News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Bone stock (appearing) 1969 440 - with dyno results

Started by hemigeno, November 23, 2009, 07:27:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hemigeno

The verdict came in last Thursday on the engine we've built for my Daytona project...

Peak HP:  440 @ 5000rpm
Peak TQ:  534 @ 3400rpm

Not bad for a totally-stock appearing engine if you ask me...  The engine dyno tests were performed on a Stuska machine, which is usually conservative by 15-20HP.  The engine also still had an extremely stiff oil pressure spring in place, as evidenced by the 84-89lbs of oil pressure it maintained between 3k and 5.5k rpm's.  You can draw your own conclusions about what the hypothetical maximum power output of the engine actually is, but I'm really happy with how it turned out.

Here are some of the engine's particulars (I will be getting the rest of the information and correcting any mistakes next week):

Block:  1969 stock 440 Chrysler cast iron
Compression:  10.1:1 (stock)
Heads:  906 cast iron
Intake valve size:  2.08" stock
Exhaust valve size:  1.75" stock
Camshaft:  Comp Cams CRB3 XR280HR-10,  .541/.537 gross lift, 230/236 duration @ .050" lift
         Camshaft was installed at recommended 106* centerline, and it has a 110* lobe separation
Lifters:  Scorpion roller hydraulic, set at 1/4 turn past zero lash
Rockers:  Harland Sharp, 1.5:1 ratio

See this thread for info on the problems we had with lifters...

Ignition/Carburetor/Intake Manifold/Exhaust Manifolds/Oil Pump:  All Stock Chrysler

**Update** 12/4/09
Confirmed details below:

Crankshaft - STD/STD original Chrysler steel, standard 3.750" stroke
Pistons - .030" over JE brand forged steel, total 4.350" bore
Valve springs - Comp Cams dual spring, set at 175lb. seated spring pressure before annealing, 125-135 after heat cycles
          Springs have 500lbs. pressure over the nose of the lobe
Pushrods - Smith Brothers .116" wall thickness

If there's something specific that you'd like to know about, I can always check it out and post back.

:cheers:

tan top

thats looks a good number ! for something soo stock looking :coolgleamA:
Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

charger_fan_4ever

Nice!

Any porting done on the cylinder heads or intake ?

hemigeno

I know they did a moderate amount of porting/polishing on the 906 cylinder heads, but I don't think they did much to the intake manifold.  If anything, they may have done some gasket/port matching.  Will double-check to see and report back.

TexasStroker

Should make for an excellent cruiser!  Thanks for sharing the #s!!
Founder, Amarillo Area Mopars
www.amarilloareamopars.com
Founder, Lone Star Mopars
www.lonestarmopars.com
Will set-up a regional Charger meet
Contact me for info!

70sixpkrt

That's just like my build. You will love the torque. :2thumbs:

440 bored .030=446
KB 237 pistons .003 deck height
Forged crank .010 under
Eagle 4340 H-beam rods
Comp is 10.25:1
Eddy heads 84cc with stage 1 and bowl blend
Straightline Cam 234/242@.050 540/525 solid with 112 lsa (4* built in) installed straight up
6-pack aluminum manifold with stock carbs. (Using ProMax stuff)
Comp pro-magnum 1.5 rockers with 3/8 Smith Bros. pushrods
TTI 1 7/8 headers with 3" X cross-over exhaust to the tips
MSD 8546 dist.
MP MSD 6AL
Dana 60 with 3:54

491hp/535 torque

440-6pk, 4-speed, Dana 60 with 3:54  
13.01 @107.93 (street tires spinning all the way down)

Musicman

Considering the fact that a bone stock 68 440 Magnum puts out about 315Hp & 433 TQ, your numbers are quite the improvement. There's some magic in that build somewhere... nice job :2thumbs:

firefighter3931

That's a fantastic build Gene....killer numbers with the stock intake/exhaust manifolds. That big fat torque curve is exactly what you need in a winged warrior. It'll be a blast to drive. Kudo's to the engine builder.  :2thumbs:

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

hemigeno

Thanks everyone, I'm anxious to put some seat time behind this engine.  It may be just a touch of a letdown after wheeling a roller-cammed Hemi around for 11 years, but I think I'll survive.  Maybe the low-end torque of this 440 build compared to the Hemi will actually make the wedge feel stronger (I usually don't spend much time in the upper RPM band)?

Quote from: 70sixpkrt on November 24, 2009, 08:23:56 PM
That's just like my build. You will love the torque. :2thumbs:

491hp/535 torque

Great numbers there - wish they had put 6pks in Daytonas  :yesnod:

Quote from: firefighter3931 on November 24, 2009, 10:58:46 PM
That's a fantastic build Gene....killer numbers with the stock intake/exhaust manifolds. That big fat torque curve is exactly what you need in a winged warrior. It'll be a blast to drive. Kudo's to the engine builder.  :2thumbs:

Ron

Thanks, Ron!  I know it would feel like trying to run underwater for you to "limit" an engine to the stock components.  If I wasn't so stuck on keeping things original, I would have asked you to conjure up a list of components to give your 446 a run for the money.  *sigh*

firefighter3931

Quote from: hemigeno on November 25, 2009, 09:09:17 AM

Thanks, Ron!  I know it would feel like trying to run underwater for you to "limit" an engine to the stock components.  If I wasn't so stuck on keeping things original, I would have asked you to conjure up a list of components to give your 446 a run for the money.  *sigh*

Gene, looking at your dyno results and comparing them to my 446 i can make these comments ;

-Your's has more torque down low (peak @3400 vs 4400)...where it's needed in your application
-Your's would feel better to drive and have better throttle response in the lower rpm range
-Your's is going to idle much nicer/cleaner than mine  :icon_smile_big:
* the only place where mine is any better is up top past 4800....an area that you will rarely see.  ;)

Honestly i don't think that this engine will be down much vs the 426 but it will be a lot more responsive off idle and up to 4000 rpm. You'll be pleasantly surprised. I know i've said it many times but it's worth repeating....torque rules !   :2thumbs:

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

SeattleCharger

Why would you want anything else?  Just give me a Charger and I'll be happy.

kamkuda

hemigeno

Thanks, Rob - hope to catch up with you at one of the shows soon.  (Most of) this engine will be at the 'Nats in August, will you be there?  If I hit Carlisle this year it'll be with the new-and-improved green bomber.

Sad to say, more than 2 years after this thread began the Daytona and this engine still has not gone a single mile on the road or done anything past idling in & out of the trailer.  I'm really hoping that'll change right after the concours judging at this year's 'Nats.

:cheers:

kamkuda

Not sure which events I am going to this year.  My procharged Road Runner should hopefully be finished so I may go to some drag racing events more, but I hope we can get together on one event.   :cheers:

I really would like to see the truck too!

C500

Geno, good thread. I'm putting together a similar build. Between the info posted here and picking some expert brains on the forum, I can't wait to put the hammer down when she's done.
"An aggressive exterior with power to match was enough to pull in the performance boys-especially when abetted by a pair of pipes blaring out the back, and brawny red-sidewall rubber hitting the pavement."  

"........the four speed box changes cogs with the precision of a sharp axe striking soft pine."

hemigeno