News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

MY 1600 CRAIGSLIST SPECIAL CUMMINS RAM RESTO

Started by daytonalo, November 15, 2009, 04:59:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Silver R/T

A little power service every other tank in winter works great
http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks

1968 silver/black/red striped R/T
My Charger is hybrid, it runs on gas and on tears of ricers
2001 Ram 2500 CTD
1993 Mazda MX-3 GS SE
1995 Ford Cobra SVT#2722

charger_fan_4ever

all my previous diesel trucks I let idle for like 15 minutes before leaving. Read somewhere that idling a cold cummins the egt's get so low that the fuel does not completly burn and ends up going down the walls into the oil pan and contaminate the oil.  :shruggy:

makes sense

If i know i'm going somewhere in the am I usually plug in my diesels once its down to 10 below freezing. Easier starts and less warm up time. The dodge does not like going into second when its cold. Guess the trans fluid is a lil thick lol.

GPULLER

The idle time is about the same for all diesels, they don't recommend idling for long periods, fuel will wash the cylinders.  I have a stick in my truck that I jam in between the foot pedal and floor mat to bring the R's up to 1000. 
They are definitely good starters, mine starts in 10 to 20 below without plugging in.  Just have to give them a little fuel when you hit the starter, it's a 12V thing.  I ran straight number 2 fuel during the winter months and just add glug of Power Service at fill up.  It was the daily driver for my wife for the past 5 years, she would run blended fuel or she would blend #1 and 2 when blended wasn't available at the pump.  She never had a gel up.
Now she has an '07 Durango, the Quad Cab just wasn't working any more with 2 kids.  She does miss the noise of the Cummins.  Now the diesel gets parked in the winter and comes out in the summer for hauling pulling tractors.

daytonalo

Can anyone help , I want to convert my Cummins from Auto to manual , my truck is 2 wd so it would be simple . From my research V-10 and cummins use the same set-up . One question I take it the trans is a 5 speed , that mean 1st gear is a granny or creeper gear ? Also where is my best pace to find all the parts needed ?

Larry

charger_fan_4ever

Hey Larry

Yes 1st is actually L on the stick and its a creeper. With 33's and 3.55 gears i take off in second even on hills.

with 33's and the 5 speed with 3.55's at 55 mph its turning about 16-1700.

For a 2wd the switch would  be easier, but probably not a whole lot of fun. I'd think fairly expensive if you bought piece by piece. Best bet would be a scrapped truck. All would be in place, so the swap would be easier.

I know on the 4x4's guys say its cheaper to just sell and buy a stick. I looked for about 6 months to find a stick.

I was thinking the tranny was different between cummins and v-10. If the tranny is the same you could just find a scrapped v-10. You'd need the driveshaft from a 2wd stick too.

daytonalo

I almost bought a 2001-3500 2 wd dually cummins with a 6 speed , I was going to swap trans and then sell the 2001 dually dump . As of tonight the deal is dead

SG1022

Quote from: Silver R/T on November 15, 2009, 06:32:52 PM
Quote from: daytonalo on November 15, 2009, 05:36:22 PM
It has only 130 k , i'm told the engine will go 350 k
350K before what? These last 500K before major maintenance. You have to watch fuel pressure on these trucks, stock lift pump fails and that ruins injection pump.

^What he said

My Grandpa has 1.4 mil on his, uses it to deliver light trailers.

He just maintains it well

charger_fan_4ever

Quote from: SG1022 on November 26, 2009, 01:00:49 AM
350K before what? These last 500K before major maintenance. You have to watch fuel pressure on these trucks, stock lift pump fails and that ruins injection pump.

^What he said

Holy crap. Highest mileage I heard of was 750K miles. Has the pump been rebuilt on your gramps truck ?

daytonalo

Thanks for the tips and my new home . Dieselresource.com

Some new pics taken today of my  15 year old hunk of shit  

dads_69

Ferrari resto' project? I feel for you man. I did one once, easy job but customer was a PITA.
BTW, your daily driver doesn't look half bad, for a hunk of shit, I'd drive it.  :2thumbs:

Mark
Hey, you can hate the game but don't hate the player.

daytonalo

SG1022

Quote from: charger_fan_4ever on November 27, 2009, 10:33:12 AM
Quote from: SG1022 on November 26, 2009, 01:00:49 AM

^What he said

Holy crap. Highest mileage I heard of was 750K miles. Has the pump been rebuilt on your gramps truck ?

Just talked to him and he said at 1.1 he got a  great deal on a new block and picked up .   He said that it didn't really need it, but it couldn't hurt. 
Other than that just good matainence, and care. It has had it's interior replaced though!

And I meant to say "Silverlite" trailers earlier, not lite trailers.   He has ran his own delivery business for 25 years.

NMike

sorry... didn't read enough of the thread.....