how I would have ordered it, which is stripped.

To each his own.

On a personal level I weigh 206 and should loose about 15 lbs or so but it isn't enough to be an issue.(read as...I am lazy)
1969 Charger RT

Living Chevy free